Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What to do before startup after cam and head swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 350ci SBC
Transmission: 700R4
What to do before startup after cam and head swap?

Do I need to prelube the engine? Do I have to run it at a certain rpm for awhile to break in the cam....the cam is a full hydro roller.......???? What should I do to prevent engine damage during startup?
Old 07-12-2002, 10:13 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Car: 240sx
Engine: whatever works
Transmission: 4l80e this year
Axle/Gears: 3.512
eh

hope you put moly lube on the cam and lifters, hope you put assembly lube or engine oil on the cam journals.
Then pre-oil the system using a strong drill until all rocker arms get oil from the top of the pushrods, then adjust your valve lash for each valve, just as if the engine was running. your valve train should now be set.
when you crank the engine, you need to break the cam in by running it at 3K RPMS for 5-15 minutes, go to Compcams.com and read about breaking in the cam I dont know the exact time or RPM they recommend....
thats about it. The pre-oil / valve lash adjustment is VERY VERY important, without the oil the valve lash will be wrong, and without pre-lashing before initial startup... the whole valvetrain will sort of smack around the cam... not good. Wana see my wiped out camshafts for proof?
good luck. people feel free to add stuff I may have forgotten.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:11 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
I smoked a new cam by not soaking the lifters which everyone told me to do. I set the lash, had hellava time cause the lifters had no oil in them-brain fart. Blew the motor next morning, not because of the cam though, but lobes were missing their peaks, so when I build my 355 I let the lifters soak in oil for 1/2 day (gravity bled) lubed the **** outta everything-definately prelube before start up, your not in a contest to see how fast the drill will turn the pump, just slow steady progression till oil comes out of the rockers. When breaking in the motor your actually just breaking the cam in, the rings on the pistons will not seat in 20 mins. Once you got it started DO NOT let it go under 1500rpm as that does not let enough oil slosh onto the cam and lifters to provide proper lubrication. As for 3000rpm that might be a little high as the motor is going to run hot anyway cause it's new and sustaining 3 grand for 20 mins will definately not help the issue sitting in one spot with no real air flow. We just just set the idle screw on the carb and leave it at 2000rpm for 20 minutes. Then usually check the oil and make sure it's still full and drive maybe 100 or so miles on it, vary engine speed no need to go past 60-your still breaking it in. Change the oil and filter and drive like granny did for the next 1000miles and everything should well be on it's way. I know alot of racers that start the motor, take it to the street and go or blow, unfortunatly I did'nt want to take a chance with $3000 and the headache it was to install the motor. BTW most cam manufacturers recommend break in with a straight weight oil.