Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Which great anti theft device should I purchase?...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which great anti theft device should I purchase?...

With crooks roaming around out there, and me being not one bit secure I need some security in my life.

How should I protect my car from break in, or from being stolen?

The steering wheel lock bar thing?

That new brake lock thing, that locks onto your brake?

Or a security system with alarm?

I am really thinking of a security alarm system, one that shuts off the starter and all that good stuff to keep my car in place. I really need a good one. I was thinking maybe that one from Crutchfield that they advertise, or is there one better? Cobra? OR some type
Old 11-24-2002, 06:06 PM

Re: Which great anti theft device should I purchase?...

A combination of security devices will be the most effective setup at keeping your car where you parked it.

Thirdgen car alarm/remote start install info is avaliable at:

http://www.p71interceptor.com/thirdgen/alarminfo

Originally posted by ChevyLuva3
With crooks roaming around out there, and me being not one bit secure I need some security in my life.

How should I protect my car from break in, or from being stolen?

The steering wheel lock bar thing?

That new brake lock thing, that locks onto your brake?

Or a security system with alarm?

I am really thinking of a security alarm system, one that shuts off the starter and all that good stuff to keep my car in place. I really need a good one. I was thinking maybe that one from Crutchfield that they advertise, or is there one better? Cobra? OR some type
Old 11-24-2002, 06:30 PM

Car: 1984 F41 T-Top
Transmission: 5 speed
two systems I would recommend ...

1) is a typical car alarm, one to discourage wannabe thief.

2) is Lojack or other law enforcement tracking devices if your local law enforcement has it.

The reason I suggest these two is because if an average Joe thief sees that your car has an alarm they will walk on but if a pro or someone really disparate wants it or something in there, they will take it.

Lojack allows law enforcement follow the thief with unmarked cars an will recover your car with little or no damage (damage done by thief).

Stay away from the steering wheel bars ... they just temp a person to break in and take your car. Those bars are very easy to break and bypass.

Also take lots of pics of your inside for referance, if your car is broken into.
Old 11-24-2002, 06:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
It is extremely easy to shatter the bar with a common chemical. The bar is all kinds of hard but the lock is a POS.

2 levels of protection are always better than one. Usually if yerbasic thief sees you have the 1st line of protection, they'll move on to some other easier car to hork. The 2nd line of defense should stop (or at least way slow down) the determined kind.
Old 11-24-2002, 11:21 PM

car security

Put a Pitbull in the drivers seat lol

No seriously if they want your car they are gonna get it one way or the other. Lowjack is a good effective recovery system. I was raised in the NE so I know they work well and most law enforcement have them. Your best bet is a recovery system if you even want your car back after having been stolen

Last edited by radiateu2; 11-24-2002 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-24-2002, 11:35 PM
Supreme Member

With no security devices in place, I had my car stolen from me about a year ago. Fortunately it was recovered and the damage was fairly limited. That's sort of beside the point though. Since then, I've installed two anti-theft devices. Your standard alarm seems to have reduced/eliminated vandalism, people breaking windows to steal stuff, etc. There has been a few times when multiple cars around mine have been broken into and rummaged through, while mine was left untouched. The second device I added is a hidden kill switch. Hopefully, if anybody ever breaks into my car again, the switch will keep them from taking the car (although at that point, damage has more than likely already been done). I feel that this is as good a combination as is reasonable. It should stop the lower end of thieves. I wouldn't expect to be able to stop somebody who really wants it and knows what they are doing. Oh yeah, a nice, secure, indoor parking spot would help.

Well, I hope that gives you a little to think about.

MikeS
Old 11-25-2002, 05:03 PM

My favorite kill switch is the mechanical hoodlock, as soon as you lock the hood it also kills the ignition or starter. Difficult to defeat since the electrical splices are under the locked hood of the car and you'll have to use a special tubular key or cut an armored steel cable to open the hood. Setup was popular back in the 1980's and is not something a theive encounters much anymore.

Last edited by 2vmodular; 11-25-2002 at 08:34 PM.