Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

speedometer troubles help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003 | 09:39 PM

speedometer troubles help please

well, i was in the process of taking out my orange oem lights from behind my speedometer and change them to blue hyper lights when the speedometer face came off . or should i say popped?? anyways my speedometer came off and was dangling by i guess it is the cable(really thin wire) anyways there was a spring that came off and fell on the floor so my speedometer was just dangling. so i put everything back(except the speedometer of course and pieced it all together. the lights look great! but my question is how much should it cost to get the cable fixed?? or can i ?? am i just going to have to drive around with no speedometer?? nothing else was harmed just the speedometer. could gm just order a speedometer for it and plug it in?? if so could i change to a 145mph one without changing anything else?? i know these are dumb questions but pleases help and bare with me! thanks you guys!!
Old 01-23-2003 | 05:47 AM

Car: 84 Z-28 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: richmond 3.73, eaton posi
the speedo cable is about 1/8" and has square profile and is in a case that is about 1/2" in diameter and attached to the back of the speedo with a clip. the cable is relitevly cheap and easy to change, and avable ta you local auto parts store, but I don't think by your descricption that's what you broke, but I can't be sure without pictures. The 145 speedo will bolt right in if you can find one (good luck) the only diffreance is the location of the trip odemeter reset button which will require you to drill a hole in your clear platstic or do away with it alltogeather.(I did this and have had no problems, wish I had a 145 though, my clear plastic was all white when I bougth the car so I just threw it out)
Old 01-23-2003 | 06:43 AM

i'll tell you what i broke.

you see the really thin wire that runs the needle itself. i don't think it is anything hard to find but it does turn the needle i think?? ill show you a picture when my digital camera boots up