Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Need to find who makes "hardened head bolt washers"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002 | 07:11 PM

Car: '89 RS
Need to find who makes "hardened head bolt washers"?

Hi guys. my AFR heads arrived this week, and immediately an issue popped up. The heads came with guide plates. The information packet that came with them said "If you intend to use late model self aligning rocker arms, replace the AFR guide plates with a hardened head bolt washer". Guess what? I have self aligning rocker arms. I called AFR, but they don't sell the washers. So, does anyone know were to find hardened head bolt washers? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 05-14-2002 | 08:01 PM

Just about anyone that sells head bolts. The parts store I worked at stocked them, in different sizes even. ARP, Milodon, Mr Gasket, Dorman, and a whole host of others make them. Or Vader's favorite, an industrial supplier.

I think the thing you'll be most concerned with is thickness. You want them about the same thickness as the guide plate.
Old 05-15-2002 | 08:35 AM
20 Year Member

You can get hardened and ground washers almost anywhere. These can be purchased in various thicknesses depending on your requirements.

Since Max already listed my favorite (faster, better selection, and cheaper) source, take it from there. McMaster, MSC Supply, Grainger, etc. all have them by the box or individuaally. You local suppliers should have them on the shelf, too.
Old 05-15-2002 | 10:19 AM

You know, now that I think about this...

What do you need hardened washers for? The bolts screw into aluminum, I cant see the need for a hardened washer. Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems weird they suggest hardened washers, the heads arent that strong. Anyone?
Old 05-16-2002 | 09:27 AM
20 Year Member

Hardened and ground washers have a consistent thickness, thereby controlling the installation height of the rocker studs. In addition, they provide a perfectly flat surface instead of the possibly random surface of a stamped steel washer. It probably has a lot less to do with load and bearing strength than position and alignment. A stamped washer could skew the studs so that they aren't in alignment, since the mounting may not be perfectly flat and square.