Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

ahhhhhhhhh leaking fuel from regulator!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ahhhhhhhhh leaking fuel from regulator!!!

Um guys, i got the regulator back together and the car was running fine and i didn't see any leaks.... but after driving and smelling fuel, i took a look and realized that there was fuel pouring out from the front flange of the regulator.. i am currently taking off the plenum to check it, but why would it be leaking if all the screws are tight? if i can't fix this then i am gonna be screwed an have to buy the holley unit...
Old 01-03-2003, 09:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
If you somehow manage not to kill yourself, at least have someone kick you in the nuts until you're completely unable to have kids...
Old 01-03-2003, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2002 SOM z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T-56
Re: ahhhhhhhhh leaking fuel from regulator!!!

Originally posted by breathment
if i can't fix this then i am gonna be screwed an have to buy the holley unit...
Oh the horror! Buying the right part and not blowing up your car! The amount of $$$ you've spent on this "mod"... time involved too (granted mine typically runs about $27/hr) and you'd think the correct part is an actual bargin
Old 01-03-2003, 09:39 PM

Car: 1972 Corvette
Originally posted by kevinc
If you somehow manage not to kill yourself, at least have someone kick you in the nuts until you're completely unable to have kids...
LMAO!
Old 01-03-2003, 09:39 PM
Supreme Member

ok, correction. its coming from the base of the regulator block, where the front hose goes into it. its tight and still leaking some..
Old 01-03-2003, 10:19 PM

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
Better check the 'O' rings. Even an aftermarket regulator can do that, but for 200x the price.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:46 PM
Supreme Member

ya thats what i thought the problem is, i just don't understand how it will all of a sudden start leaking so bad. UNLESS it was because it looks like the hose isn't going in perfectly straight. im gonna go pick up some O-rings tomorrow. know what size i need?
Old 01-03-2003, 11:35 PM

I doubt its the o-ring. More likely its the housing not against the bottom part of the regulator. The front clamp usually sticks up, in the way.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:46 AM
Supreme Member

madmax, could u please explain some more. what do u mean by housing? are u talking about the cap?

thanks
Old 01-04-2003, 02:01 AM

The line that goes into the regulator, in the front, has a metal clamp thats held in by a couple torx head bolts IIRC. The metal clamp usually sits up higher than the surface on the regulator. When you put the cap back on, it can end up on top of this clamp, leaving a nice gap.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:46 AM
Supreme Member

well im pretty sure the leak is coming from the line itself where it connects to the regulator body. at first i thought it was the cap, and so i took the cap off and retightened it, and it leaked just as bad. so i loosened the two front bolts that hold that clamp on, and tried to pry the hose so that it went in more straight, and retightened those two bolts and the leak is alot smaller now, it was enough to where i thought it was somewhat safe to get me home. (had a fire extinguisher in the back). i now remember having some problems when i was trying to get that hose it, it was hard to push in and i think it was becuase i didn't lube the o-ring. and so i am wondering maybe if i tore the o-ring or something. i will however double check tomorrow to make sure that the clamp isn't causing the cap not to come down far enough. thank you for ur suggestion..
Old 01-04-2003, 12:17 PM

You should prelube the 'O' rings with clean engine oil before assembly to prevent scuffing and tearing (the same as for injector 'O' rings). If you have a damaged 'O' ring, you'll need to replace it.

As far as the line clamp interference, if you assembled the regulator before installaing it, the issue shouldn't exist.
Attached Thumbnails ahhhhhhhhh leaking fuel from regulator!!!-afpr.jpg  
Old 01-04-2003, 01:39 PM
Supreme Member

ya i lubed the other ones, but this was the only o-ring that stuck inside the regulator housing instead of the tubing and i was in a rush. pretty sure that is my problem then

thanks alot guys:hail:
Old 01-04-2003, 05:23 PM
Supreme Member

Vader was right, the piece that was torn off was inside the regulator body, and i had to blow it out with a straw after taking the cap off..
Attached Thumbnails ahhhhhhhhh leaking fuel from regulator!!!-oring.jpg  
Old 01-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Supreme Member

oh ya, before i took the old o-ring out, i decided to goto autozone to pick up a new one. and i was just going to see if they had a large assortment that i could buy, so in the future i could have some. well they didn't, but they supposivly did have a kit for the fuel rail, to replace all those o-rings, so i though, hmm i guess that will work so i don't have to come back.. well. the old o-ring is on the left, they size of the one they gave me was on the right. needless to say i had a bigger leak with the new o-ring they gave me then i did with the old one!! so i had to go back up to autozone and match up the size with the old one. everything works now..
Attached Thumbnails ahhhhhhhhh leaking fuel from regulator!!!-badoring.jpg  
Old 01-04-2003, 09:27 PM

Darnit, I just got the hot dogs and marshmallows.
Old 01-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Supreme Member

haha, well we could of almost used them, if i hadn't of fixed it i was thinking about calling u over here to help me out!
Old 01-05-2003, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by Z_Ghost
Darnit, I just got the hot dogs and marshmallows.
That's O.K., Z.

Hang on to those weenies. Anth is about to play with the fuel pump on his ride, and DuffMan is thinking about installing a slave pump on his Camaro. You'll get your chances before the preservative wears off in your Plumper....
Old 01-05-2003, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by breathment
haha, well we could of almost used them, if i hadn't of fixed it i was thinking about calling u over here to help me out!
I have a new box of blue tipped matches that has not been opened, I would have like to have tried them out.

Originally posted by Vader
That's O.K., Z.

Hang on to those weenies. Anth is about to play with the fuel pump on his ride, and DuffMan is thinking about installing a slave pump on his Camaro. You'll get your chances before the preservative wears off in your Plumper....
Let me know and I will be there, if it looks like they are going to burn for some time I will bring ribs.