TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

WHATS THE FIRST MODS YOU DID TO YOUR F-BODY?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 camaro rs, 86 iroc-Z, 05 cbr900r
Engine: 305-383
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
WHATS THE FIRST MODS YOU DID TO YOUR F-BODY?

THIS SHOULD BE INT. WHAT IS THE FIRST MODS YOU DID 2 YOUR F-BODY.. EVEN IF YOU MADE A DYRER DUCT INTAKE, ALSO LET US KNOW WHAT KIND OF POWER YOU GAIND FROM IT, THIS WILL HELP OTHERS STARTING THERE BUILD. TELL US!!!.. MY FIRST MODS WAS A ELDEBROCK POWER PACKEGE, INC. INTAKE, CAM(NOT MUCH LIFT) VALVE SPRING,LIFTERS AND SAME DAY HAD A CHEAP PRO FLOW MUFFLER PUT ON. THEN I RUN TO AUTO ZONE, GET SOME MSD WIRES,CAP,ROTOR AND COIL. SWITCHED ALL FLUIDS TO ROYAL PURPLE AND PUT A B&M SHIFT IMPROVER KIT IN IT WITH THE FILTER CHANGE. NEEDLEES TO SAY, THAT REALLY WOKE IT UP!! IT STARTED WALKIND SIDEWAYS WITH ME AND I AM STILL MODDING CAR SLOWLEY MUCH MORE.. I THINK MY BIGGIEST GAIN WAS FROM A DUEL PLANE AIR GAP ELDEBROCK INTAKE..
Old 10-04-2008, 10:44 AM

Car: 92 RS Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Re: WHATS THE FIRST MODS YOU DID TO YOUR F-BODY?

On my first F-body 83 z28 I pulled the crossfire out and swapped a 350/th350 and never looked back. On my second a 92 RS I did a full stereo system front to back. And the 88 Firebird which came with a 3.4 swap I did a full top end port with emission pull and exhaust work.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi

First mod was a wonder bar. Then SFC. Then suspension re-build w/ springs, endlinks, tubular/poly stuff in the rear, shocks/struts, full front end (steering linkage, NAPA stock replacement rubber A-arm bushings, ball joints, strut mounts, steering box, strut mounts). At the same time I was doing this I was ripping apart the interior and completely overhauling it.

It is my belief that for a daily driver, ride quality/suspension (AKA SAFETY!) and interior comfort is of utmost importance, so I did these first. Then I went to the engine and started with headers/3" exhaust, then a 3.42 posi rear and many other small mods aside, that's where I'm at now.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: SOLD IT. Mopar guy only now.
Engine: gone
Transmission: gone
Axle/Gears: gone

first mod was exhaust
Old 10-04-2008, 06:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Camaro RS
Engine: obd2 350 lt1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23

new engine and full exhuast than a sound system stock is terrible
Old 10-04-2008, 06:48 PM

airfoil, didn't notice any power change though.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89RS(other cars & pics in vBgarage)
Engine: LO3, 305 TBI Mildly Modified
Transmission: BakerBuilt 700R4 w/B&M Megashifter
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Auburn Pro Series LSD

ulitimate tbi mods, cut off the cat, and full 3" exhaust, within 4 days of buying it

rest was done over time
Old 10-04-2008, 06:50 PM

Car: 91 RS TBI 91 Z28 TPI
Engine: 305
Transmission: wc T5

1st mod sportline springs, rims and cat back exhaust.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: 1988 camaro "SS"/ 1991 305/T5
Engine: 383 LT1 in progress/LT1TBI 355 soon
Transmission: Probuilt 700R4 3600 stall/ T5
Axle/Gears: Moser axles, 3.42 Eaton Posi

The very first mod I did to my car 5 years ago was tune it up. The first "meaningful" mod I did was a K&N Filter. After that I got alittle more serious.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:23 PM

Received 225 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Moved the floor mat so that it was no longer under the go-pedal. Then checked that when floored the TB was fully open. Found it wasn't fully open and pulled the carpet back. Removed some padding from where it resides under the go-pedal.

I could then floor it and the TB was fully open.

A few years later (once out of warranty) I removed the EPROM and read it. Then proceeded to crank the callibration.

RBob.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:54 PM

all but the 383 \/
Old 10-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

MSD wires, coil pack, thermostat, cap, TBI mods, intake manifold.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:15 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro
Engine: 5.0L TBI

After the complete tune-up, body work, trans rebuild and re-doing the interior:
Jegs brand cat-back exhaust with a magnaflow muffler.
Open air intake.
Then went with:
Headman shorty headers
Headman y-pipe
magnaflow cat

That's the way she currently sits right now. I have a 350 that was supposed to go in there, but money is tight right now (Why must I get an education at college, like come on now) and I've changed my plans for her.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:57 AM

Car: 87 z28
Engine: HO305 with a 4 barrel

well...replaced the door handle so i could get out. but if that doesnt count then i put a very very mild amp/ subs in it, then i put an iroc-z hood on it. still need to replace the fender and drivers door from the side-swipe from the previous owner. plan on changing to tbi this winter. other than that im trying to keep it as stock as possible. its my cruisin car. rather save the power/speed for either a 68 camaro ss (if i can ever get one otherwise ill have to do a replica) or a 98-02 z28 or ss. which ever one i can get first
Old 10-17-2008, 06:49 AM

Car: 1991 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4,
Axle/Gears: 3.73 w/SLP Zexel Torsen Limited Sli

First mod on all 4 of my firts 2 3rd gens(92 bird, 87 cam LT) and my latest 3rd gen(91 RS) was a Accel 300+ ignition system. First mod on my 82 Z-28 was the lg4/700r4 out of my 87 bc the car didn't have a motor or trans in it.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: 2004 LQ4
Transmission: T-5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Week 1 -> B&M shift kit and trans Pan
Week 2 -> 3.42 Rear axle with POSI
Week 3 -> haven't got there yet..
Old 10-17-2008, 10:29 PM

Car: 89 camaro rs, 86 iroc-Z, 05 cbr900r
Engine: 305-383
Axle/Gears: 3.73

My mods are flo pro long tubes into 3 in pipe out a flo pro muffler has the jg5 option rear disc brakes with 3.73's, 14x3 open element with k&n extreme lid, full tbi rebuild, oem specs, eldebrock duel plane intake, lt1 cam,Not installed, 1.6 rollor rockers, msd dist, coil,6al hypertech.. now this is the first camaro I have really modded, All the mods has been done in 2 months!! Its really woke her up, I got a 95 mustang cobra, c4 far from stock.. chevy will pass it at 80 to 90 mph and stay in front.. Thanks everyone!!!!!1
Old 10-17-2008, 10:37 PM

Car: 1991 RS, 84 El Camino conquista RIP
Engine: 5.0 (for now)
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 2.xx torsen limited slip & 3.42 ope

week 1 need spped sensor ugh
week 2 AC bypass
week 3 new smog pump ugh (just untill i'm exempt just incase i move)

than bought a non drop filter cut the base off put it on a L69 air cleaner
wonder bar
cut off cat
switch to lock up torque convertor
msd wires
better cap rotor
ripped out gasket by cowl except 9" around dizzy area
converted condensor to tranny cooler

than ran out of funds ugh!

my wish list is.....

next is manual trans, posi, exhaust, bigger sway bars, lowering springs, LS brakes, sub frame connectors and trower brace (in no particular order)

trust me start back to front!! suspension than engine/trans
than i replace driver's seat, get a upper cousel, new headliner, new window and then it's perfect. By then the LS9 will be avail and i'll buy it! muh haha!
Old 10-18-2008, 09:30 PM

Car: 91 RS Convertible
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: Stock Automatic-for now
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi

First thing I did was some LED gauge faces. They look great but performance wise, the first meaningful mod was subframe connectors.

Even at stock rs power levels they improved the launch so much it felt like a major engine mod. much more neck snap to my take-off, even punching it at moderate speed to pass. Also worlds of difference in ride quality, especially pulling into steep drives and parking lots. Cornering improved too.

Next was a 3.42 posi. Also one of the best ways to spend your money.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:03 PM

Fixed the hood latch so I could get the hood open.
Looked at the 350 with the cracked block...
Pulled motor to start the 383 build that's almost done now.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:26 AM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 Probuilt Hardparts
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23

Here is my recipe. I've parked the car for almost 95% of the time I've owned it to modify things, all things I've learned from this venerable website. I love thirdgen.org Someone should make some small 0.25"X5" stickers for the TGO. Anyway, have had it put up so "we've" done all this in the past 8 months, mostly on the weekends as we can. This isnt ideal for everyone, luckily my brother has let me borrow his jeep... finally worth something... brothers are worthless most of the time.

removed air cleaner assy, thermac junk (went to air inlet system's high dolla' setup)

complete tune up (excluding spark plugs, saved for when exhaust was off) Why do people like to neglet camaros??

ripped the whole rear end out for:
aluminum driveshaft, ls1 rear end 3.42 posi (2001 trans am), jegs torque arm, panhard bar, lca's, eibach springs, and kyb shocks which I hate, some relocation brackets, new gas tank, walbro 250 fuel pump, and to fix the hole the idiot cut to replace the fuel pump before I bought it.... sofa king-dumb...

changed to 16" iroc rims

replaced/upgraded entire front steering/suspension (PST's stuff, NAPA goodies, cleaned up the spindle's and whatnot with full new OEM front brakes, inner/outer bearings, etc... including edelbrock strut tower brace and a WoNdEr bar and oversize swaybar.

switched to dual oem electric fans and fixed the sofa king-dumb "wire the fan to the ignition coil 12v+ (how they couldnt see it would affect spark proliferation, I dont know)

smog pump delete pulley

new exhaust (edelbrock TES and catback system (350)) which we finished just tonight. Jegs 200/185 fan switch, napa 185 thermostat.

subframe connectors are next weekend..... like most, we have some rust to deal with before they go on.

So much work. Only because thirdgen camaro's are so damn good looking.

Anyway, back to something very important: My good good friend who has helped me do all of this explained at the start that if you cant get the power to the pavement, you're wasting your time---aside from minor things like changing a breather from stock crap 1X3" inlet, etc... starting from the ground up has made such a huge difference and I'll try to qualify why--

Air Inlet setup: didnt notice much of a direct change in different air cleaner assy's. I just KNOW i'm able to move enough air now, and you cannot put a price tag on having confidence in your car. I'm sure it helped, i just didnt have an anticipated, noticeable expectation--Just knew it had to be done.

the rearend change out/suspension deal: HOLY GOOD GOOGLY MOOGLY. this was by far the best thing I ever did to my car. I'm so impressed with a steeper gear (2.73-->3.42), and I got a zexel torsen posi too, so apparently, no clutches inside to burn (at the HP/TQ i will be making when I'm done, this rear is adequate I guess?). the relocation brackets for ideal angles on a lowered stance--The traction and transfer of power gives me a boner every time I goose the pedal. so cool, sofa-king cool.

front suspension--considering the parts were all still original, and lacking at least some of the "goodies" the other models recieved... having a tight, dialed in, (if you blow on the steering wheel, expect a trajectory change) (run over a dime and be able to tell what year it was made) kick a$$ front end. . . My car handles like a brand new go-cart, and it seems the faster I go, the more it eats it up, sucks down, and streamlines out. Confidence. l just recently went up the west virginia turnpike... I was scaring people, for sure, but never a hiccup, even over 100mph. wonderbars and braces, polygraphite and grease. I could write a poem, because a new steering/suspension setup will have you jamming classical music going 98 on the hwy giving halfway good looking milfs "the smile". new brakes all around---the rear discs made a huge difference, specifically, there is no more front nose dive when stomping the brakes--none. (very important: dont use kyb gr2 in the rear)

the aluminum drive shaft-- well, ??, that vibration/pulsing went away for sure! and the whole thing about rotational mass makes sense. who knows. jumped on the bandwagon.

The exhaust system--ran into some issues with a broken bolt in the head, but all in all, this is definitely the second best thing I did to the camaro. what a mickey mouse setup the OEM manifolds were. my catalytic converter was oem too, so it was likely gooped up... such a great mod to do to really see a big difference. I'm impressed.

Other than usual things like rust and weatherstripping (can you say root cause?), and the subframe connectors for next weekend, I've come to a major fork in the road for my car: keep the 305 stock until whenever, or begin to modify it with the proper components that will interchange to a 350 (much) later... likely what I'll do is to get a set of 58cc vortec heads (new castings) and an acceptable computer camshaft, vortec intake with egr, adapter/spacer and grind on the throttle body a little bit, get adjustability in my fuel pressure and begin to burn prom chips. somewhere, before I take this step, I want to experiment with a small nitrous system (50hp maybe?) OR, do the LSx, T56 swap. Thats still up in the air. I'm afraid that I will never be satisfied.

the important thing is, I havent invested in the 305 shortblock at all, and whatever I strap to it should be swappable to a 350. I'm very picky too, fortunate for the maro. I'm really interested in tbi tuning, so I may go ahead and start to accumulate for the vortec route.

Basically, my feelings are, the engine should be the last thing that is ever touched. Driving my car for the first time since all of this stuff was done, two things have occurred to me:

First, unfortunately, I didnt bother checking each change individually. why re-invent the wheel. I do kinda wish I would have though. Secondly, that animal I drove home tonight, wow, we are going to be great friends for a very long time. Theres no comparing that slacker (getting whooped by my neighbors maxima) to what it has just become. I cant wait to get into the internals of the motor and smack the ecm around a little. Want to see what kind of transmission dana can hook me up with too. I probably wont touch the existing tranny, but instead, source dana and slap it in.

This is the orchestra in which I have been consumed.

one hell of a first mod, huh? I try not to think about how much I've spent.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 428 Likes on 368 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

Originally Posted by ryan91rs
By then the LS9 will be avail and i'll buy it! muh haha!
Its funny, I keep reading LS9 and thinking of the 160 HP 350 that came in fullsize trucks and vans in the mid 70s to mid 80s.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:28 AM

Car: 92 RS camaro, 99 Z-24 cavalier
Engine: 5.0L TBI, 2.4L
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Performance wise first was a 160 thermostat then Bosch Wires and platinum spark plugs, then ACCEL distributor cap and rotor, Next came the K&N air filter, and lastly I switched to synthetic oil. havent had the money to add any thing new lately. OH and car already came with Flowmaster exhaust no cat and a different cam not sure on the specs for it.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:12 AM

Car: 1984 Z28 HT,2006 2500HD
Engine: 5.7L, 6.6Llbz dmax
Transmission: 700R4, 6 speed allison
Axle/Gears: worn out 3.73 posi

first thing i did was a new floor then after that all new bushings and mounts then a full new stereo front to back and now 350 swap