TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Tbi Engine Tuning Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009 | 07:11 AM

Tbi Engine Tuning Questions

Hello all I have a few questions on a project I'm building for my daily driver. I know this is not a truck website but ya'll are awsome with this tbi injection. The first one is how difficult is it going to be to tune this combination? I've never done any ecm tuning before but I have been reading alot of the information form yall's site. I've already purchased the Moates burn2 burner, downloaded tunerpro and winaldl software. It's an 85 C10 Chevy SWB truck. I was running a 89 350w/700r4 auto using all the factory 89 wiring (from an89 suburban electronic gauge cluster incl) and 7747 ecm with a ASDU prom untill the oilpump failed and ruined the bottom end. Here's what I'm currently building a 91 350 that has dished pistons an have a set of 601's that I'm doing a full port job with 1.94"/1.50" valves (thanks to help from a friend), the cam I'm going to be running is a SpeedPro CL179 (68' 350hp/327 L79 Corvette repro cam) specs at .447"/.447" lift with 222/222 dur@.050 with a 114 cl, a ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm intake, custom 4barrel to tbi adapter, a 350 tbi unit with an adjustable fpr and all the ultimate tbi mods done to it but still has factory 350 injectors, 14"x5" open element air filter, 1.5/1.6 aluminum roller rockers, full 92' serpentine belt system w/underdrive pulleys, 1 5/8" long tube hooker headers, 2 1/2" true dual exhaust with straight flow glasspack mufflers, stock ignition system (for now), 91 fullsize truck 5 speed with short throw shifter and a 3.42:1 limited slip rearend running 275/60/15's on rear. Like I said before tuning a fuel injected engine is all new to me, I've had them for years and have always wanted to learn to tune them so now's my chance. Will the stock fuel pump be enough to handle these changes? are the 350 injectors going to be big enough? With the port job on these heads is the 1.50" exhaust valve going to be big enough or should i go with a 1.60"? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 02-19-2009 | 10:38 AM

Car: Camaro LT
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r-4
Re: Tbi Engine Tuning Questions

Originally Posted by chevyracer8262
...The first one is how difficult is it going to be to tune this combination? I've never done any ecm tuning before but I have been reading....
OK it is difficult!

I have nerer been chip tuner , but have something similar...
I try to get success with MegasquirtII on my Mild 305 Camaro (212/218 cam stock ported heads,Ported Edelbrock Performer, custom TBI adapter, Holley 670cfm TBI with #85 injectors, Summit high flow fuel pump.. hedders-> H-pipe-> sidepipes. Megasquirt ecu. as You almost everything custom)
I have read a lot info about fuel injection tuning.. And there was not any serious problem to get engine starts and have bad quality ilde. When I tryed to tune idle I ran into problem that I need to know AFR. (+200$ for LC-1) bacause I figured that I can get stable Idle on lean micsture but when I shut engine off and start it again engine dies or periodicly revs up and down. (1500rpm-500)
When I will tune WOT and cruising WB O2 sensor will be also very helpful.

Will the stock fuel pump be enough to handle these changes? are the 350 injectors going to be big enough? With the port job on these heads is the 1.50" exhaust valve going to be big enough or should i go with a 1.60"?
For good project start with planing!!!
First of all decide what to do with Your engine before planing on tune.
Your engine can run with 1.5 valve, but lage valve= more peak HP & TQ.
I U R on tight budget look on SR torker heads.

When You will know what to do with Your engine You will know what HP You will have. Next step You can calculate Fuel pump and injector requirements.
Read this how to calculate http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/minj.htm
You can also read Holley Pro jection tuning manual there are lot of basic fuel injection principles described.

PS sorry if my english is hard to understand.
Old 02-19-2009 | 12:30 PM

Re: Tbi Engine Tuning Questions

Thank's for the info, I'd be extremley happy to get 300-325hp with around a 5500rpm redline out of the engine for a daily driver. As far as the parts selection goes and the heads, I have a buddy who for a profession port's heads and builds very high-output engines and he's the one that recommended the cam for the heads, and he told me that this cam with the flow numbers we got from the heads would work very niceand have a pretty good ammount of vaccum for sensor operation. I don't plan to race it but I am going to install the Moates 2timer so I can install 2 different programs, from what I've read I think it's going to take alot of time, but my commute to work every morning will allow for a 30 minute datalog. The way I want to set it up is to run a performance tune and then work on leaning it out for a more economical tune for daily driving.