Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

how do i replace an oxygen sensor??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do i replace an oxygen sensor??

hey..i figured out that my oxygen sensor is bad..my car wont start i need help replacing the oxygen sensor. any advice is great thanks
Old 11-20-2002, 04:55 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Unplug it, unscrew it, screw in the new one and plug it in.

There's a special socket available for it, but I think it's a waste of money. I just cut the wire off the old one, use a normal deep socket, and tighten the new one with a wrench.

On the new one there will be never-seez on the threads. Make sure you don't wipe it off!
Old 11-20-2002, 04:58 PM

ok stupid questions..where is the oxygen sensor? can i buya new one at discount auto or pepboys? lol this is one thing ive never done on a car..ive built a few too
Old 11-20-2002, 05:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
Bad oxygen sensor won't cause a no-start.

3 things are required for a motor to run: fuel-air mixture in reasonable proportion, spark at the right time, compression. Which ingredient is missing? If the motor used to run but suddenly quit, odds are there's only one thing wrong, somewhere. It isn't the oxygen sensor. That's not to say that you rO2 sensor isn't bad, only that it isn't keeping the car from running.

Listen to the engine as you try to start it. Does it sound normal? That is, does it sound like there's instances of compression as the engine turns? OK, good. Smell the exhaust as you try to crank it. If it smells like fuel, you have fuel. (duh) If you don't smell fuel, shoot some starting fluid into the intake. If it starts and runs for a second or 2 then dies, you have no fuel. (duh) If it still doesn't run, you have no spark.

Once you figure out which thing is missing, then go looking for the part that's causing it.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
I'm with RB on this, that O2 sensor will not prevent you from starting your car. Have you pulled the error codes from the car yet?
Old 11-21-2002, 08:08 AM

yes ive pulled the codes, im gettin 34, 42, 44, 45...somone told me to disconnect the negative battery cable to get a more accurate test...i did...now i only get code 12 and the damn car wont start

help me:hail:
Old 11-21-2002, 08:17 AM

Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
a bad O2 sensor can cause a no-start indirectly.
Here's how:

A bad O2 sensor puts out lower than normal voltage. The computer reads this as a lean condition. Low=Lean.
The computer will compensate by richening the mixture.
Driving around rich all the time fouls plugs.
A motor with fouled plugs is hard to start.
Pull your plugs and look at them. They may need to be cleaned.
The oxygen sensor is located in the exhaust manifold.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:27 AM

hmmm...good point...will do later today thanks for your time =)
Old 11-21-2002, 10:27 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that is a good point, however with all those codes something more might be wrong.. see what the o2 sensor fixes.. good luck
Old 11-21-2002, 11:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
The O2 sensor will not cause a no-start. Codes and sensors are fine things to work on when your car runs, but doesn't run right; in a no-start situation, the first thing you need to do is to find out whether you are lacking fuel, or spark, or compression.

Don't waste your time on an O2 sensor until you figure out why the car doesn't run.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:31 AM

Car: 85 IROC
Engine: LB9
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I'm with RB, a bad o2 sensor will not cause a no start issue, in fact unless you have vats the whole kit and caboodle will start even with a bad ECM or PROM, it'll just run like crap. Gotta be a fuel/air, spark or compression issue...test those things first.

The reason you arent getting any codes now that you've cleared the ECM is that it hasn't run yet to generate any data.

The o2 sensor is usually in the drivers side exhaust collector.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:46 PM

well ive bought new spark plugs, new o2 sensor, and i figured i might as well do an oil change...ok well spark plugs are in...oil drained...next o2 sensor and oil fiter....well I CANT GET THA DAMN O2 SENSOR OFF!!! sorry...:sigh: anywayz. the o2 sensor is in the passanger side after the 2 exhaust pipes join into 1...this damn thing will not budge...is there a special tool i need? oh and i cant find my oil filter wrench so ill have to buy a new one
Old 11-21-2002, 01:49 PM

Car: 85 IROC
Engine: LB9
Axle/Gears: 3.42
they do make an o2 socket, but you dont need it, I poped mine loose last time with a wrench, easier to do from under the car, it takes a little force if its cold...if you have a torch availible, carefully warm the pipe around the sensor up a bit, should come out easier then
Old 11-21-2002, 03:24 PM

ya..well..i got it out...put the new one in...went to start car...nothing... i do hear this sliiight buzzing kinda sound comin from near tha distributor is that somthing to be conserned about?
Old 11-21-2002, 11:33 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 307
Originally posted by SmuurF
ya..well..i got it out...put the new one in...went to start car...nothing... i do hear this sliiight buzzing kinda sound comin from near tha distributor is that somthing to be conserned about?

Check the wires near the distributor they may be grounding out, pull the cap and smell it to see if anything smells or looks burnt inside. If everything looks good on the distributor reinstall it. p Next pull a plug wire pop an old plug on and lay it across the air cleaner lid, turn the car over and see if it shoots a spark across the gap. (Make sure nothing flamible is near the sparkplug. If no spark then its time to chase down a break in the ignition system. If there is a spark then you either have a fuel delivery problem or compression, check by spraying some carb cleaner into the intake and see if it fires. If all else fails take it around back and shoot it. Try these things and then get back to us.
Old 11-22-2002, 11:16 AM
doc
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '87 IROCZ
Engine: 395 ZZ4
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70s
Also, check your fuel pressure. Recently, my wifes Lumina would not start. It would crank forever, but not start. I put my fuel pressure gauge on it and found 0psi fule pressure. Fuel pump died, replaced it, now car runs just fine.

A stock '88 Camaro with a EFI TPI system should have about 45psi for fuel pressure. Put the gauge an the AN fitting, turn the key to the on position, read your fuel pressure.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:25 PM

now that ive figure out theres no spark...should i replace tha ignition coil, and tha plug wires? only 30-40 bucks for ea...
Old 11-22-2002, 06:58 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 307
No, replace the ignition module 1st. Thats probably what it is.
Old 11-22-2002, 11:51 PM
Supreme Member

Engine: LH0 3.1L
Originally posted by SmuurF
now that ive figure out theres no spark...should i replace tha ignition coil, and tha plug wires? only 30-40 bucks for ea...
There's no spark where??? At the plugs or at the coil??

Did you check for spark at the coil?
Old 05-20-2008, 07:10 PM

Car: 92 WS6 Trans am convertible
Engine: ls 6.2
Transmission: 4l80
Axle/Gears: 2.73's
Re: how do i replace an oxygen sensor??

my car been running strange since sunday, not to long after i put some gas in my car, my check engine light comes on sometimes, i check the codes and came back with a oxgen sensor code but that weeks ago and it was still running fine until sunday, so i dont know if it was the gas or just because i haven't change the oxgen sensor. my car hesitates at times and some times the power isn't there when i press the gas petal and sometimes it is. and it is also vibrating like never before. what should i do, i have some parts that need to be install on my car like spark plugs and wires, oxgen sensor, air fiter, rotor & cap.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:16 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: how do i replace an oxygen sensor??

I changed my O2 sensor today. It was easier than I thought.

Mine is a 89 RS V8. I got the AC Delco sensor from Amazon. It is a single wire sensor.

First I got the special sensor socket from Autozone. It is free, just pay for it and when you return it you get your money back (Some people here say they didnt need it, I dont see how). Remember to ask for some Never Seez compound, it is a dollar or two.

Then you need a rachet with a 10 inch extender.

The sensor is on driver side of the engine. Look right under the second spark plug from the back, it is screwed into the exhust. It's in tight space, take a good look at it and find the right angle you will be sending the socket in.

Now unplug the old wire, attach the socket to the extender and try to engage it with the sensor, when you get a good hold of the sensor, go to work with your rachet.

Here I expected great resistance to unscrew it, but it just turned open rather easily. I did not treat it with any WD-40 over night or anything else, just warmed up the exhust a little bit by letting the engine run.

Put some Never-Seez compound on the new sensor( the sensor came with some already applied, but it was too little) and the rest is just the reverse.

I think mine was the original sensor. I had my check engine light coming on. After I changed it, it hasnt happened yet.