Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car won't start, after being turned off

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car won't start, after being turned off

Hi all! I have an '88 305 TBI Camaro. The other day, I was driving to work, and had to stop for gas. When I got back in the car, it would not start, and the check engine light would not come on. I had to leave the car there.
When I went later that night, with the tow truck driver, it started right up.
I warmed it up the next morning, and turned it off to test it, it would not restart. And, again no check engine light-all the other lights work and the radio...etc.

Here are a few things that I noticed:

It tries to turn over.
It drives perfect when running.
Check engine light-not on after trying to restart.
I changed the ECM fuse-I always carry a spare.

I will have to check to see if I can hear the fuel pump when I get home(I am at work).

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Anything I should check? I am stumped. I would rather have some direction to start. Unlike last time, when I took my gas tank apart to get to my fuel pump-when it was a ECM fuse.

Thanks,
Jayson

Last edited by jaysonds; 01-22-2003 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:01 PM

Sounds like the starter solenoid is soaking up too much heat. You could try putting a heat shield around the solenoid. Or you could install a remote one.

https://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/solenoid.shtml
Old 01-22-2003, 02:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the check eng light will not come on with the key on when it isn't starting then I'd suggest replacing the fuseable links down by the starter. They (one or both) are most likely breaking down and the heat from the engine running is making them flake out.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:56 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS - Fully Restored w/Custom Int
Engine: LO3 with some mods
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Richmond
I had a very similar problem.

It turned out the rubber pick up hose connected to my fuel pump had become torn.

During cold starts, the tear was small enough so that fuel was still able to reach the engine. The car started up and ran fine.

During hot starts or after shutting the engine off, the tear expanded due to fuel pressure and friction so that fuel never got out of the gas tank. The end result was that the car would not start until the tear contracted through cooling (done be letting the car sit for a few hours)

If you haven't checked your fuel pressure or replaced your fuel pump lately, I bet this is your problem.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:27 AM

Check and see if there is a fuse on the passenger side fender. If so check the link from the battery to the fuse. It may be loose. I had this happen. Car cranked but no fuel or computer(engine light). If you have changed the battery cable in the past this is very likely. Let us know. I doubt it is a starter problem but you never know.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:39 PM

Fix but not sure really why?

Ok,

First off, I changed the battery since it was pretty old. Simply changing the battier fixed my issue.

Don't ask my why the cars ignition light would not come on after it warmed up; when every other electrical component worked without a problem.

Must have been, as what someone posted, the batteries cell failing out and creating a negative impulse with flux compositor which unlocked the muffler bearings causing the car to quabobulate on the slagin cam.

However, I learned something new with each and every post.

THANKS for assisting.

Jayson
88 Convert

Last edited by jaysonds; 01-26-2003 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2003, 03:01 PM

flux campacitor, muffler bearings....lol:sillylol: you can go to warp 7 now!