TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

jet chip stage 2 ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 IROCZ
Engine: L98 350, mini ramed and camed
Transmission: T56 6 speed manual
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3:73 limited slip
jet chip stage 2 ?'s

Got me a Jet stage 2 chip from a friend for cheap. I know it won't do much as far as power. I just got it to remove the speed limiter. Anyways. What I was wondering is about where should the timing be set at. Right now I have it set a 6 degrees advanced. I'm afraid to put the chip in with it that advanced since the chip will advance it even more. Do I need to retard the timing back down to the stock 0 degrees. Also. The chip is made for a 92 T.B.I. with an auto. And my car is a 89 T.B.I. with an auto. I don't think there is any difference. But just wanted to make sure. Thanks in advance for all the help! Adam :-)
Old 12-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI (LO3)
Transmission: 700r4, Vette Servo
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 Bolt, PBR disks
Re: jet chip stage 2 ?'s

Welcome to the TBI forum's "Hot Button" issue.

Adam... you are playing with the longevity of your engine here. Sure, your speed limiter is gone but how often do you really care about that (for our law enforencement friends I hope "hardly ever" is your answer). Next off, those chips are cookie cutter PROMs with a ton more fuel and air thrown into the tables. Changing your timing isn't going to make much of a difference.

My advice, stick with the stock chip. Your engine will run more efficiently and last longer. If you want a GOOD chip, you have to get one burned by someone who has analyzed the datalog from your car. Have you modded the car? Headers? Intake? Cam? If so, you need a custom chip even more so.

My
Old 12-15-2007, 05:45 PM

Well the car is my daily. There's not much done to it. The IROC is where the real good stuff is at. But I do like to do a few things to it to make the drive to work more interesting. Anyways. The RS's motor has a K&N air filter, 3" cat back with no cat. In a little bit it's going to have a set of 84 305 H.O. heads and exhaust manifolds and y pipe with a high flow cat. Then a crossfire running on the 89 ecu. Got the stuff laying around. So why not. Plus I have the cool little flaps for cold air on the hood. lol. The drive train is a stock auto. It will probably get a shift kit and corvette servo when it's time for a rebuild. It has a aluminum drive shaft and the rear is the stock 2:73 one wheel rear with a set of aluminum drums off of the 84 Z28. But the IROC's 3:27 posi rear disc 9bolt is going to find it's way under it soon. And it has the 84 Z28 sway bars and springs too.

Anyways. what's so bad about the chip? If there are a lot of them running around with them and they were bad. Wouldn't the company not sell them anymore. I did a little searching about them. And they seem to be the best of the chips out there that are not custom. I figured it will probably add 1 or 2 hp. I'm not looking for much. It's was cheap and figured why not. Thanks again for help. Adam :-)
Old 12-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI (LO3)
Transmission: 700r4, Vette Servo
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 Bolt, PBR disks

Another member asked me in PM for more information. Here's what I wrote to him:

If you learn anything from the experts on the TBI forum (I am not one of them) you will learn that it is impossible to mail order a PROM for your car simply by selecting "Stage 1" or "Stage 2". You have to get these custom burned after some serious data logging has occurred.

I put the "Stage One" chip in from TBIchips.com and thought it was cool. The fact was there was no noticeable improvement and the dyno showed it. Also, an O2 test indicated I was throwing twice the fuel I needed into my intake. The comment was, "You're burning enough gas for two cars!"

That's all I got.

My best advice is that if you want to spend the time, look into data logging and getting the hardware to burn your own chips. It'll cost you about 200 bucks but that is endless amounts of fun playing with the input tables your car uses. Plus, you'll instantly make a ton of friends who will want you to burn them one too.

With what you just described (full 3" catback, Air filter) I would leave it alone. I have those too and still use the stock chip. Without datalogging, putting something cookie cutter in my car is not going to happen.

more.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:39 PM

There's no way I am going to do data logging and custom burning chips on this car. Seems like to much of a hassle to do for a car that I don't thinik is going to need it. It's just a fun daily put together with parts I have laying around or got for free/cheap. And the IROC is going obd2. So there is no need to do chip burning there. Adam :-)
Old 12-16-2007, 09:54 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73

The only problem I can think of would be the '89 has a cable speedo and the '92 has an electronic speedo. But on a TBI they both go to a buffer box before going to the computer, so it should be ok. Try it and see. It wont hurt anything, and if it doesnt work, just remove it.

Same with your timing. Leave it at 6 and if the car pings, back it down. I highly doubt that chip would add that much timing, anyway.