Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car pulls bad under breaking!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car pulls bad under breaking!!!

I know other people have posted stuff like this before, but I guess maybe I'm just lookin for a different answer, and I think my problem may be a little different. When people speak of their car pulling in the front under hard breaking, do they mean that the steering wheel literally jerks to the left or right a few inches and the car almost swirves off the road?....Cause mine does....And now I've replaced just about everything, new rotors, new calipers, new break pads, had the front end by the steering box welded for extra suport, a wonder bar, a new rag joint, and a quick ratio steering box......and yes I blead the brakes several times very well.....Ok heres the thing, it did this before and also had alot of slop in the steering and thats when I found out my frame had rotted near the steering box. So I got that welded up, and that helped alot, but there was still quite a bit of play, so I got the quick ratio "Z" box off ebay pretty cheap, and that seemed to help quite a bit, but still some slop. So then I found out about the rag joint, after replacing that, it completey fixed the problem, and the car had tighter steering then ever. Then guess what happened.....I let my brother drive my car one day, and he ran over a damn dead deer in the road.....Well now the steering has slop again, and it pulls real bad.....checked the rag joint and tightened it up, cause it came loose some, helped a little, but still pulls real bad when breaking...jerks the wheel hard to the right......Anyone know what this is....could my box have a bad spot in it?..I did get it used, but worked fine before....could hitting that deer messed up the box, or loosened up some other front end part...can I adjut that nut on the box, and maybe get rid of some slop?...is the frame maybe still flexing some?....or is it something in the brake lines or what?....Please help...I don't wanna continue fixing things, and blowing money and not finding the problem really.....I need to know the most likely cause, if thats possible.....I can give any additional info needed....thanks
Old 05-15-2002, 12:58 AM

have you checked the steering linkage at all? tie rods, centerlink, pitman arm, idler arm?

that would of been the first place i looked.
Old 05-15-2002, 01:01 AM

Well I had them checked a few years ago, and they told me that pretty much everything had average wear, no real problems....But thats what I'm asking kinda I guess....without going to an alignment shop and forkin over a bunch more dough, can anyone tell me what would be the most like candidate for causing this problem?.....It feels to me like its in the steering box, because of the way the steering wheel jumps to the right as soon as you apply much pressure at all on the brakes....but what do I know.....lol
Old 05-15-2002, 01:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: TH350
Yeah I think running over a Deer can lead to some suspension/steering problems. Have you checked the alignment, all of the other parts listed before. Maybe he warped a rotor or something, I dunno. Check it out.
Old 05-15-2002, 05:55 AM

if its pulling all the time, then he probably knocked the alignment out. it doesn't take much to knock these babies out (hitting a deer would do it). if it only pulls when braking then it may be a bad brake hose (then ones going from the frame to the caliper), sometimes they come apart inside and won't let the pressure back out of the caliper after hitting the brakes.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:04 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89rs (previous 2.8)
Engine: 406
Transmission: 700r4 (for now)
Sounds like wheel bearings to me....jack the car up and see if you have any play...
Old 05-15-2002, 12:12 PM

Well I took it out today and really got on it after puttin new brake pads on and bleeding the brakes real good. All 4 tires seem to be locking up under hard braking and working good. but even under just normal braking when I'm going like over 20 or so it pulls the wheel so bad it almost throws you off the road and then comes back. It's bad. Well I did it over and over again trying to determine what it felt like it was doing, and it "seems to me" that the drivers side of the car is going down and inward(to the right), so like the tire is turning to the right on the drivers side, which is making it pull off to the right like that. Would that be an outer tie rod? Isn't that what keeps the tire straight, and couldn't that cause this?....Thanks
Old 05-15-2002, 02:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Miniram'd 383, 24X LS1 PCM
Transmission: TH700R4, 4200 stall
Axle/Gears: 9", 4.33:1
Replace your brake hoses, preferrably with braided steel ones so you don't have to do them ever again.
Old 05-15-2002, 03:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
When a brake hose gets old, it starts to deteriorate internally. They look fine from the outside (actually they'll get tons of little cracks in them), but on the inside, they get clogged. You said your wheel yanks to the right when you slam on the brakes. If you let up on the brakes quickly (after slamming on 'em), does the car jerk back to the left?

If so, the left brake hose is clogged. It's getting delayed pressure when you hit the pedal (so the car yanks to the right). When you let up on the pedal, the hose keeps the pressure, so the car yanks to the left (caliper's still braking).

I bet when your brother tried to avoid the deer, he slammed on the brakes, and the brake hose clogged because of the high pressure in the lines. I bet if he didn't hit the deer at all, you would've had this problem in a month or two. Replace both hoses, because the right side is probably getting clogged, too.

In fact we should all replace our brake hoses, if we haven't done so already!!
Old 05-15-2002, 03:49 PM

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 400
Axle/Gears: 3.70
I also agree 100% with new brake hoses. My car did the same thing as yours. Take the 1/2 hour to change them, and I think you'll be happy.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:25 PM

Car: 67 ss 89 rs
Engine: 327 350tbi
Transmission: 5speed
You should think about rebuilding the front suspension to get rid of the play in the steering. This means new tie rods and bushings, etc.
Old 05-16-2002, 01:48 AM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: Borg Warner 5 Speed
I think its the hoses too. Do it yourself cause people will rip you off if you take it somewhere. I had the same problem, cost me $134.00 for a 15 minute job!
Old 05-16-2002, 02:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 82 Z-28
Engine: 383 TPI
I'm going with the left front brake hose being partially clogged.
Had same problem with mine.
When you bleed the left front, do you get a strong rush of fluid, or just a trickle?

Should replace them all anyway. They're getting old ya know.
Old 05-16-2002, 03:07 AM

Yes it does swirve to the right, and then back to the left. Actually now that you mention it, when I bled my brakes the other day, I did notice that the left side didn't squirt the fluid out near as hard as the right side. The right side will squirt the fluid clear in front of the damn car....but the left just basically flows straight down, not very much force it doesn't seem. Guess that should have been a hint...lol....I just didn't have any idea that just a clogged brake hose could make the wheel jerk so bad and the car swirve off the road....learn something new everyday from you guys, thanks alot. So everybody does have their money on the left brake line then?
Old 05-16-2002, 11:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: LB9 5.0 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Just to further echo the previous posts, I had the same problem too and the brake hose replacement cleared it right up.
Old 05-16-2002, 01:01 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89rs (previous 2.8)
Engine: 406
Transmission: 700r4 (for now)
think I'll go change my hoses..
Old 05-16-2002, 11:40 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Miniram'd 383, 24X LS1 PCM
Transmission: TH700R4, 4200 stall
Axle/Gears: 9", 4.33:1
Originally posted by TomP
In fact we should all replace our brake hoses, if we haven't done so already!!
Nahhh... mine only have about 4k on them and they are Russel stainless braided ones . Did I mention my pedal is REALLY nice and tight?