Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

are all O2 sensors created equal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are all O2 sensors created equal?

Are all GM 4 wire O2 sensors going to be the same? I am going to covert to a 4 wire O2 sensor and sense i had ordered alot of parts from gmpartsdirect.com i decided to order an O2 sensor also. i got the part # from some website that hada bunch of 4 wire O2 sensors but it didnt' say what car they were from. And only one O2 sensor part # showed up at gmpartsdirect so i got that one. GM 25312184 ACDelco afs-75 how can i tell if this is a wide band or narrow band? and will it work with my comptuer? i know i should of checked this earlier but oh well.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:49 PM

Car: 1996 Camaro
Engine: 3800 V-6
Transmission: 4L60E Automatic
As far as O2 sensors goes.......I have a 1992 Firebird single wire hook up and run a Bosch one in mine..........$18.99 at autozone and kinda pricy but its definatly needed in our cars........im sure if you did a part search like at autozone or pep boys you will find alot of other vehicle components work in F-Body cars.............example: I have a 200* C-4 Corvette fan switch in mine...which is availible for 5.7 liter motors........the only thing I can think of would be the thread size of the one you got from gmpartsdirect........good luck......
Old 01-28-2003, 10:59 AM

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by chitowncruiser
...$18.99 at autozone and kinda pricy but its definatly needed in our cars...
Wow! I remember the FIRST oxygen sensor I had to buy for automotive use on an '80 EFI Cadillac. I'd used them before that for industrial gas generators, and they were ridiculously priced (several hundred dollars). IIRC, the replacement was about $65.00 in the mid-'80s. In today's terms, that would be more like $150.00 or more. Maybe it was because they were "new", or maybe because it came from a Caddy dealer, but I would have gladly paid less than twenty bucks for one back then. That's one of the cheapest regular maintenance items you can get on an EFI system. You'll save more in fuel than that over the life of the sensor.

As for the similarity or differences of O.E.M. GM sensors, most of the ones I've seen are a 14mm thread, like many spark plugs. There may be other threads, but the basic differences are probably connector configuration and lead length. GM has used nothing but zirconia type sensors since the '80s, so you can't screw up there.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:10 PM

Car: 1996 Camaro
Engine: 3800 V-6
Transmission: 4L60E Automatic
Vader..........it does seem like everyone seems to forget that little guy sitting on the drivers side under the manifold when it comes to doing Mods on our cars..me included im guilty of it.......but it was the best investment I made besides putting on a new Cat to pass Emissions here in Illinois..............You Dont Know The Power Of The Darkside.