Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What's included in the 'Aero Package'?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002 | 08:33 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: New 700r4 Done by 11/14/07!
What's included in the 'Aero Package'?

I need to buy a new air deflector for my '84 Trans Am, and am a little confused about just what part to get. I know what the air dam is and where it goes, but there's a listing for two parts on the website I am looking to buy from. There's the air dam with Aero Package ($23), then the air dam without the Aero Package($29). Which one am I supposed to have? WTF is the 'aero package?' Does any of you know where to get them any cheaper than this? Here's my car:
Attached Thumbnails What's included in the 'Aero Package'?-mycar.jpg  
Old 05-09-2002 | 10:19 AM
20 Year Member

The aero package consisted of the "choo-choo" front air dam/fascia, ground effects on teh fenders, doors, quarter panels, and the rear spoiler. From your photo, it looks like you have the package.

If you want a really effective lower air deflector, try rigging something like this:

Nice sig. Speaking of stickers, I just had a ton (well, actually 2¼ tons) of fun with a sticker-laden Acura Integra yesterday. This was one of the most riced-out pieces of Jap-Crap I've seen since last summer. Clear plastic lenses, big rear wing, 18" (or bigger) "blades" with about 10-series tires, huge fart pipe, and PLENTY of stickers professing just how wicked the car was. I staged up next to them at a light, tried out the Posi (still works), generated copious amounts of smoke to fill his cabin, and even though he tried really hard, he couldn't pedal the little 3-liter "wheezing" turbo POS hard enough to keep up even as I lost it due to wheelspin. What an embarrassment to have to drive such a thing. It reminds me of the 6-year old girl with the cute little streamers on the handgrips of the Schwinn. Maybe he didn't have quite enough stickers. A few more really big ones in the windshield and he wouldn't have been able to see how badly he was toasted by a 4500 pound car with four doors. All that sheet vinyl mnust help his traction a little.
Old 05-09-2002 | 06:59 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: New 700r4 Done by 11/14/07!
Where did you find that?

That looks sweet for an air deflector! Where did you see that? Yours or what? That can't be a stock replacement part! What did you do, go to the junkyard and cut up a bumper or something? I'm really interested!!!
Old 05-09-2002 | 08:11 PM
20 Year Member

It's Goodyear Path-Grip matting. Closed cell urethane/EPDM compound, sunlight and weather resistant. I found a roll of it at my local industrial rubber & plastic supplier. It's 'V' ribbed on the back side for rigidity (or traction, or something like that). I cut it to fit and used plastic push "rivets" like are used to hold inner fenders and bumper covers in place. I attached it to the existing air deflector and trim. I used the same material to make functional side air skirts.