Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

TTA is getting ready to go into storage...question about humidity

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TTA is getting ready to go into storage...question about humidity

I'm getting ready to put our TTA in storage in our basement garage. The only thing that bothers me is that the humidity can get fairly high. I have a gauge that reads max/min throughout a 24 hour period and have seen it as high as 80%. Do you think I should use a standard dehumidifier to prevent high humidity? If so, where is the best place to buy one? Has anyone used this product: Goldenrod ?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-17-2002, 05:38 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 241 Likes on 196 Posts
Sanoz,

#1. I've never used the "Goldenrod" that requires electricity;

#2. Their advert states "Extracts moisture from the air..." What does it do with the moisture it "extracts"? I'm guessing it's just a low wattage heater that drives moisture out rather than absorbing it;

#3. If your basement is getting to 80%RH, you have a moisture problem for sure. There are better methods for dealing with that. I've discovered a few really good ones;

#4. Is the area heated?

#5. If you're storing in the basement of you living quarters, there might be some other concerns to address.

I've used (and am using) a Whirlpool dehumidifier designed especially to work in cooler areas without frosting the evaporator. It's great for basements and garages that might get colder than the average living space.

If you really have a problem, I might be able to find a spot in my heated garage for a TTA. I'll make sure it's all ready to go by July 1st. Just drive it up and drop it off...
Old 10-17-2002, 12:01 PM

Vader,

Thanks for the advice. My humidity was up to 80% earlier this summer when it was raining a lot and I had water seeping into the basement (that has since been fixed). The basement is below our living quarters, so it is heated. I currently have my Nova stored there. Within the next few weeks, the Nova will be moving to the corner of the basement so the TTA can go in it's place. Neither of these areas are extremely close to the furnace. However, the Nova will be closest to it and I am building a wall to separate it from the furnace. What other concerns would you have since it is under our living quarters?

Also, where did you buy your Whirlpool dehumidifier from...Sears? Oh yeah, I will have to pass on your offer to store the TTA at your place . Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:12 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

If you have vehicles stored whevever there is a furnace (or other source of ignition) you nee to have at least a 6" high barrier dividing the storage area from the ignition source. Gasoline vapors are heavier than air, and will follow the floor lines to wherever they lead. The minimum 6" high barrier is to prevent the vapors from finding their way through the wall/doorway and to your furnace. Unit heaters specifically designed and approved for garages are mounted higher on the wall or suspended from the ceiling to avoid the mixing of gasoline vapors and flames.

If you heat the garage area with your residential furnace, you should duct supplies to it only - no return air. If you don't heat the parking/storage area, you need to isolate and seal it as best you can.

As for the dehumidifier, you should be able to find a Whirlpool dealer in your area easily. The model I have is AD65USL-1, but your dealer should be able to advise what's appropriate for your situation. I'm not endorsing the brand, but just telling you what has worked for me. Any unit that works down at 40°F ambients should be fine for your heated garage or basement.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:59 PM

Vader,

Thanks for the additional info. The 6" barrier makes sense and it sounds like cheap insurance. I will have one wall separating the Nova from the furnace, but I think I will add some type of barrier around the TTA. The Nova has not run for years (it is next in line on the project car list), so I might drop the tank and store it somewhere else. The TTA is getting a fuel pump this winter, so I will be dropping the gas tank on it. Some type of barrier sounds like a necessity now that I think about it. Is it safe to build the barrier just around the furnace, or should it be built around the storage area?

The furnace I use for the living area is also the one that heats the basement/garage. It does not have any returns...so I should be okay there.

Thanks for the info on the dehumifier. It looks like I will be doing some shopping in the near future.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:28 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

As long as you have some effective means of separating the furnace from the work area (and any fuel vapors that may accumulate there) you should be safe. Without seeing your particular layout, I would hesitate to recommend how you do that.

If you have specific questions about your situation, you might want to contact an ASHRAE registered heating and cooling system technician from one of your local service companies. Or possibly better yet, contact your local building and zoning department. They should have staffed inspectors that are trained in proper methods, since they are responsible for approving installations in any construction. They are on the public payroll and already work for you anyway. As long as your building project doesn't require a permit (or you already have a building permit), there should be no reason not to call them for their free advice.

And when you drop the tank from the TTA, you may want to be extra cautious and shut off the furnace, water heater, and any other ignition sources in addition to ventillating the area until all traces of fuel vapor have dispersed. I'd hate to hear that you had an issue because of an oversight.