TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Missing bolts

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing bolts

Hey everyone, first thread here. Bought a 92 Camaro RS with auto 305/5.0 TBI. So I'm missing a few bolts for the vehicle and I'm going through hell trying to find a few bolts that are missing on the engine. If anyone can give me part numbers, so I can order them online, trying to avoid going to a pick a part/junk yard. I need the bolts that mount the throttle body to the intake manifold, as well as alternator, and a/c compressor bolts. I'm also missing the screws for the throttle position sensor, previous owner was in the process of doing a swap, but went with a different vehicle and now I'm stuck cleaning it up, just trying to bring back to stock, thanks in advance.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:44 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: Missing bolts

What's special about those bolts that you can't match something up at a well-stocked hardware store?
Old 10-20-2021, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Schurkey
What's special about those bolts that you can't match something up at a well-stocked hardware store?
I don't have the bolts to match anything too.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:12 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Platinumalloy
I don't have the bolts to match anything too.
You have the threaded holes they go into, for bolt diameter and thread pitch. You have the parts to be attached, so you can measure the thickness, add some length for thread engagement, and now you've got the needed bolt length.

If you have length, diameter, and thread pitch, and there's nothing special about the bolt head...you have everything you need to go to the hardware store.

The trick will be making sure that plain hex-head bolts or screws have tool clearance, otherwise you may need socket-head capscrews, using Allen wrenches, Torx, or some other tool.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Schurkey
You have the threaded holes they go into, for bolt diameter and thread pitch. You have the parts to be attached, so you can measure the thickness, add some length for thread engagement, and now you've got the needed bolt length.

If you have length, diameter, and thread pitch, and there's nothing special about the bolt head...you have everything you need to go to the hardware store.

The trick will be making sure that plain hex-head bolts or screws have tool clearance, otherwise you may need socket-head capscrews, using Allen wrenches, Torx, or some other tool.
Thank you for the information, I was able to find some on eBay, and if I didn't find it, I guess I would have needed to buy/rent a tool to measure thread pitch, was just looking for part numbers, not just for me, but for anyone else that may have needed the information in the past, present, or future, thanks again.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:11 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

If you're working on vehicles, you NEED a thread-pitch gauge set in both SAE and Metric. In a pinch, find a scrap bolt from your "bolt bin" that threads into the hole, and take it with you to the hardware store.

Part numbers don't do much good when the parts have been discontinued by the manufacturer. Used parts typically sell via description rather than number; or the seller lists both description and number.

And now we have instructions for finding the right bolts for any project, using the relevant information posted for anyone in the past, present, and future to see.