Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Putting my car in storage for 3 months... questions within?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1994 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7L LT1
Transmission: 6-speed
Putting my car in storage for 3 months... questions within?

Ok my car wil be going into storage for about 3 months next week. I wanted to know how I should prep it for sitting around for such a long period of time. Nobody will have access to the car so it can't be started up or anything for 3 months straight. I was thinking i'd do the following things:
  • Disconnect the battery to prevent discharge
  • Throw a bottle of fuel stabilzer in the fuel tank
  • Add oil stabilizer to the motor (I'll change the oil anyway after I take it out of storage but I want to make sure the old oil doesn't hurt the motor when I drive it out of there)

Do I need to set it up on blocks too? It's not going anywhere for 3 months straight - I don't want to damage my tires if it's possible.
Old 05-03-2002, 03:21 PM

definatly remove the battery, bring it home with you and put it on a trickle charger if possible. also add the fuel stabilizer, it wont help a whole lot for just 3 months, but better safe.

Also it is a good idea to put the car up on JACKS. dont do something silly and set it up to sit on an unstable plateform for three months.

Put a box of baking soda inside the car to get rid of moisture, and roll the windows down just a little bit. Put some tape over the exhast tips of the car, so little animals dont crawl up there and make a nest in your muffler.

and i guess the only other thing would be to change the oil and put maybe 10 or so miles on it before you store it, i'd use straight 30 weight or maybe 50. also change the oil back to whatever kind you generally use before you decide to drive it again.
Old 05-03-2002, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by RJR99SS

.... Put some tape over the exhast tips of the car, so little animals dont crawl up there and make a nest in your muffler.

That's so true, when my friend pulled his Challenger out of storage, his muffler had mice in it.
Old 05-03-2002, 04:42 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 86IROCZ

That's so true, when my friend pulled his Challenger out of storage, his muffler had mice in it.
Hmmm. If that is the case when I get my car running again, it's going to be roast mice for dinner. Note to all: That was sarcasm.