TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Custom Chip Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Chip Questions

If i were to heavily modify my car, say, put a 350 TBI motor with all the mods, nothing extreme but the car would be around 300+ horses, where do i go for the custom chip. I dont want to learn, yet, how to burn my own chips, too much of a headache, but i was wondering how accurate a custom chip place would be. I mean could they burn me a chip that would get most of the perfomance potential out of my car or is it likely that they'll be way the hell off and id be in for a several month adventure getting it right?
Old 04-08-2002, 10:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1999 Yamaha Banshee
Engine: 379cc twin cyl 2-stroke stroker
Transmission: 6 spd manual
Axle/Gears: 14/41 tooth
Re: Custom Chip Questions

Originally posted by Berlinetta
I dont want to learn, yet
probably why jprevost hasnt replied. http://www.fastchip.com dont have one but they are supposed to be close not perfect
Old 04-09-2002, 02:15 AM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
If you've got an 8746 ecm then I would shot around for an ANLU eprom for a 350 TBI. It got me a 13.8 at 102 with my engine so it seems to be working pretty good. Long story short I've been tuning around an exhaust leak but now that the leak is fixed (yes it was before the o2 sensor) I don't have my programmer. Broke it the other day by hooking up the polarity backwards.
It can take only 1 day to get an eprom for an engine to work great, it isn't hard to learn. The ANLU eprom is probably 90% effective, but for me that last 10% is what it's all about. It's what makes the slower cars slow and the faster cars fast.
Old 04-09-2002, 09:17 PM

Are you saying get a stock ANLU eprom and just plug it in? Would it be able to handle the wacky cam and intake?
Old 04-10-2002, 12:18 AM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Originally posted by Berlinetta
Are you saying get a stock ANLU eprom and just plug it in? Would it be able to handle the wacky cam and intake?
No! What I'm saying is that the ANLU is a much better eprom than the other 305 TBI eproms. It's still not made for a radical cam or intake. This is where eprom tuning gets so important. Things like pumpshot, timing, all controlled by the eprom.
I just used Diacom on a friend car, all he had done was gears/posi, TBI performer intake, all ultimate TBI mods including AFPR, and full exhaust work. The car was instantly going from a BLM of 128/126 to ~134 whenever he accelorated from a slow speed! It's even worse (hesitation) when the blades get opened faster...this is all because the pumpshot was designed for a stock snorkel and the only way around the fix is to run rich (fuel pressure or larger injectors) and have your BLMs around 120 or even less. The problem with this is your mpg will go too all hell during city driving.
Remember that TBI is just like any other speed density EFI system...add more air but the computer has no way to measure and you'll run lean with stock calibrations!
The ANLU is just a better starting point for any mild 350! It isn't the best and the only way to get the best is to give your car to a tuner and have him work with the car hands on.
Tim (NJSpeeder) is going to be e-mailing me logged winaldl data..especially the BLM tables. From that I can give him a very close eprom but he and I both know that the REAL DEAL is when I'm there and we're playing with WOT air fuel ratios, looking at spark plugs, and doing runs with his friends g-tech.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:28 PM

where can i even begin to learn about this stuff? And what kind of equipment would i need?

BTW, wouldn't the o2 sensor detect a lean/rich condition and correct it by dumping in more or less gas. I realize the computer has its limits in correcting these conditions.

Last edited by Berlinetta; 04-10-2002 at 08:44 PM.