TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

CFM TBI spacer

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Camaro RS (IROC-Z Clone)
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08
CFM TBI spacer

Got to looking at this TBI spacer from CFM. http://marine-performance-parts.com/...eanerstud.aspx

Looks promising, even though i doubt that it gives 15hp for my very lightly modded 305 im sure it does have some benefits. I was thinking about buying this to include in my edelbrock intake installation along with there AFPR. I already have there throttle body so im just looking now for some things to complete my intake swap. Any input on the spacer?
Old 01-26-2009, 07:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 350TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Ford 9in 4.10
Re: CFM TBI spacer

The spacers do little to nothing. Plus with all those spacers, your going to probably have to run a thinner air filter, and if you have extra room youd probably gain more power by going with a larger air filter then you would from the spacer.

Save your money.

Also 85$ is completely ridiculous for a hunk of metal.

Last edited by Timothayyy; 01-26-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:56 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 Vortec
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Spacers can in some cases add hp. How much really depends on the engine. In some rare cases they can actually lower performance. It is something you really have to experiment with on your particular build.

However, I do like the crossover passage of this type of spacer for use on a tbi motor.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by alvanwie
Spacers can in some cases add hp. How much really depends on the engine. In some rare cases they can actually lower performance. It is something you really have to experiment with on your particular build.

However, I do like the crossover passage of this type of spacer for use on a tbi motor.
If you really want a spacer, make your own out of some wood, that would be MUCH cheaper and the wood wouldent transfer as much heat to the TB.

I personally wouldent bother for 85$.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Timothayyy
If you really want a spacer, make your own out of some wood, that would be MUCH cheaper and the wood wouldent transfer as much heat to the TB.

I personally wouldent bother for 85$.
Use wood? You got to be kidding me. Thats like some high school kid using wood to make new GFX.... not happening with my car brother.

Thanks for the replies guys, i think ill go with the spacer since i don't have clearance problems with my cowl hood. I also will be planing on installing heads and a cam with in the next year and a half so im sure there will be some benefits later on with the spacer.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:11 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a phenolic material available in sheets. Does not transfer heat. It is used to fab up top plates on crossram intakes designed for carb. Might check into that. Might be able to stack them up to whatever height you desire.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 91RS5spd
Use wood? You got to be kidding me. Thats like some high school kid using wood to make new GFX.... not happening with my car brother.

Thanks for the replies guys, i think ill go with the spacer since i don't have clearance problems with my cowl hood. I also will be planing on installing heads and a cam with in the next year and a half so im sure there will be some benefits later on with the spacer.
Im actually not kidding. It would be a lot better then metal, as it wouldent transfer heat from the intake manifold to the Throttle Body. I mean its your money, but for 85$ its a waste.

Id put that money towards buying the heads and cam instead of this.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:02 PM

Im actually not kidding. It would be a lot better then metal, as it wouldent transfer heat from the intake manifold to the Throttle Body. I mean its your money, but for 85$ its a waste.

Id put that money towards buying the heads and cam instead of this.
I don't want to be drawn further in to this discussion about using wood for a TB spacer. I don't think its a good idea

Any other inquiries about the topic at hand i do appreciate though
Old 01-27-2009, 06:32 PM

I don't want to be drawn further in to this discussion about using wood for a TB spacer. I don't think its a good idea

Any other inquiries about the topic at hand i do appreciate though
As I said, waste your own money. Wood would be better/cheaper/it wouldent even be seen with an air filter on top. As I explained it wouldent transfer heat from the intake manifold to the TB. Its actually a much better idea then using metal and as I explained its almost free.

Any "proof" ive seen of TB spacers doing anything is well within the tolerances of a dyno. Honestly if it helped so much, they probably would have added it from the factory.

For 85$ an LT1 cam would be a MUCHHHHH better option.

But obviously youre set on your ways. If you were so set on buying it, go ahead, I dont get why youd even post on here asking about it.

I looked at your car domain, it looks like your car is essentially stock. Theres much better places to spend your money. Maybe steeper rear gears, rear disc brakes, cam/heads, ECU, widband O2. If you dont have enough money for any of that, start saving up. It looks like your car has the stock exhaust system too, ive seen used headers for not much more then 85$.

Last edited by Timothayyy; 01-27-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: SOLD IT. Mopar guy only now.
Engine: gone
Transmission: gone
Axle/Gears: gone

dont waste your money.

the wood does stop heat from going through to the throttle body therefore helping to deliver cooler fuel and increase HP. now i know its wood, but if you were to pain the outside of it black or something no one would even notice, and most people dont duck down to look under your aircleaner to inspect for tbi spacers. And I wouldnt make a two hole spacer either, tbi motors are already set up for torque, you should make an open spacer for higher rpm breathing. But if you take in more air you need to be able to let the air exit, so therefore i say do an exhaust upgrade first.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:09 PM

As I said, waste your own money. Wood would be better/cheaper/it wouldent even be seen with an air filter on top. As I explained it wouldent transfer heat from the intake manifold to the TB. Its actually a much better idea then using metal and as I explained its almost free.

Any "proof" ive seen of TB spacers doing anything is well within the tolerances of a dyno. Honestly if it helped so much, they probably would have added it from the factory.

For 85$ an LT1 cam would be a MUCHHHHH better option.

But obviously youre set on your ways. If you were so set on buying it, go ahead, I dont get why youd even post on here asking about it.

I looked at your car domain, it looks like your car is essentially stock. Theres much better places to spend your money. Maybe steeper rear gears, rear disc brakes, cam/heads, ECU, widband O2. If you dont have enough money for any of that, start saving up. It looks like your car has the stock exhaust system too, ive seen used headers for not much more then 85$.
Look, i don't understand why you insist that if i get a spacer that i just take my grandfathers pocket knife and widdle a new preformance mod. I don't care how well shade tree mechanics work i want a professional look and know things were done right vs. taking the cheap route. Im also looking for a new under drive pulley so lets say i just take your advice and widdle new pulley for myself out of a nice block of red wood. Im not cheap, and i refuse to take this kind of advice

Ive told you i didn't want to discus this any more, you insisted to pursue it. This conversation is over, and FYI if this is the type of advice i get from this site then im happier to just refer my questions some where else. Thank you and good bye.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:16 PM

Look, i don't understand why you insist that if i get a spacer that i just take my grandfathers pocket knife and widdle a new preformance mod. I don't care how well shade tree mechanics work i want a professional look and know things were done right vs. taking the cheap route. Im also looking for a new under drive pulley so lets say i just take your advice and widdle new pulley for myself out of a nice block of red wood. Im not cheap, and i refuse to take this kind of advice

Ive told you i didn't want to discus this any more, you insisted to pursue it. This conversation is over, and FYI if this is the type of advice i get from this site then im happier to just refer my questions some where else. Thank you and good bye.
Seems you are full of yourself. Underdrive pulleys and spacers are like worthless upgrades. Your money can be MUCH better spent on an LT1 cam like I said.
Making pulleys out of wood is completely stupid, there a moving part and would obviously break. A spacer does nothing, its just a piece of something that raises the TB off the intake manifold, it doesent need to be metal.

As I said, waste your money, I dont care. But if your so offended by the truth, go else where. Underdrive pulleys and spacers add little to nothing.

Professional look? Who the hell bothers to look at your spacer?
Old 01-28-2009, 01:22 PM

Seems you are full of yourself. Underdrive pulleys and spacers are like worthless upgrades. Your money can be MUCH better spent on an LT1 cam like I said.
Making pulleys out of wood is completely stupid, there a moving part and would obviously break. A spacer does nothing, its just a piece of something that raises the TB off the intake manifold, it doesent need to be metal.

As I said, waste your money, I dont care. But if your so offended by the truth, go else where. Underdrive pulleys and spacers add little to nothing.

Professional look? Who the hell bothers to look at your spacer?
Like i said, this conversation is over. A moderator will be locking this thread shortly. Thanks for ignoring my request for you to drop the subject, you have made this experience worthless for me at TGO.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:29 PM

Like i said, this conversation is over. A moderator will be locking this thread shortly. Thanks for ignoring my request for you to drop the subject, you have made this experience worthless for me at TGO.
Youre extremely immature. If you dont like hearing the truth, dont even bother attempting to modify your car.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 425 Likes on 326 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56

Just to clear some things up here a wood spacer isn't ideal for the following reasons.

First, it expands and contracts with thermal cycles of engine and will not seal over time. It will ruin gaskets. Secondly, it is porous and will absorb anything (including particulates in vapors) deeming it a fire hazard. All spacers will transmit heat, albeit at different amounts. Phenolic, as stated above, is the best alternative. Reduced heat transfer, compared to metal, non porous, and low thermal expansion. I run one that is made of a thermal resistant polymer.

As for the aid of a spacer. It doesn't just lift the throttle body off the intake for no reason. To the untrained eye it adds plenum volume which is a basic fundamental of intake manifold design. It helps the stock intake in this fashion. The reason you don't see many improvements on a stock engine is due to the fact that the average spacer user has pre-existing bottlenecks on the engine negating any spacer gains. Add a full exhaust and a properly tuned cam and then you can see where a spacer helps. Just ask Fast355. As for fit? Under the stock hood you can run the Edelbrock 3406 (1/4" taller than stock), a 1/2" spacer, and a 14x3 open air element. It is tight but fits without having to "slam" the hood. A larger air element does nothing.