TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

7747 AE Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7747 AE Help

Hi everyone, just gotta say thanks for all the priceless info I absorbed from this site. I've been around the drag racing sport for 15 years and I'm finally diving head first into EFI tuning. This seems to be the right place for that sort of thing.

I've been reading old posts for a couple of months regarding 7747 programming and I'm still having problems with AE tuning in particular. I understand all of the concepts, however, some have had more luck with the AE vs Coolant temp (multiplier?) than with the AE vs MAP + AE vs TPS Combo.

Is one way better than the other? Let me explain... I have perfect accel when cold and lean pops when warm. VE's seem close. 132 was the worst BLM I've seen using WINALDL. I have a WB AF Monitor and its WAY lean on accel after warm up. Unfortunately WB doesn't work at startup when engine runs perfect. Combo I've built is a 355, 882 heads w/ small single plane intake + tbi adapter, factory roller cam, ex manifolds, decent exhaust, 5 speed manual in an S truck. I've got a programmer and lots of blanks.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-01-2009, 04:02 AM

Re: 7747 AE Help

Why does your Wbo2 not work when the engine is cold?? My Innovate Lc-1 works fine withing about 3sec of engine start. I would say that you could mess with the coolant vs ae settings slightly and see what happens, or you can start to adjust the Ae-map or Ae-tps. Does it go lean for an instant,or for more than a couple seconds?? What fuel pressure are you running with that setup? what injectors? How much have you tuned the Ve? Just need a little more info and im sure someone on here will beable to help etc. Are you entering closed loop when this happens or still in open loop etc. Can you post a datalog?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:53 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote: Is one way better than the other?

Not really. you may see TPS-AE affording you about 80% of the required AE over MAP based. Maybe 90-10. On My WB I can see each effect of AE. TPS first and then followed by MAP. There is a filter coefficient that can modify the duration and volume of AE fuel in both. along with RPM modifier if you wish to add more msec at a specific RPM. As mentioned coolant based as well. I would due my changes on a fully heat soaked manifold and take notes of the drivability changes you see as you change .bin. Not sure how much surface area the single plane you have has but if on large side that adds more of a challenge. Being a single plane vs dual it might be a bit more difficult. Velocity of mixture charge is helpfull. If it is a cold SP as mine was again does not help. Mixture can fall out. Prob no ext crossover? As you are probably aware lean is as you stated a pop and the rich side will just be flat maybe a gurgle in throttle sound. Finding a happy medium is what you are after. Again the notes specific on RPMs at time of AE pedal movement will be helpfull. If in a cool climate without a IAT sensor you may see a change in AE effect as underhood temps can vary.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:27 AM

A little more information... The WBO2 is a Powerdex (NGK) AFM. It has a delay of sorts when I am doing cold start testing and I think it is because for the last week or so temps have been around -20c and it just doesn't create enough heat by itself to give me any real readings. After a minute or two of running it works great.

As far as the engine goes, I'm running an old Edelbrock Streetmaster intake and tbi adapter (Don't laugh, its the lowest profile intake I could find). Injectors are 65# running stock fuel pressure. Open element air cleaner.

I'm really not sure how far to go on AE. It seems like I've gone pretty far with only small improvements. Anyone else running a similar combo that can give me a hint as to what number they are running?
Old 03-03-2009, 01:14 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

???? I am of belief that WB02 are heated sensors. Should comes to life in about 10 seconds. I dont understand why yours is not the same.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:36 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I has just been slow to react when cold since it was new. The heating circuit works because that is the only way to calibrate and I have done it several times.