Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Alarm Module will not let car start! How to bypass...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS; 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham
Engine: LH0 3.1 Liter V6; YBN 2.8 Liter V6
Transmission: TH-700-R4; TH-440
Alarm Module will not let car start! How to bypass...

Hey guys,
I had an alarm on my camaro, but then I lost the stupid remote when it fell off my key into my engine bay to never be seen again (bout a year ago). The problem is, I disconnected the power lead off of my alarm module, and rigged a kill switch to a wire that goes into the firewall that apparently kills the starter if it does not have power. The problem is, if I disconnect this wire from alarm module, the car will not start. Can I bypass this alarm module and just unplug and remove it, while I put the 12v power lead into this starter kill wire? There will be a switch between the starter kill wire and the 12v alarm power wire, I just wanna know if I am gonna blow anything up. Where is this starter wire rigged to in my engine bay also? Let me know so I can get rid of all this alarm crap, maybe I'll get a better one someday
Old 01-11-2003, 06:07 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '89 GMC Pickup
Engine: 383 SBC Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4/VIG 3200
Factory alarm or aftermarket? What brand. Most alarms have instruction somewhere on the net.

There is probably a large yellow or purple wire that's been cut under the dash above or close to the steering column. Find where the alarm, or a relay from the alarm, is wired into that wire and reattach the large yellow or purple wire ends back together where it's been spliced. In other words, most alarms just break this wire somewhere in the circuit under the dash.

Look at some of the alarm sites on the net. Read the instructions and you should be able to figure out which wire was cut to bypass your starter by your alarm.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:20 AM

Its an aftermarket Chapman alarm. Its module is a gray plastic box with Chapman logo on it. I want that thing out.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 89 FORMULA 350, 91 Z28 Convertible
Engine: ls1, LB9
Transmission: t56, Auto
Axle/Gears: S60/ 3.73
SMasterson said it pretty well, just reconect the cut wires that were cut you can't miss them they are like 10 guage or so and the rest of the wires you should be able to cut off just leave a little tail and tape them off so if some thing happens you can atleast put the alarm back on and order a remote.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:02 PM

Yea thanks guys, you summed it up pretty well, heres what happened: I went down to my car this morning and looked at the steering column and the wires coming out of it. I see where the people who put in the alarm in cut the 10 guage yellow wire, and attached a 14 guage white wire which goes into the alarm module. I then saw where the yellow wire continued into the car's dash further, and that had a white/red stripe wire going into the alarm module. I then figured that when the key was turned, the alarm module would complete the connection, so I took off the alarm module by simply unplugging it, and connected the white wire with the white/red stripe wire. I still can hold my kill switch in this setup, which is pretty nice. Thanks alot, I was going to use the power wire, which may have cranked the starter even tho the ignition was not on, thanks guys.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:54 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '89 GMC Pickup
Engine: 383 SBC Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4/VIG 3200
Glad it worked for you. I should have know it was the yellow wire since the purple one is where I attach my remote start buttom when I'm setting the valves or need to crank the engine from under the hood. (Getting to my starter under my headers is a pain!)

The purple wire is the crank wire, in simpler words.
Old 01-12-2003, 11:33 AM

A thirdgen caralarm & remote start install guide is avaliable here:

http://www.p71interceptor.com/thirdgen/alarminfo