Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 04:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: Al LT1 headed LG4 305
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi with spacer
What?

Have any of you guys seen one of these before? Are they any good? What rpm range are the good for. The auction desc. says designed by Smokey Yunick.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1820837887
Attached Thumbnails What?-smokey-yunick-intake.jpg  
Old 04-18-2002, 04:42 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock
Here is a quote from a post made by "SY1" at team camaro on camaro.net (http://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum4/HTML/003513.html)

The single carb crossram Edelbrock made SY1 is a different design from their dual quad crossrams, STR10 or XC8. The XC8 had side by side carbs and I believe was one piece, the STR10 is basicaly a copy of the GM crossram. It is much shorter in height from the SY1 and has angled runners. The SY1 was the single carb as you know and had perfectly stright runners, like a tunnel ram pushed down, but with more plenum area than most tunnel rams. The lids will not interchange on the SY1 or STR10.
I bought a billet of aluminum out at Boeing Aircraft Surplus last trip to Witchita and was going to mill my own dual carb lid for the SY1. It still sits in my shop. I kind of like the single carb setup, but it is quite tall. I've got some pictures of both intakes if you want to see them. There is a STR10 for sale right now on ebay if you want to see the differences.

I don't know if you're aware but to use the SY1 will require removing a little material from the valve covers gasket rail area due to the angle the intake sits on the engine. I removed just a little from a set of Moroso covers. I wanted to run the Moroso fabricated covers, but they will not fit with this intake. Also you need a carb spacer because the Holley linkage will hit the lid unless you modify it. If you use a vacum secondary carb the vacum actuator also hits, because they didn't locate the notch in the lid quite where it should be. I wouldn't run a vacum carb though. With the large cam I run the engine only pulls 7.5 inches of vacum at idle with 12:1 slugs. For what it's worth Vic Edelbrock uses the STR10 on his vintage 68 Camaro that Smokey Yunick originally built for SCCA racing.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:44 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 82 Z28
Engine: Al LT1 headed LG4 305
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi with spacer
So is any good, or just a high rpm intake?

Thanks, i'm just curious about that design, after all i am a Mechanical Engineer
Old 04-18-2002, 08:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Edelbrock Cross Ram is really an improved version of the original GM Cross Ram. The Offenhauser one is basically a spin off of the original with the same features only different runners.

The Cross Ram is a great power maker. Plus the massive plenum volume gives you massive top end even compared to a good single plane intake.