TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Holley Projection Question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holley Projection Question?

I picked up a complete Holley Projection 2d (670cfm 2 barrel) from a guy. The system seems pretty primitive with adjustments made by turning the little pots. Is it possible to use the Holley Throttle body with another type of ECU? Preferentially one supported by WinADL.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Yes. The only problem might be adapting the TPS. But that's just a simple weather pack connector. Another thing that was an option on the projection systems was the IAC. Without it your ecm won't have any control of the engine rpm at idle, in gear, park/neutral, and stall saver etc. It isn't a big deal and isn't a huge work around. The other problem might be the fuel lines. I suspect that the holley unit can just screw right into the stock fuel lines but I'm not positive on that. I remember seeing most projection units with barb fittings for rubber line. Try removing them and threading in the stock fittings. They should be the same but again, I'm not 100% sure.
I hope you have more than 250hp and a nice cam/intake, everything or you won't feel any difference going from the stock unit to the 2" bore. The stock TB was even used on the 350 Lo5 motors and can make an easy 300hp so don't think that it'll be any faster if you're installing this on a stock cam, stock head Lo3.
Old 01-04-2002, 08:09 AM
Banned

You bought a earlier non Di version. The Di model allows you to tune with a laptop and Holley's propietary software. You can also purchase additional software, namely "Autochart" that allows you to then do data captures. This is a great tuning aid. The nice thing about the Di system is the ability to store, modify, and upload fuel maps from the Laptop to the ECM without having to "burn" a chip.

The "D" version such as what you bought is not a bad system although it seems "primitive" it is very very very easy learn and to tune. again you can store data simply buy writing down the values you set each dial at, or create a spread sheet. This system works really good you when you add a rich/lean gauge, to aid you in tuning. I also believe Holley sells an interface that allows to view the ecm's data.

Personally I would not remove the stock functional TBI system to replace it with the 670 Holley 2D system. The stock fuel lines will not hook up, Holley has barbed fitting with 3/8" NPT threads, stock lines and TBI have metric threads. The Only way to do this right is to use Braided lines with -6AN fittings at the Holley TBI and -6AN to metric adapters where the braided lines would connect at the stock soft lines at the sub frame.

I would bolt it on a older carbed car to learn it.
Old 01-04-2002, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holley NEVER made a 2Di version of the 2bbl. They made the older ANALOG version (blah) and the 2D digital versions only. The 4bbl versions are either 4D or 4Di. Trust me, I know, and have a 2D for sale posted in this TBI forum and have been using all the Projection varieties since they came to be.

The DIGITAL systems are ok IF you are very good at wiring/conections and you have no chassis ground loops. I recommend the closed-loop kit. VERY nice addition and the system runs actually better than the best custom PROM I can make for the GM TBI system, BUT, only if/when it works perfectly. Takes some patience and wiring expertiece.

I too am in the process of using the Holley ProJection TB for a trial with an engine combo. what i did is hooked up the "kicker" solenoid to a shifter mounted push-on/push-off switch (was momentary Nitrous operation a while back, don't use NO in a Jeep) so that I can raise the idle if I need to.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:19 AM
Banned

I have Projection 4Di setup and running in my '88 Firebird... I would not switch it for anything since all the TPI morons can't/won't believe the power potential of TBI.. When I'm at the track half of them think there's a carb under the air cleaner I just go along with it yeah I had TBI but took it out, it sucks... You should see their faces when I'm in the pits after a run and they see me plug in the laptop to review my data capture, or I pop the air filer off the adjust the fuel pressure.

Old 01-04-2002, 11:21 PM

Closed Loop

It came with the closed loop kit, minus the O2 sensor, anyone have an idea of what type of sensor it uses?
Old 01-06-2002, 11:42 AM
Banned

It's a 3 -wire 02 sensor Holley service part #43-106