TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Did I just blow my 195,500 mile motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Formula, 04 CTS-V, 06 Commander
Engine: 305 TBI, LS6, 4.7 V-8
Transmission: 5 spd, B&M Short Throw
Did I just blow my 195,500 mile motor?

I was driving yesterday and as I pulled out of a parking lot I saw the light ahead of me turn yellow. Being the fool that I am, I let the car wind up in first gear to about 4500 rpms, then just let it roll to the light (with the car in gear) listening to the exhaust backfire as it choked the car down to a slow roll. [Don't think this was an isolated event, I do it way more frequently than I should] Well I stopped at the light, made a left turn and approached the next light. As I sat at that light, it looked like I was overheating (smoke pouring from every crack around the hood imaginable). It smelled like anti-freeze, but the car was running a cool 180*. Get home popped the hood, and there's antifreeze everywhere and so much smoke (steam) I cannot see where it's coming from. Drove the car to work this morning, and same thing. About 2 minutes into the drive, sittin' at a light - smoke everywhere.

I definitely think I popped something related to the cooling system, as there was no pressure in the radiator lines. Not sure if it was simply a radiator hose, or something like a head or intake gasket. The intake manifold has been leaking for years, I just never bothered to fix the minor leak. My dad suggested maybe a freeze plug on the block? The car still runs perfectly, and if not for the smoke/steam at red lights you wouldn't know anything's amuck. No powerloss either (of what's left, anyhow). I guess today after work I'll have to diagnose the problem ... any suggestions as to where to start?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:12 AM

Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi
Re: Did I just blow my 195,500 mile motor?

I had something more or less exactly the same happen with my wife's Oldsmobile. Steam under the hood, coolant loss, steam out the tail pipe, bubbles in the coolant resovoir. ALL of the classic symptoms of a head gasket. But you could drive the car anywhere, and so long as you kept coolant in it, it would not overheat (according to the gauge).

In MY case, I got lucky and it was a water pump. The Small block Oldsmobile pump is a bit different as one side of it seals against the front of the block, so when it's not installed it looks like it's missing half of the casing for it. So, since they're different, I don't know if a water pump could cause the same symptoms on an SBC. But it was just $15 or whatever and a few hours to change the pump, and I was back on the road. All of the symptoms disappeared and the car still runs/drives without them a year later.

So yeah, something you might try before deciding on a head gasket replacement. My Olds was at 178,000 when this all went down as well. My old L03 Camaro's pump was pretty worn out when I got rid of the car at 230K miles. Maybe take your serpentine off and see if the water pump pulley feels loose or rattles. The one on my Olds had a sick amount of play in it when it failed.

But yeah, other than that it sounds likely to be head gaskets or intake gaskets.

Also, check for noise near the front of the engine. That water pump is going to rattle and complain a lot if it's bad.

EDIT: Also, you may find out soon enough that you probably shouldn't drive it very much unless you have to. My brother's L98 Vette had the same type of symptoms and it actually was head gaskets and it went from where you're at to "not driveable" in about 2 days.

Last edited by 80smetalfan; 10-06-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:38 PM

Car: 1990 firebird
Engine: 305 tbi (L03)
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: stock

i wouldn't drive it at all til u find out whats wrong with it
Old 10-07-2009, 01:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's

You can pressure check the cooling system with a bicycle hand pump and some vacuum hose. Just disconnect the puke tank and use the vacuum hose to hook the bicycle pump up to the port for the coolant overflow and pressurize the system. That should tell you where the leak is. Most likely its a cracked radiator side tank, blown hose, blown water pump, etc.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:07 AM

Car: 88 Formula, 04 CTS-V, 06 Commander
Engine: 305 TBI, LS6, 4.7 V-8
Transmission: 5 spd, B&M Short Throw

Found and fixed the problem. You know those hoses that come up the pass. side valve cover, and are joined by a plastic 3 way connector? Well one of the hoses on there backed it's way off. The metal camp had worked it's way loose and walked a few inches down the tube towards the firewall. I guess these coolant lines run to the heater core? Not really sure.

Either way, I re-attached the hose, tightened all 3 clamps and checked all the other clamps that I could see. Filled 'er back up with anti-freeze and let it run for a while. So far - so good.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! At least this time it looks like I got away easy.