Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Ignition proble, car doesn't get power! HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition problem, car doesn't get power! HELP PLEASE!

Ok one day I started up my car (my 91 vette) and the car almsot stalled on me. Then when I actually backed outta the driveway my interior lights were flickering and my car was stalling. Eventually my car died. I thought it was the alarm so I had to removed, it worked fine for about a day, and then back to the same old thing. I got my battery and alternator checked, they were fine. Im wondering what could be the problem if its not those two? When I popped my hood, the hood lights did not come on, the car doesn't get any power. Only sometimes after having the key in the ignition will it get power and start up but not go very far at all. Whats the deal with the car not getting enough power? Is there some sort of short circuit somewhere? I don't want to take it to a shop to get fixed because I don't have that much money, if i find out the problem im sure I can get if fixed with a little help , but finding the problem is the hard part! Can someone please help me, thanks!

Last edited by Tuned Port; 07-10-2002 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:32 PM

When you had the battery tested, did they load test it? I had a similar problem. everything tested ok, but I insisted they load test it and what do you know. The guy at the counter insisted it was good, and thought he was humoring me by checking it. So try that. If not, it sounds like a short caused by a loose/frayed wire. Those can be a bitch to track down. Did you ever try to jump start it when it was dead? Mine would start right away after it was giving me nothing.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:44 PM

My brother checked the battery and alternator. He had me keep the car on and hooked up the battery tester (I guess) and then bring my RPMs up to 1500 and then turn my lights on and then checked it with the car completely off. So Im not sure if that is being load tested or not? But I don't knwo where to even start to look for a loose or frayed wire? Thanks for the repley! I hope I figure this one out soon, if anyone has any other info or advice please help! Thanks!
Old 07-09-2002, 10:15 PM

Last edited by 82RECAROTA; 08-18-2002 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-10-2002, 10:11 AM

I don't know anything about ignition, but I checked my battery connections and alternator connects, they seemed ok, im not sure what they would look like if there was a problem, I didn't see any loose or frayed ends. The alternator protection connectors seemed a little messed up. I don't know where the ground is or goes? Like i said before, Im clueless when it comes to igniton!