Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Clutch problem? Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Camaro Heritage
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5
Clutch problem? Please Help

You people on here are awesome, and I have my faith in all of you. Ok, enuff mushy stuff. Heres the prob. I have a 92 Camaro RS 5-speed. I start it up just like normal. Put it in gear let out on clutch and it jerks like crazy. I push clutch back in, and it doesn't dissengage. I have to basically brake it to kill it. Now the clutch is on the floor. Won't go into any gear, and the clutch is completly dead. I turn my car off, start it back up, rev it up a few times, and it's now ok. It has done this to me twice. It seems like when it does it, is when I've left it sittin for a long time with the gearbox out of gear. I'm so comfused. The tranny shifts perfect, and doesn't make any funny noises. The clutch also seems to have plenty of bite as well, and once moving, it shifts perfect. It's all in the first few moments of startup that this happens. The clutches are hydraulic? right?,.....so how do you check fluid here. Could it be air in my line somewhere? I'm not the best mechanically, so go easy on me. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 355 C.I.
Transmission: 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42
You need a clutch assy
Old 10-30-2002, 08:56 AM

Even though the clutch has plenty of bite, I need a new one? Once the car "fixes itself" so to speak, it's like there's nothing wrong. The clutch doesn't slip at all, and when I let out, it grabs at the bottom of the clutch motion. Like I said, this has only happened twice, and both times, after it sat running for a few, it started working properly. I'm not doubting your intelligence Formula X-F, I just wanna make sure it's not something else besides the clutch. Truly, I hope that's all it is. Thanks for the info though. Anyone else with an idea?
Old 10-30-2002, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1984 Firebird
Engine: 350 Terminator EFI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10
i wanna say pilot bushing is trashed,

or perhaps your clutch fork and pivot ball are worn to the point where they can bind,

could be the same thing on the throwout bearing, it and the collar it rides on are binding,

could also be a broken, or bent ear on the clutch fork,

no matter what you need to take it apart and check it out
Old 10-30-2002, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the reply I'm writing this all down now.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:03 PM

I hate to keep bringing this up, but I just talked to my machanic. He's convinced that it's in the hydraulic system, but he's never seen a case like this before. Has anyone else had a similar incident like this? Is there any way that the clutch system can "leak down" without any fluid being noticed either on the ground, or underneath the car?
Old 10-30-2002, 12:18 PM

Car: 91 camaro rs
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Check the travel at the clutch fork as soon as you are having trouble. If it's a V6 there should be 11mm minimum movement and for a V8, 14.5mm minimum movement. If there isn't you have a clutch problem. Worth bleeding out first, before any deeply buried component is stripped out.

If there is air in the system, the next time it happens, pump the pedal up and down a few times. It will then gradually stiffen up. Once again, confirming the diagnosis.

Andy.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1984 Firebird
Engine: 350 Terminator EFI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Originally posted by Thundering Z03
I hate to keep bringing this up, but I just talked to my machanic. He's convinced that it's in the hydraulic system, but he's never seen a case like this before. Has anyone else had a similar incident like this? Is there any way that the clutch system can "leak down" without any fluid being noticed either on the ground, or underneath the car?

i suppose it could be hydraulic related, but as you said, there is no fluid on the ground, first off, have you checked the resivoir to see if it is low?

if it you still think it may be leakin, check the drivers side floor inside the car all the way up at the front and see if its wet, you may have to remove the plastic panel underneath the dash, to make an accurate diagnosis, if the clutch master cylinder is leaking it will leak inside the car
Old 10-30-2002, 09:03 PM

I'd have to say that its probley not in the hydrolics. Look for the throw out bearing hanging up on the trans collar or the pressure plate is junk. This would be the most likley. Pilot causes the car to be like it's stuck in gear but the clutch won't stay on the floor. Could be the shift fork and/or ball they have a tendacy to wear. Either way you need to yard that puppy outta there and see whats up. While your there replace the cluth assy regardless...
Old 10-30-2002, 09:23 PM

Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
I'd consider taking a close look at the hydraulics and the throwout FORK, not so much the bearing. I've had forks that have worh away and allowed the bearing to slip past, then back once the cluthc was released. Oddly, they can feel mushy like a hydraulic problem - even with a straight mechanical clutch linkage.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:36 PM

I re-read this post and I doubt if it's the tranny if that's your concern. If it happens like you wrote it... Pull the clutch for inspection. It's easy to do if your gonna tackle it on your own. I could have it setting on the ground in 15-20 minutes but that's with air tools and a hoist and I am a tech... That's how easy it is though....
Old 10-31-2002, 09:45 PM

Thanks for all of the advice. I don't have much time on my hands right now, so the car goes in the shop in the morning. I'll let you all know what I find out. I'm gonna have them go over all of it.