TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Fuel Pressure Guage

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 93 Caprice 9C1
Engine: L05
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Fuel Pressure Guage

I started shopping for fuel pressure guages at Summit.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=9877

Tell me what you guys think - seems HQ enough to me, hopefully won't be plagued with problems like some people seem to be having with the $20 Summit guage.

I also contacted a Mercury Marine parts dealer regarding the inline fitting with the shrader valve for testing fuel pressure.

http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/P...asp?sku=806901

As posted here in another thread:
Want the same ease of checking your fuel pressure that the TPI guys have? Mercury Marine sells a fitting that screws into the back of your TBI and then the fuel line screws right into the adapter. It has a Schrader valve in it so you can plug that fuel pressure tester right in and check where you are at. You can get it online at www.mercurymarine.com under parts express/parts for mercury marine engines. The part # for it is 91-806901 and it costs about $25. Let me know if you purchase this and what you think of it.
I left a message on the parts guy's answering machine and he will probably get back to me tomorrow. Hopefully he can guide me through a non-conventional fitting of a marine part. I would be willing to purchase this part and be the guinea pig if he seems to think it would work with my TBI. Then all I'd have to do is buy hose to connect the shrader valve to the guage (assuming the hard lines have some "give" and can move out of the way enough to get the adapter in there).
Old 04-08-2002, 10:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.8
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Dana 60
SWeet Man, thanks a lot. I was looking for something like this.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:10 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350tpi comming soon!
Transmission: fixed the 700r4 again!
not sure if this is something you re looking for or not but a friend sent me this

GM TBI Fuel Pressure Tester Kit - CP7817

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For use on GM Throttle Body Injection (TBI) vehicles not equipped with a fuel access valve test port on the fuel rail.

Safely Tests:
Fuel pump check valve
Fuel rail pop-off pressure
Fuel rail deterioration
Leaking injectors
Features:
Large easy to read 0-60 psi scale
36" flexible connection hose
Adapter fitting for GM TBI systems
Solid brass fittings
Pressure relief valve for safe, clean testing

Last edited by bbtaz97; 11-29-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-09-2002, 02:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
We don't have a shrader valve. Only systems with fuel rales had em. The only 2 places you can tap in for the fuel pressure is at the back of the TB or at the flex line on the frame rail.
I'm just going to go down to Jegs this weekend and grab their t-fitting and a 0-30psi guage. I'm going to mount the guage on the hard line that runs parallel with the valve cover. I'll cut the supply line, use that tool that makes an expanding flare (pipe flare?) and use like 2"s of rubber line. Considering the low fuel pressure I doubt there will be any problems. I've seen it done before and I don't see how it could be a problem. Heck, it's a lot cheaper than getting those darn metric fittings for the flex line! If anybody has a source for an inline guage at the flex line and it's cheap, please post the source.
Old 04-09-2002, 06:29 AM

Car: 93 Caprice 9C1
Engine: L05
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I think you're misunderstanding the way in which both of these solutions go about measuring fuel pressure. In my post, I suggested purchasing a Mercury Marine part for the throttle body. This IS an adapter that goes between the inlet fuel hard line and the TBI. It's a T fitting with a shrader valve...then you could use any standard guage and even remove it when you wanted to.
The GM tool is the same way, except I don't think it's a shrader valve. Same deal, just a different valve.