Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Badly flooded engine, HELP!!! Won't start!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Badly flooded engine, HELP!!! Won't start!!

Okay, the quick and dirty story: I started the car the other day, it sounded rough, drove it a block and it died. Tried for several minutes to restart, finally noticed the electric choke was turned all the way on (first start in cold weather, forgot to adjust it), so the engine must be flooded is my only guess. Took out all the plugs and cleaned them, since they were badly gas fouled, but the engine still won't start.

I spoke to the AutoZone guy, and he said gas fouled plugs are usually worthless and need to be replaced. Has anyone else heard of this??? I'm probably just going to replace them, but if there's something less time consuming to try, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-05-2002, 08:28 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you let it dry out it should start ok for you
Old 11-05-2002, 10:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
Well it takes longer to take them out and jack with them than it does to just take them out and put new ones in.... you do the math.

On a cold day it is correct that the choke should activate itself. It does not require electicity for this, it is purely mechanical. The electric hookup is however required to get teh choke to come back off, as this is what heats it up.

Correct adjustment is usually where the choke just barely fully closes itself with the engine at about 70°. Any temp colder than that it should close fully; then when the car starts, there should be a vacuum diaphragm that opens it slightly; then as time goes by with the car running, the rlecetric heater should heat up its thermostat, and it should gradually relax and open over a period of a minute or 2.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:09 PM

Well, I waited a whole day for it to dry out, was that not long enough?

As far as new plugs not taking any longer to replace, I'm afraid you're incorrect and I'll explain why: these plugs are still under warranty, so I'll have to take them out, get down to the auto parts store, swap them, then come back and reinstall them. There's a little more overhead involved than just cleaning them and replacing them.

Anyway, is it possible the plugs are ruined just from fuel fouling???
Old 11-07-2002, 07:22 AM

Well, I answered my own questions this time. The plugs, even though I cleaned them and put them back, were apparently ruined by the fuel fouling: I got them replaced and the engine cranked like a champ. I guess you learn something new everyday...

You wouldn't think a set of plugs with only 2000 some miles could be ruined by a little gasoline, but experience is the ultimate teacher.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:37 AM

Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
<h1>Russ</h1>
(That's Big Russ for the rest of you...)

Even brand new plugs can become fuel fouled. The gasoline will soak and penetrate the porcelain or ceramic insulator, effectively shunting the spark energy directly to the grounded shell of the plug.

Last edited by Vader; 11-07-2002 at 08:48 AM.