Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine Hydraulicaly Locked??!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002 | 12:32 PM

Engine Hydraulicaly Locked??!!!

Allright one of my friends in my automotive class has a 1989 formula 305 tpi 5-speed and the car is basically stock. when it was running his oil pressure would be "good" when he started it up cold and after it had warmed up it would sink down and kind of bounce up and down. he was driving one day last week and he stopped at a stop light and it cut off and wouldn't recrank for a few minutes then it turned on and he drove it to our shop. we cleaned the battery terminals, checked fuel pressure, spark, checked the fuel injectors, and it had sat for about a day and it wouldn't crank. we found out he had about 3 quarts too much oil in it. We tried on friday to turn the engine over after we took all the plugs out and we couldn't do it. today we tried turning it over again with no plugs and it would turn over (it will now also crank) but it took an excessive amount of force. when we cranked it over after we installed a new starter it smelled of gasoline and it was overflowing and dripping onto the floor. My main question is, What kind of damage if any would have been done to the engine? I think he needs a new one because of the oil pressure problem. but I was interested in having other peoples opinions.
Old 04-22-2002 | 02:30 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
I'd think he might've ruined the rings, and the car would smoke like crazy; but I don't think it'd be hard to turn.
Old 04-22-2002 | 03:28 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IrocZ
Engine: L98-ish
Transmission: 700R4
Couple of things come to mind "3qt's too much oil" and "it smelled of gasoline and it was overflowing and dripping onto the floor", leads me to think the injectors are dumping in fuel, or maybe the Fuel Pressure regulator has ruptured..., causing raw fuel to go into the cylinders, past the rings, into the crankcase.

Not sure of any damage, could be from lack of lubrication of fuel/oil mix.

Just my guess.