Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

K&N filter and now a bad noise from TB (#2)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 11:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N filter and now a bad noise from TB (#2)

So I just jot my K&N filter and a week later I have a loud rattle noise (dont know if it is related to new filter) from the TB. I hear it faintly when I have the engine running, But it is really loud when I press the gas pedal. I took off the filter cover and look at the TB. The 2 "blades" had moister on them and when I put my ear to the TB I could really hear the rattle.

Could a fuel injector have gone out. (the moister be fuel). Those are the fuel injectors right on top correct?

Sould I stop driving it until I get this prob fixed?
Old 07-30-2002, 11:42 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 GTA and 85 IROC
Engine: 355
Transmission: gear jammer
Axle/Gears: 4.11
Check your rockers. I've never heard of inj. going out due to water? Not saying it couldn't happen, just that I haven't heard of it. I can hear anything b/c my inj. are so loud.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:45 AM
Supreme Member

Any easy way to check the rockerts?

I'm not saying the injectors went out because of the mositer, BUT the the moister is there because the injector when out. (see its the other way around)

I've been driving like this for a few days, Should I stop.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:15 PM

Now this might not be the same problem that you are having, atleast I hope not for you. But my TPI was making a noise similar to what your describing. At idle it ran pretty good, but once you open the throttle a little it made a weird loud rapping or backfiring noise. Come to find out I wiped a couple of lobes off the cam. I can't explain if I had moisture of not on the butterflies, but that was my problem. The previous owner torqed the rockers down so far that it wiped 7 lobes off the cam and pulled the studs out of the heads. It took a while for this to happen, but it eventually did. If this is your problem, don't drive it. If you want to check, pull a valve cover off and check how the valve springs compress while someone is turning the car over. Disconnect a coil wire so it doesn't start and fling more oil around. Or another suggestion, get a hose and hold it to your ear and push the throttle open while running and use the hose to track down the noise. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:57 PM
Supreme Member

From what i can tell the noise is coming from the throtle body and from under the valve covers.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 - Demon 525
Transmission: 700R4
You could pop off the valve covers and see the rockers. If one is loose you might be able to kinda shake it around and see that it is loose. My Bro had a noise like that except probably 10 times louder since the aluminum Rocker riped in half. I'm not saying thats your problem but that was crazy. Anyway I'll just assume you have the right amount of oil pressure.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:28 PM
Supreme Member

My oil pressure is about 40-50

But, my nosie is comming from the center inside the air cleaner right at the throtle body (V8 TBI 305 engine). Could it still be a rocker. I dont want to rip off a valve cover if I dont have to.

Last edited by jawzforlife1; 07-30-2002 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:08 PM

Now I really don't mean to sound insulting and I'm not calling you stupid, but are you sure that it's not just the injectors firing (TBI's are kinda loud) and that the moisture you see isn't just gas?

An easy way to see if an injector has died is to look at it. heh. Rev the engine up some while looking at the injectors, and if you see anything coming out of them, they're fine. Usually if an injector goes out on a TBI unit, the car runs very, very horribly.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:40 PM
Supreme Member

I have realized the "moister" is gas (i never really looked at it befor) so I never knew. The car still runs the same, just has anouing nozie. I will look to see if gas is comming out of both injectors tomorrow.

I'm going to have my grandpa help me with this tomorrow (he know alot about cars). Just to be clear when I'm explaing this to him (this my make me sound stupid but i just want to make sure I know what I'm talking about when I explaine it to him)....

1. Those are fule injectors right. He says they are not so I quess I'll have to get the repair book out and prove it to him.

2. He kepts trying to tell me that my TB is called a vortec. Is he at all correct, or do I have to prove that to him to.

He knows alot about cars, but sometimes he needs to be shown something new, please dont rip on him.