Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

WB Lambda

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WB Lambda

If you clicked on this thread you´re probably aware of what a wideband lambda sensor is,and that buying stand alone systems(converter and sensors) are fairly expensive.
Not only that,but the NTK UEGO has skyrocketed in price range also.

Here´s the deal.

We´re a team of enthusiasts that are currently well under way of putting together a digital converter based on the currently available Bosch sensor instead.

The digital converter will be able to sample not only the WB data,but we´re at the moment trying to figure out the neccesary other input as well.
Ie; TPS voltage,MAP voltage aso.

The cheapest resource for OEM install Bosch´s at the moment seems to be Volvo.

We´re thinking along the lines of marketing this digital box including software needed to run via laptop,and the price range will hoover around the 350$ mark.

Sensor will run another 150 approx.

Would you in this case have interest in such a tool for said money?
Old 12-09-2002, 09:58 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 241 Likes on 196 Posts
I only clicked on it because I wanted to know how many Krona $350.00 is...

Anyway, as with any marketing scheme, you need to unsderstand the demand, factor the development, production, and marketing costs, and see if the market will pay the cost. It sounds like you're in that process.

For the sensor itself, don't overlook coolant temperature, since it directly affects fuel demand and delivery. Intake air temperature and load via either MAP or TPS/MAF would be useful, too.

I'm not sure I would order one, but I would look.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:50 AM

Thanx for the swift reply.
The thing is that this here tool is made BY racers FOR racers.
Being digital in operation the microprocessor used is basically so much overkill it isn´t evn funny.
In other words we vividly discuss other sample options at the moment.

Basically any analogue input could be sent into the box per se.

The same guy that wrote the WinALDL is our software guy(Joby).

The basic demands from at least MY point of view would be to be able to sample;
Engine revs
MAP value
TPS value
WB output.

Jonas suggested that he´d put together software that would let us log all of the input variables as well as putting them up on each other in graphical form via a window on the lap.

All in all i´d like to explain this a little.
Basically the converter is an answer to OUR OWN needs.
Ie;none of us involved want´s to spend any more money on being able to monitor our work the need be.
Sensor cost,or over time increasing cost,for the NTK unit led us to look at other solutions.
Enter the Bosch LS unit.

Here is where you guys enter.
Altho we understand OUR needs,it´s always useful to have you guys input as far as for instance other sample input.

Btw.
This is NOT designed to be an "amatuer toy".
PCB will be pro built.
Casings will be CNC cut
Aso.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:48 PM

Car: 1988 Mustang GT
Engine: 302
Transmission: T5
um, ok... now explain to me what this lambda wideband sensor is
Old 12-09-2002, 09:15 PM

Car: Malibu 80, T/A 87, S-15 87
Engine: 267 Bu, 305 T/A, 350 S-15
Transmission: Auto Bu, 5spd T/A, Auto S-15
Lambda

Hi there,
from what i've heard, it's an oxygen sensor (thoses in the new cars right now) that react faster to the exaust gas so that the optimum mixture is obtained much quicker = power, fuel economy, less emissions
Old 12-09-2002, 11:03 PM

Car: 1988 Mustang GT
Engine: 302
Transmission: T5
o2 sensor... what's that all joking aside i'd probably be interested seeing as im going to a fuel inj. setup in the future
Old 12-10-2002, 06:51 AM

I´ll try to explain this briefly in laymans terms.
An O2 sensor is basically a small generator.
By designing a Nerst cell to put in the exhaust stream we can retrieve data on how the engine is doing.
This is basically old news.
Most vehicles since the mid 80;s run what we call narrow band O2;s
The problem with the NB Nerst cell is that the output isn´t linear,but more like a 90deg tipped over x3 graph.
It leaves data that can be trusted upon at and around Lambda 1.(Stochiometric AF)
The thing is that by redesign of the Nerst cell and much more minute control of what goes within it,we arrive at the Wideband O2 sensor.
The thing with the WB is that the output from it is almost linear,making is much more feasable to "see" what goes on under the running conditions that attracts most of us.
Wide open throttle.

Problem is that as the WB runs on MUCH tighter tolerance,it needs a controller to operate,or a converter if you like.

This converter controls the heating of the element as well as functioning as sort of an amplifier for the retrieved signal.

This is where we come in.
We´re at the moment hard at work making such a "black box" for true automotive use.
Ie;One that will take the pounding from being tossed around as well as retrieving OTHER vital data to work with when tuning your car for maximum performance.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 93 GM300 platforms
Engine: LO3, LO5
Transmission: MD8 x2
IIRC, one of the DIY web sites/groups already used the WB O2 sensor from a Honda, and they did the layout on A/D boards to allow the data to be captured.

I haven't looked at it in a while but I have a neighbor who was involved in the project and he's populated at least one of his boards.

Do a search on the DIY fuel injection web sites and I'm sure you'll find it. Info linking to it may already be on the ThirdGen site too (so try a search here). HTH - Ken