TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Need Picture of l69 dual snorkel on 90-92

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.08 lt. slip
Need Picture of l69 dual snorkel on 90-92

I am looking for pictures of the L69 dual snorkel set up on late model 3 gen camaro. I have recently acquired the set up and I am curious how to run the passenger side hose as the air conditioner lines are in the way on my 91 RS. Different pictures and/or suggestions would be helpful.....Thanks!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Re: Need Picture of l69 dual snorkel on 90-92

Originally Posted by Jono4820
I am looking for pictures of the L69 dual snorkel set up on late model 3 gen camaro. I have recently acquired the set up and I am curious how to run the passenger side hose as the air conditioner lines are in the way on my 91 RS. Different pictures and/or suggestions would be helpful.....Thanks!
No pic, sorry; however, the pass side scoop/duct is supposded to attach to the coolant jug (there's a tab with a hole in it on the side of the jug). With the air con lines/compressor running where they do, I doubt you'll be able to attach the scoop/duct. You'll note that the L69 cars were equipped with the compressor on the driver's side and the lines were run so as to not interfere.

Perhaps the following link/pics will be helpful:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...t=dual+snorkel

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 01-09-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 252 Likes on 188 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

There are a lot of good pix in that link. Unfortunately, all but one of the cars in that link have the dual snorkel on pre-serpentine engines... including the thread's original poster's car, CaysE's. His installation may have been on a '92, as he said, but looking at his pix, you can see the drive belt set-up on his '92 is not serpentine.

But installing a dual snorkel on a tbi engine faces different issues. The obstacles are the air diverter valve, the serpentine drive set-up, and, indirectly, the coolant recovery tank. And the only pic in that link of a car with a serpentine set-up is azvolfan's. And in his pic, below, you can see that he had to make some adjustments that some people might find unacceptable:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/atta...aner-rseng.jpg

With a tbi engine, the air diverter valve sits too high for the air cleaner, itself. Then if you do get over it, you have to get past the a/c compressor and its hoses, which also sit too high, plus they sit to wide, not leaving enough room for the duct to get around it. So to get past the a/c system, he made room by removing the coolant recovery tank. His finished product works, but...

It seems to me that you might be able to make a dual snorkel fit "properly," and look right, by raising the throttle body. TB spacers are about an inch thick, which should still let the air cleaner fit without running into clearance issues with the hood. And that inch of height might provide just enough clearance to get over the dirverter valve, as well as allowing for enough room to pass by the a/c system without having to remove the coolant recovery tank.

Now, I haven't done the above, but I've studied making this work on my '89's tbi engine, so I know those are the issues that must be dealt with. And the spacer seems like a solution that could work.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by LAFireboyd
There are a lot of good pix in that link. Unfortunately, all but one of the cars in that link have the dual snorkel on pre-serpentine engines... including the thread's original poster's car, CaysE's. His installation may have been on a '92, as he said, but looking at his pix, you can see the drive belt set-up on his '92 is not serpentine.

But installing a dual snorkel on a tbi engine faces different issues. The obstacles are the air diverter valve, the serpentine drive set-up, and, indirectly, the coolant recovery tank. And the only pic in that link of a car with a serpentine set-up is azvolfan's. And in his pic, below, you can see that he had to make some adjustments that some people might find unacceptable:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/atta...aner-rseng.jpg

With a tbi engine, the air diverter valve sits too high for the air cleaner, itself. Then if you do get over it, you have to get past the a/c compressor and its hoses, which also sit too high, plus they sit to wide, not leaving enough room for the duct to get around it. So to get past the a/c system, he made room by removing the coolant recovery tank. His finished product works, but...

It seems to me that you might be able to make a dual snorkel fit "properly," and look right, by raising the throttle body. TB spacers are about an inch thick, which should still let the air cleaner fit without running into clearance issues with the hood. And that inch of height might provide just enough clearance to get over the dirverter valve, as well as allowing for enough room to pass by the a/c system without having to remove the coolant recovery tank.

Now, I haven't done the above, but I've studied making this work on my '89's tbi engine, so I know those are the issues that must be dealt with. And the spacer seems like a solution that could work.

I will try the spacer. I think that may be the best solution for me..Thanks!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 TA / 89 Formula
Engine: LS1 / L03
Transmission: T56 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 / 3.27

hmm, now that's an interesting idea. i had never thought of using a spacer to make the dual snorkel setup a true bolt-on.. sounds interesting, keep us posted on what you find out!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Supreme Member

And not only would you gain a little hp by adding a dual snorkel, but also there would be the benefit of (supposedly) gaining a little torque with the throttle body spacer.

I think the coolant recovery tank might still be an issue, though, even using a TB spacer. It's just so BIG. But it could be replaced with a pre-'88 tank, which wasn't nearly as massive, and most people wouldn't even notice. It would also be a good excuse to get a nice, new, clean tank.

There's also a very minor matter of drilling a hole in the bottom of the dual snorkel air cleaner base for the LO3's IAT sensor.

And the Thermac heat riser "foil" duct is also dual snorkel-specific... but only because its curvature makes it a longer piece than the straight duct used on LO3s.

Hey ownor, I see that, in addition to your '89 LO3 Formula, you've also got an '84 L69 TA... has the functional hood, right? You know, rather than adapting a dual snorkel onto your LO3, the functional assembly and air cleaner lid like your '84 hood has would be direct bolt-ons to your(or any) LO3 Formula. I don't know how easy those parts are to find in Austria, but I wouldn't think they'd be any harder to find than dual snorkels.

IMO, GM should've revived the functional power bulge for the LG4/LO3 when they re-introduced the Formula in 1987. It would've given standard-engined Formulas a little "boost" over base 'birds with V8s.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 TA / 89 Formula
Engine: LS1 / L03
Transmission: T56 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 / 3.27

i remember seeing a comparison of the flow numbers of these air cleaners. the standard single-snorkel scored something like ~350 cfm, whereas the dual snorkel could achieve - you guessed it - just a bit about double, like 700-ish cfm
now i don't know about the throttle body spacers but i think they only add torque or power by shifting the effective rpm band some 100 rpms up!
anyhow, both parts in combination will probably give you some gains and enhance the intake system for some nice future mods

you might be right about the issue with the coolant tank, but as you already stated, most of our coolant tanks aren't that fancy looking anymore anyway, so any reason to get a new clean tank will do

hehe, you got that right - in fact, both of my cars have an active cowl setup, but of course the L03 wasn't supplied with this as a stock feature. as both cars are only driven in sunshine weather, i didn't wire the cowl setup on the L03 up but blocked it open instead, because i didn't have the harness and the vacuum setup to trigger it.

oh and i get every single part from overseas, the amount of junk'd f-bodies to grab parts from around here is pretty small as you can think, most of them being V6 anyway

i'll see if i have a pic from my active cowl setup on the formula! it's a very easy mod, and i remember somebody even found a replacement part for the vacuum switch to open the cowl at low vac. i will get you the threadlink and a pic of my setup in the evening.
l8r
Old 01-12-2009, 01:47 PM

I pulled the motor (350 TBI) out this last weekend and I am freshening her up with some new parts. I just bought a new coolant tank to replace the yellow dirty one that was in there. I am thinking with the extra inch or so from the spacer and the absence of the smog pump distribution box I should be able to run the snokel hose on top of the air conditioner lines and still clear the hood provided the hose is oval shaped. I will post pictures of the completed project when I am finished.
Where would I get a TBI spacer? Are there better vs worse ones?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Supreme Member

The dual snorkel base's main obstacle is the air diverter valve (box), so if you're removing that, then you might be able to get away without raising the throttle body. So you might check that out before commiting to a spacer... unless you really wanna use a spacer anyway.

The L69 duct is oval at the air cleaner end, and it's oval at the scoop end, but it's round all the way between the ends. But it's very flexible, so you could "shape" it and probably get it over the a/c hoses.

You can probably order throttle body spacers from any auto parts store, but Summit lists several. They're not specific to either the 305 or 350. They all for either/both. But search by engine, not car, because most are listed for GMC trucks.

If I were getting one for a 350, I'd probably get the "Wide Open" model by Trans Dapt. But choose the one that best fits the way you'll want to car to "feel," meaning more low-end torque or more high-end. And ask questions to make sure whichever one you decide on comes with gaskets and mounting hardware. I think most do, but it's not shown for all of them. And something else you'll need is an extension fitting for the fuel line so it will reach the new height of the throttle body. It doesn't come with the throttle body.

It would probably be safer to order on the phone with Summit, because their sales person would probably know, or could get, the answers to your questions. Whereas, someone behind the counter at your local auto parts store might not have access to that kind of info.

It just keeps getting more complicated, doesn't it? lol

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 01-12-2009 at 11:11 PM.