TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

When do you have to start programming a tbi?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 04:49 PM

When do you have to start programming a tbi?

I've been roaming these forums for the last 10 years (since I bought my 89 formula) and haven't done any kind of performance mods until now. If there's already a sticky on the subject I'd appreciate a link. This is my first time posting so apologize if this has been mulled over. I'd just like to know how far I can go until computer tuning is required. It's a stock engine with headers, full exhaust, open air element, air pump delete, and a tbi riser.
Old Yesterday | 05:39 PM
Sponsor
15 Year Member

Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: When do you have to start programming a tbi?

Have you datalogged to see how it’s running?
Old Yesterday | 06:16 PM
Supreme Member
10 Year Member

The air pump delete may want a change to the calibration.

I think the ECM adjusts the R/L threshold voltage by 100mV on the O2 sensor to account for the extra O2 being introduced by the AIR system when it's activated.

But if you're not noticing any performance issues from seat of the pants, I think those mods could probably be absorbed by the stock calibration.
The following users liked this post:
dmccain (Today)
Old Yesterday | 10:06 PM

I don't have any way of doing anything with the ecm. It's running all this on the factory tune. It seems to run fine and it's certainly drivable. So maybe I'm in the clear for this. Any idea what it would take to swap to an lt1 cam? All the threads I've seen are from 2003ish and I don't recognize any of the software they refer to.
Old Today | 06:31 AM
Supreme Member
10 Year Member

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

Until you go to changing cam or heads... You will probably be ok
Old Today | 07:08 AM
Supporter/Moderator
10 Year Member

Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56

A tune would certainly help maximize what you've currently done but more importantly give you the confidence and experience to tune when you do a cam swap. If you totally botch it now, you can resort back to the stock tune and be ok. This is much harder to do when you are learning and tuning a new combo. I agree with TPI above about starting to data log and studying those. The old swap threads you mention are indeed more mechanically focused, as the EBL system didn't exist at that time and tuning was way more laborious.
Brodini89 (Today)
Old Today | 10:46 AM

So what software would I need to try my hand at it? I would need a wide band 02 sensor too correct?
Old Today | 11:45 AM
Supreme Member
10 Year Member

Car: '92 Corvette, '89 1/2-a-'Vette
Engine: LT1, L98
Transmission: ZF6, ZF6
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.31

Originally Posted by Brodini89
This is my first time posting so apologize if this has been mulled over. I'd just like to know how far I can go until computer tuning is required. It's a stock engine with headers, full exhaust, open air element, air pump delete, and a tbi riser.
Originally Posted by dmccain
Until you go to changing cam or heads... You will probably be ok

As someone who ran a SBC 400 with cam/headers/intake/exhaust and other stuff, on the stock tune for a 305 CFI, you can go as far as you have....and a lot further. A tune is definitely not required for the mods that you've done so far. As you proceed further down the modding path, other tuning tactics may be necessary; such as fuel pressure adjustments, injector sizing (for more extreme changes) and base timing. But as long as you keep the shape of the torque curve close to stock, then it's pretty easy to add power and not NEED to do ECM tuning. That means no radical cams. Keep the cam conservative, gain power in other ways. I would consider an LT1 cam to be quite conservative.

How far you can go until computer tuning is REQUIRED, really boils down to, what can YOU tolerate? -with regard to driveability, fuel economy, power that may be missing? What is O.K. or good enough, for you? If the car runs basically fine, you've picked up good power from your hard-part changes, and so on...then nothing is required. Run the wee out of it and enjoy. It's no different than if you did the same changes on a carb'd engine; "how far can you go until you have to re-jet"? It's the same, ECM tuning or carb tuning. When symptoms start to show that annoy you. Or whatever that line is, for you. That's when it's "required".

Some day, if you feel like getting into ECM tuning, buy the stuff and try it out.

Last edited by Tom 400 CFI; Today at 11:59 AM.
Brodini89 (Today)