Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

miles on an lt1??any good

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 08:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Formula
Engine: Carbed 5.7
Transmission: TKO-600
miles on an lt1??any good

hey guys not really third gen related but i figure could help some and will def help me. ok well i am looking to get like a 93-96 camaro or firebird with a lt1 and an auto. now the ones in my price range have 80-95 thousand miles on them and i am really not familier with these cars so i am wondering what high milage is on these, if i were to buy one with that kind of milage could i expect to be able to beat on it some of the time and still have a good daily driver? also anything i need to watch out for when i buy one of these? oh and one more thing what kind of gas milage are these things getting stock? thanks again guys
Old 01-27-2003, 08:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of my friends bought a 95z28 with 75k and so far he's had to replace the opti spark and the water pump. Other than that it's been reliable. Not sure of the mileage. Probably something like 17/23.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 5.7 L98 TPI
Transmission: 700 R4
to have that many miles on a car like that enitrely depends who has owned it and how it has been taken care of. I have seen some of these cars with 50k miles on the clock and totally ragged out, and I have seen them with 200k on the clock and be in decent shape. Rather than look at the odometer, make your judgement on how the car looks and drives as a whole. If grandma has put all the 90k miles on it, then chances are its a good one, if 17 year old junior has put 50k on another car, better look REAL close at it, maybe even steer clear. Not alot of suprises as far as reliability. My personal experience with these cars has been good, so all I can tell you is what I have experienced and seen. Having said that, look for the obvious, tire wear, smoke from anywhere, play in the steering, etc. I personally would not hesitate to buy an lt1 for a daily driver. gas mileage isnt bad (as muchas 28 mpg on the highway). For most of these that I have seen that have been daily drivers, and have been taken care of, it is reasonable to get 200k out of it. having owned a 95 camaro myself, I would avoid black paint if possible. Seemed like scratches were magnified on it. Mine had t-tops, and had NO trouble with leaks. It wasnt an lt1, but it was one of the best cars i had ever owned. ...miss that car. If you do get one, a k&n filter will help, and there are some easy and cheap (if not, free) mods you can do to it that will make it better, but I do hope you dont ever have to put plugs or wires on one... TIGHT FIT! The lt1 was SHOEHORNED in those cars!

Hope that helps