Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

How do I pass emissions!?!? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I pass emissions!?!? Please help!

I have an 1985 Camaro with a 350 with headers and aftermarket exhaust. I have no smog equipment and no cat. I have to take her in for inspection. Is there anyway I can pass emissions? Any ideas on how to? Dry Gas? SOmething temporary, something where I don't have to pay a lot of money. Thanks All feedback is needed!
Old 05-25-2002, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmmm...
First you have to know what it means to "pass emisions" in
Mass...
I'm in New Mexico so... not much help...
1. If your state has a visual inspection, you're done
you don't pass. Not having a cat is the "for sure" disqualifier.
About 60-100 bucks depending on what you buy.

2. If your state has a stationary check that is a sniffer that
is not run on a dyno you might get away with "adding a cat"
Provided your engine isn't too far "radical" and you are reasonably well versed in tuning.

3. Most states have a "poor peoples" clause that says something
like "take test, fail, show 200.00 in receipts apropos to meeting
compliance, get sticker anyway"

4. If yours is a "strict" dyno state, your engine is radical, No
"cheap" solution exists
Old 05-25-2002, 11:47 PM

Car: 1989 camaro RS
Engine: RAMJET 350
Transmission: RAPTOR 700-R4
i live in mass. i know what ur goin through i failed 4 times before someone came through for me and passed me . if you know what i mean. i'd try to lean the carb out to a safe point dont lean it to much or your sure to fry something. an air/fuel ratio guage comes in handy for that. how far are you from fall river? hope you are as lucky as i was in finding someone to pass you if not your screwed. mass inspectors are ******

good luck
Brian
Old 05-26-2002, 12:49 AM

I live in new york and it sux here too...but if your good with a computer and have a scanner its amazing what you create....if you know what im saying.....not like i would know....D2M4E.
Old 05-26-2002, 08:14 AM

Brian,
Where did you go, I live not to far from still river. I am in Westford so that is just a little trip down 495. Where did you get it slaped on?
Old 05-26-2002, 06:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You MUST have a functioning cat to pass - impossible to pass without one. EGR will help a lot. Just make sure you're not running rich, the car is nice and warm, and you're ignition is up to the task.
Old 05-26-2002, 08:51 PM

Car: 1989 camaro RS
Engine: RAMJET 350
Transmission: RAPTOR 700-R4
im not in still river im in fall river. i checked where you live and my city is exactly the opposite side of mass. in the southern direction from you. so it be a haul for you and you dont get the sticker the same day. the guy takes your info. and gets the stickers done somewhere else
Old 05-26-2002, 10:19 PM

83' and prior model year cars are smog exempt in mass.

safety check is annual. smog check is every other year, though sometimes there are suprises.

generally if your vehicle's model year is an even year (84,86,88,90,92,etc) then it will have to be smogged if it is an even calendar year (2002,2004,2006,etc). same goes for odd model year cars, an 85' wouldn't have to be smog checked in 2002, but would have to be checked in 2003.

dmv computer also checks to make sure you have a valid mass auto insurance policy and that you don't have any unpaid traffic tickets before allow inspection to take place.

good luck.
Old 05-26-2002, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by Marc 85Z28
You MUST have a functioning cat to pass - impossible to pass without one. EGR will help a lot. Just make sure you're not running rich, the car is nice and warm, and you're ignition is up to the task.
in ma, cars are tested on the rolling smog dyno. with old standing idle test, could often get by without a cat, but not anymore. is some more info on the state's official site at http://vehicletest.state.ma.us

are low income waivers avaliable, but catch is that no emissions related components can be tampered with. have seen a few older cars junked because they didn't pass smog and the owners didn't want to spend the money to fix them.
Old 05-26-2002, 10:55 PM

Mass doesnt have any private inspection places?? i know here in jersey they do so if ya could find a lineant service shop do it if ya know what i mean?
Old 05-26-2002, 11:51 PM

smog check stations in mass are not state owned. most any auto service shop that is willing to pay the lease fees for the equipment can do smog checks.

smog check is not a big money maker for most shops, some shops loose money on it. most of the $29 fee goes to the state and keating technologies (company that designed smog check machinery). but being able to issue inspection stickers is sort of a necessity for some shops such as new car dealers. shop gets to keep only around $8 per inspection. that barely pays for a tech to run the smog machines nevermind providing a heated building to store the equipment in.

shops and employees can get in big trouble for accepting bribes. state does do undercover "stings" from time to time to deter such practices. cars used for the stings are often older sports cars (i.e. old mustang or camaro) with emissions equipment removed (i.e. missing cat converter).