Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Clogged Cat What Temp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002 | 03:57 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

Clogged Cat What Temp?

what would the temp be or the temp differance be if i had a clogged cat on a car, or truck? i have 320*F in front of the cat, 450*F at the cat and 220*F behind the cat, all temps were taken within 12" of the cat. thanks
Old 11-30-2002 | 05:02 PM
FJK

It might be doubtful someone actually has the temperature delta 's you are looking for. You might want to consider getting those numbers from another (similar) vehicle without a clogged cat & used those temperatures to interpret your existing values. This assumes you are getting the measurements with an infrared "heat gun" at idle, and not instrumented thermalcouples.
FJK
Old 11-30-2002 | 05:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: yy wife, crazy.
Engine: 350, Vortecs, 650DP
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: 8.5", 3.42
As bass ackwards as it may sound, the exhaust should be hotter AFTER the cat. There's a lot of burning that goes on inside the cat and because of that, it's hotter after the cat.

Here's a link with some tricks on how to tell if your cat is clogged.

http://www.autosite.com/garage/encyclop/ency03b.asp

You can test for plugging with an ordinary vacuum gauge. Take a reading at idle, then hold rpm at 2,500. The needle will drop when you first open the throttle, then stabilize. If it then starts to fall, suspect excessive back-pressure.

But don't stop there because this isn't a one-test, go/nogo kind of situation. So, check back-pressure directly. With air injection, you can disconnect the check valve from the distribution manifold, and plug in a pressure gauge (you want one with a low scale). Or, remove the O2 sensor and take your reading at its hole in the manifold. Since specs for the normal pressure range vary considerably, look it up (if you can find it). As a rule of thumb, however, we'll say that anything over 1.25 psi at idle, or more than 3 psi at 2,000 rpm, means you've got blockage somewhere.

Speaking of direct tests, you might want to think about opening a connection or temporarily removing the oxygen sensor to relieve pressure. How's it run now? And you may as well take another vacuum reading if you can stand the noise and fumes.

With the engine fully warmed up and running, you can use a surface thermometer or a pyrometer to compare the temperature of the pipe just ahead of the converter with that of the outlet pipe. If the outlet temperature is at least 100 deg. F. higher than the inlet temperature, the catalyst is working after all, its most important job is to cause HC and CO to burn up, and that process makes heat. If both readings are nearly the same, or the outlet is cooler than the inlet, the rapid oxidation reaction isn't happening. Don't jump to an unfortunate conclusion just yet though because the problem may be lack of air injection (a subject I'll get to momentarily) rather than a contaminated catalyst.
AJ
Old 11-30-2002 | 07:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Monte Carlo SS...
Engine: T.P.I L98.
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi
I think I would have to agree wiht AJ. Therefore it is a good guess that either your cat is pluged, or you are missfiring or something that could cause fuel to enter the cat itself...

Keiran
Old 11-30-2002 | 08:22 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

thanks, that's great stuff and gives me something to work with. today my truck developed a miss, not all the time but a miss. i thought the tune up was good, but you never know about that stuff so i'll replace the cap, wires and plugs since it never hurts and easier to replace while i'm checking. since i was fairly sure the tune up should be good i thought about the cat and took some readings with my temp gun after i parked it. based on the temp readings i have a plugged cat, but i know i have a miss so that may not be the case. i'll do the tune up stuff and go from there. actually my first thought was a burnt valve since it seemed to drop a cylinder under load or pulling a hill, but i rebuilt the engine a year ago and i'd have hard time believeing i burnt a valve this quick. thanks again for the help
Old 11-30-2002 | 08:27 PM
Supreme Member

Glad to be of help ede... So you do have a miss then. That can definately cause the cat to heat up, raw fuel and all. Bad part is...you most likely need a new cat now. Once they get to hot, they are usually done for.

Keiran
Old 11-30-2002 | 10:45 PM
FJK

I don't think an occasional or continous miss is the symptom of a plugged CAT. Additionally, inadvetantly overheated a cat by using a GM scan tool in the field service mode, which I understood drove the mixture lean. There was no permanent damage to the CAT. Symptoms of plugged CAT is a serious loss of power/acceleration, the body of the CAT glowing red, & a restrictive whooshing sound from the exhaust.

What type of engine is in your truck? Carb or FI
Old 11-30-2002 | 10:50 PM
Supreme Member

Actually the unburned fuel entering the cat, can and will burn the cat out...otherwise plugging it soild.
Old 12-01-2002 | 07:40 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

truck is a 1990 chevy 4x4 4.3 m5 rebuilt the engine last winter, has maybe 15,000 on the rebuild.