TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Need Guidance with WINALDL Log & FP

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 CE 36,000 Miles
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.87
Need Guidance with WINALDL Log & FP

I have been reading past posts on the forum and am looking for some guidance and direction with the following questions. I have a 82 CE with 36,000 miles with the mods listed below.

Attached are log file and tables from datalog I did today. Would really appreciate any input on what all these are telling me. I am running stock ECM and injectors. My main concern is that in the log file that Async flag is 1 all the time. Does this mean I am in non-sychronized mode all the time or does 0 indicate non-sychronized? I can't seem to find a clear answere on this. If I it is in non-sychronzied mode all the time what could be the possible causes of this or items I should be checking?

It appears in looking at the BLM table, that I am still running lean at higher RPM and MAP. I have the stiffer spring from Top-Down Solutions, but have not installed it yet. Will increasing the pressure past 15 help this problem and if so, do I need to go to larger injectors? If I am understanding this correctly, increasing pressure could cause it to run rich at idle.

Overall the engine runs good, no starting issues, stumble, etc. It does surge some at higher RPM's in second and I am getting some backfire on decelaration. If I lower the FP to 14 or lower, the surging is very noticable and the BLM's will increase across the table, with some into the 140's.

One of my goals was to be able to make the mods that I have done and still keep the stock ECM. Have I crossed the line or is their still room for additional adjustments to make it run right with the stock ECM?

Any guidance on what to look at next or which direction to go would be appreciated. Plus anything else that jumps out at you in looking at the log and tables. I'm kinda of stuck on where to go from this point.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
08-23-08 LOG 15PSI.txt (114.8 KB, 82 views)
08-23-08 BLM 15PSI.txt (9.2 KB, 63 views)
08-23-08 INT 15PSI.txt (9.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 08-24-2008, 11:14 PM

Re: Need Guidance with WINALDL Log & FP

Here is the O2 Table
Attached Files
08-23-08 O2 15PSI.txt (9.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 08-25-2008, 04:42 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A few years back I was in your position. Same cam. Replaced heads with something better. Headers-Dual ext. Better intake(XRam). Stock ECU. car ran like crap. I had no choice. I would suggest you consider the Hammed Flash EBL. The datalogs you have just done would have created a new.bin with EBL Learn feature. I think you can get by with stock injectors utilizing higher FP to feed WOT needs. You are correct the higher FP will affect choke and cold start A/F but once it goes CL the NB 02 will force stoich and you should be at desired A/F at cruise and idle.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:31 PM

Ronny,

Thanks for the reply. The car really runs pretty good so I will continue to monitor as I make other adjustments to see if I will ultimately need to upgrade ECM.

Did you know the answer to my main question re Async flag? On WINALDL log if the Aysync flag is 1 does that mean the injectors are staying in non-synch mode or does 0 indicate non-sync.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:24 AM
TGO Supporter

I dont use winALDL. I cant remember the significance of flag 1. Do you see any other parameters that are also flagged 1? Like closed loop? Only time I have read asynch mode needed is when the ECU cannot satisfy needs in synch mode. I personally saw asynch for me at idle(i was too rich/20 lbs FP with no VAFPR) and I believe others saw it in PE(maybe too lean?). If CL and you see 1 I will "guess" 1=off for asynch.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:49 PM

This is where I am confused. When in OL the closed loop flag is "O" and when it changes to CL it changes to "1". So it would seem to me that if the Aysnc Flag is "1" that I would be running in non-sync mode (Async) and have issues somewhere. If sychronized I would think it should be "0". But for the AC flag it is "1" when AC is off and "0" when it is on?? I sent an e-mail to Joby to see if I can get a better explanation of the flag for Async. If I get a response I will post it.

If anyone else is using WINALDL with a crossfire setup let me know what you are getting in the Async flag column.

Because of the 160 baud rate of the ECM am I limited to using WINALDL for diagnostic or are there other programs that will work with this ECM for diagnostics that I could download and compare results to?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:10 PM
TGO Supporter

Tunercat nor tunerpro Supports that ECU. I would think maybe one of the scan tools might but that costs $$$.

When I ran stock ECU I would get a CE light with a code for lean. That was only cruising at 30 mph for a mile at low RPM. I suspect I was in asynch then and CL as car wanted mucho fuel. My BLM was probably maxed out(160) and could not add any more fuel. As a stopgap I cranked up FP and added a GM VAFPR but that did not work out either.