TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

email from Edelbrock concerning 305

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
email from Edelbrock concerning 305

To: BigOrange1Vol@aol.com ('BigOrange1Vol@aol.com')

The # 3704 TBI manifold will not work with the caprice.
And I do not recommend the Performer heads with the 2.02x1.60 valves.

Unfortunately we do not have anything else for your application, other than the IAS shocks # 3379 front and 3479 rear.

-----Original Message-----
From: BigOrange1Vol@aol.com [mailto:BigOrange1Vol@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 10:34 PM
To: edelbrock@edelbrock.com
Subject: 92 caprice lo3 305 tbi

Ok. I need performance. I'm wanting to get the edelbrock performer intake for my 92 tbi 305 (lo3). Its listed in summit for a direct factory fit. I need to know if the centerbolt edelbrock alluminum heads for 87-95 5.7 fit on my car. And since the heads you have are 60 cc, how much compression would be lost and what about a head gasket or a thinner one. And one more question, what else do u have for my car except the intake and camshaft. Thanks for the time. Plenty of money to spend just need some help.

Chevy rules,
Josh
Old 03-02-2002, 01:56 AM

why

Why won't the edelbrock performer intake for the 87-95 tbi 305-350 not work on a 92 tbi lo3.

Sorry I'm a b-body owner but this is the only list about tbi's
Old 03-02-2002, 05:36 AM
Tas
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe its not "legal" but making it work is easy.
Old 03-02-2002, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 93 GM300 platforms
Engine: LO3, LO5
Transmission: MD8 x2
Re: why

Originally posted by ChattyCaprice
Why won't the edelbrock performer intake for the 87-95 tbi 305-350 not work on a 92 tbi lo3.

Sorry I'm a b-body owner but this is the only list about tbi's
I think it might fit. Check out this link, and you might start reading the archives on the following website, because of the Caprice-specific content.

http://www.impalassforum.com/cgi-bin...c&f=9&t=000155

I also suggest writing directly to the owner of the '93 Caprice with the Edelbrock manifold, so you can find out what was easy, or hard, during the install.
Old 03-02-2002, 12:06 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS - Fully Restored w/Custom Int
Engine: LO3 with some mods
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Richmond
Re: email from Edelbrock concerning 305

To: BigOrange1Vol@aol.com ('BigOrange1Vol@aol.com')

The # 3704 TBI manifold will not work with the caprice.
And I do not recommend the Performer heads with the 2.02x1.60 valves.

Unfortunately we do not have anything else for your application, other than the IAS shocks # 3379 front and 3479 rear.

-----Original Message-----
From: BigOrange1Vol@aol.com [mailto:BigOrange1Vol@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 10:34 PM
To: edelbrock@edelbrock.com
Subject: 92 caprice lo3 305 tbi

Ok. I need performance. I'm wanting to get the edelbrock performer intake for my 92 tbi 305 (lo3). Its listed in summit for a direct factory fit. I need to know if the centerbolt edelbrock alluminum heads for 87-95 5.7 fit on my car. And since the heads you have are 60 cc, how much compression would be lost and what about a head gasket or a thinner one. And one more question, what else do u have for my car except the intake and camshaft. Thanks for the time. Plenty of money to spend just need some help.

Chevy rules,
Josh

The Edelbrock TBI manifold is a near PERFECT fit on an LO3 engine.

The 60cc heads can be used with smaller gaskets on a 305. I suggest you post a message to NJ Speeder, who is using this same setup.
Old 03-02-2002, 12:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It probably dosen't have smog approval for the specific car, thats all. I'm sure it'll fit. While well intended, most people who make smog rules = :lala:
Old 03-02-2002, 12:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS - Fully Restored w/Custom Int
Engine: LO3 with some mods
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Richmond
Originally posted by HrdRockA4305
It probably dosen't have smog approval for the specific car, thats all. I'm sure it'll fit. While well intended, most people who make smog rules = :lala:
I don't know for sure, but I think it is 50 state legal. I do know it has EGR holes
Old 03-02-2002, 01:38 PM

Actually I think the problem revolves around getting the distributor in place once the manifold is installed. Due to the position of the engine in the Caprice, kind of under the firewall if you will, it makes it impossible.

That being said, I have heard of people enlarging the dist hole and then using a dist from a L05 pickup which has a larger shaft. IIRC, this allow the dist to be tilted at a greater angle to get it in past that firewall issue.....

CD
Old 03-02-2002, 02:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Z28
Engine: LS7
Transmission: M12/T56
Axle/Gears: 3.79
I didnt get a very good response from Edelbrock when I emailed about egr on vortec heads either.
Old 03-02-2002, 06:42 PM
Supreme Member

1. Edelbrock's tech help is almost as useless as holley's(you can get better answer's from the high school students working at jeg's) the performer tbi will work and fit on EVERY car and truck that came equiped with factory tbi small blocks, and it will fit below the hood. it is one of the first things that was discussed when i used to be on the 9C1 list(caprice, cop car caprice list)
2. i think i have made it clear enough that the 60cc heads work great on a 305, once again, there tech is not helpful or accurate.
3. when a part recieves federal appoval as smog legal it only needs to be approved once for any specific model, it does not matter what vehicle it is put into.

i don't know what hte problem with these companies is as far as giving goods tech help. last time i sent email to edelbrock it was concerning a cross ram intake i had picked up. all i asked was the operating range of the intake, the email i got back was a"we don't have a listing for that product currently" i had to call them to get an answer, and that was from the engineering department. the tech line didn't even knwo the thing existed.

later
tim
Old 03-03-2002, 01:55 AM

thanks

Thanks for the help.

The reason I am on this mailing list is simply because the impala, 9c1 forums and mailing lists are people who are lt-1 to the bone and anytime I ask about something performance wise they tell me to buy a lt-1 and not mess with the 305.

It is true about my engine sitting way back like under the firewall (the best way I can describe it)
Old 03-03-2002, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 93 GM300 platforms
Engine: LO3, LO5
Transmission: MD8 x2
Re: thanks

Thanks for the help.

The reason I am on this mailing list is simply because the impala, 9c1 forums and mailing lists are people who are lt-1 to the bone and anytime I ask about something performance wise they tell me to buy a lt-1 and not mess with the 305.

It is true about my engine sitting way back like under the firewall (the best way I can describe it)
Most of the Bcar people are fixated on the LT1, but there is a 91-96 Caprice section and that does have useful LO3/LO5 content in it. I have an LT1 car but there isn't much challenge in making it fast. There is a lot more challenge in making an LO5 or LO3 car fast, or faster, because there are fewer willing to try it. Of course, a tougher challenge would be in making a 281 cid Ford Crown Vic as fast as a 305 Caprice... but that's another story.

The distributor issue that Cecil (NotDadsW41) reminded everyone of is real, but if memory serves it is solved by using the dsitributor from a truck, which will make it into the manifold without removal of the engine. That info is probably in the Bcar website archives( and perhaps here too), if you do a search. Several Brick (77-90) and Whale (91-93) Caprice owners that have added Vortec heads have used the Edelbrock Vortec-compatible manifold, with the truck distributor and it worked just fine.

HTH. - Ken

Last edited by kdrolt; 03-03-2002 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-04-2002, 08:53 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 mildly modified
Transmission: 700R4 fully modified
did ya?

i don't know what hte problem with these companies is as far as giving goods tech help. last time i sent email to edelbrock it was concerning a cross ram intake i had picked up. all i asked was the operating range of the intake, the email i got back was a"we don't have a listing for that product currently" i had to call them to get an answer, and that was from the engineering department.
Didn't buy it from them did ya timmy??

-=-Mike
Old 03-04-2002, 09:10 PM
Supreme Member

if you buy a 1989 bonneville and you wanna know something you can contact gm and they will tell you. if you buy an intake you should be able to get an answer from teh company that made it too. that is all i am trying to say.

later
tim
Old 03-09-2002, 11:31 PM

Yep!

The only true "technical support" is right HERE.

Look around and see what has been transpiring. Now, if I could put a 350 CI engine in my car with a Crane 2030, a Holley 300-49 intake manifold with a Holley 502-6 TBI unit and 1" spacer, and PASS emissions, isn't that what is important?
What I am saying is, we are on our own, and since nobody has it tried/trued it, it doesn't exist!

It seems that the people that make these products DO know what application they are for, but can't really SAY what it IS for.

Does that make any sense?

Engineering the parts that work, yes. Supporting the parts is really up to us, I think.

Untying the knots around what works with 3rd party parts is what it's about!

It's like computers. You can get a wide variety of hard drives, and most likely all of them will work with your computer, and some will perform better than others!

I guess that is a good analogy.
Old 03-10-2002, 01:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
It's true, companies don't give a rats you know what. The majority of them say they are all about quality and customer satisfaction...that's bull. A company is called a company because they make money and 90% of the time, they get your money and you're left to work out the bugs.
When (not if) I start a buisness I'll be sure to have engineers as the sales reps. Nothing bugs me more than having the stupid middle men screwing up everything like Holley and their 502-6 2" 670cfm TB that they say only works with such and such. I bet the engineers that designed the TBI system know it's limitations and applications better than anybody, for this reason I think it's essential that everybody share information regarding the use of a product that can be made to work outside of it's intended use.
This site has a lot of experts floating around but they don't have the money to spend on research. So it's up to the majority of people to experiment with a few things and amazing things happen. Some good examples of this is the wideband O2 project that happened on www.diy-efi.org and the 1LE brake projects that have talked about to death. Spohn makes products for thirdgens and he's made some AWESOME torque arms. His arms aren't like the rest of the mass production companies like BBK and Edelbrock. His actually bolts to the crossmember and not just the stock location like all those other companies. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about how lucky I am to have a thirdgen with so many options. If I had an import I'd be stuck saving $$$$$ for a turbo and spending money on wheels.
Jonas is working with the aldl data stream and other really cool projects. Tim Burgess has plans for lots of cool electronic circuits. I dont' know if he's done yet but he's got a diy-wide band o2 sensor circuit that translates the wideband lamda value into a standard o2 voltage stream for the ecm!!! He's also got a N2o circuit that controls the solinoids so they turn on and off with safe operation! The internet is amazing, all the free knowledge and instant access.