TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

L05 head porters

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
L05 head porters

OK, I have a couple quick questions. This is likely for someone like Fast355 who has done a few sets of heads as well as these. I have been examining the shape of the runners on the intakes, and am thinking the much maligned ramp may not be the ultimate culprit in the flow of these heads on the intake as much as is thought.

If you look at the head there are 3 very distinct spots that they appear to be "weak." The first one is the push rod pinch. Compared to a set of 416es, the area seems to be as small if not smaller then expand as it goes into the runner its self. The transition is horribly stepped and I would think very turbulent. The second is that it appears to taper heavily at the point of entrance into the bowl. The area here is tiny and the runner may have a high degree of taper. Lastly is the trade mark "ramp" in the head. I think the biggest thing about this is that it potrudes up heavily and just "knocking it back" to the guide height will make a huge difference.

Besides this something else note worthy IMO is this head has virtually no "short side" but the runner its self seems to be directed a great deal straighter into the bowl than a typical "416" 305 head or other SBC heads I have examined in the past.

To make a long ramble short I am really wondering about the transition into the bowl from the runner versus the ramp its self. I am really wondering if the gains are in this order:

1)enlarge the opening to the bowl by cutting the guide back
2)Cut the top of the ramp off
3)Cut the pushrod hole out then epoxy a tube into its original location so you can tighten the clearances. I have seen this done on 5.0 heads before. Besides this epoxy in the runner to smooth the transition out as well. Perhaps epoxy the stud holes as a bonus.

Thoughts? There have been a few people post their #s when they ported these heads out but I don't really recall anyone actually posting HOW they ported them to get their #s.