TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Load Hissy coming from TBI???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Load Hissy coming from TBI???

I poped the hood last night and i intially thought it was the alternator bearings going bad but it seemd to be coming from tunder my open air element. I was in a hurry so i did not take off the air filter to take a look. Just hope some one can help me before i look at it tomorrow. Thanks
Old 03-13-2002, 11:49 PM
Supreme Member

Car: RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42
not to make you sound like a moron, but how long have you had the open element? some days mine hisses loud for a little while
Old 03-13-2002, 11:53 PM

that hissing from your open element is the manifold vac sucking air pass the IAC (or a leak somewhere) That hissing noise is normal.

If you think your IAC might be lost (or need adjustment)you can fix it by jumping A&B terminals for a min with the key in the accessory position, turn the car off, then remove the jump, start the car and hold 2000Rpm immediately for 10 sec then cut the car off for 10 sec, then recrank.
Old 03-14-2002, 12:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Open elements allow you to hear all sorts of neat sounds that the stock snorkel absorbed

BTW you think that hisses, my exhaust manifold leaks (not gonna bother fixing it, getting headers soon anyway) and when the AIR systems fires up and is pumping the air straight to the manifolds it hisses like a pissed off rattle snake. Once it warms up it goes away since the air goes straight to the cat.
Old 03-14-2002, 08:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when its cold out my 14x3 k&n open element hisses LOUD i took the back stripping off the hood and it doesnt have insulation under the hood anymore so that makes it louder...it was REALLY loud under the hood all the time because i had no smog pump crap hooked up but i still have the air tubes just sticking up so i took them out yesterday and pluged them...still gotta get the tube from the cat out of there its still blowing exhuast into the engine compartment...and the tube that connected the air pump to the other side...i gotta figure out why it doesnt want to come to...engine bay is starting to look pretty good...soon as i paint my headers and get the money they will replace the rusted manifolds and i just replaced the rusted out water pump
Old 03-14-2002, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the confermation on everything guys!!! And about the moron part. I am way past starting $#!* on this web page. It always seems like there is some a$$hole out there that just can't keep his mouth shut. And you know what, some day you may meet a person like me, in PERSON, and say something you wil regret!
Old 03-14-2002, 09:48 PM
Supreme Member

Car: RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42
what the heck are you talking about, I said "not to make you sound like a moron" because I didn't want you to take offense (yes I could have said it different, but I didn't thing you'd take it out of context like that) to me saying it is probably just your open element (a simple thing), sometimes I'll suggest something and people get mad cause they already know it isn't that (they know more than me)

Btw the whole "And about the moron part. I am way past starting $#!* on this web page. It always seems like there is some a$$hole out there that just can't keep his mouth shut. And you know what, some day you may meet a person like me, in PERSON, and say something you wil regret!"
by saying that you are starting crap, you read into stuff too much, settle down, and I'm not exactly scared of meeting someone like you in person, I'm not exactly a small guy.

no the less a big misunderstanding, sorry for the confusion
Old 03-15-2002, 09:24 PM

My 14"x6" Edelbrock open element whistles like a bitch - especially since I put the tbi spacer on (no, it's not a vacuum leak). A little air cleaner noise is OK, but this was driving me crazy. To quiet it down a little, I sprayed the inside air cleaner surfaces with rubber insulation. That worked a little, so I went to HiLo and found a smaller air filter to fit INSIDE my 14"x6" filter. That quieted it down to a bearable - for me - level. Really defeated the purpose of an open element though.
SC
Old 03-16-2002, 04:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Definatly the IAC.
About that using a smaller filter inside a larger filter...you are most likely not loosing any power. The benifit of a larger air filter isn't really how much air it can flow, it's more like how long before it needs to be replaced. Smaller air fitlers will get dirty quick, just like oil filters. All the filters now are designed to flow a LOT of air, they've got more surface area and better designs.
I like the 14x3 because it fits under the hood, cheap replacement filters and doesn't need replacing as frequently as a smaller 9x3.