TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

in need of some assistance...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
in need of some assistance...

hey there everyone, im James and im new to the thirdgen.org message boards and im in need of some assistance with my 1991 Camaro RS 305 TBI. I finally took the camaro out of storage to get it roadworthy again and now the ****er wont fire up... My car sat for about two years because the tranny was slipping so bad i could no longer drive it. I started the car every few months and everything and it would sit there and run perfectly. I pulled the tranny with my cousin about two weeks ago... got it rebuilt (it was done in two days)... and put it back in. The car fired right up... let the fluid cycle, added more... everythings fine with that. Took it for a little spin around the block and ran out of gas about two blocks from my house.... i added more gas and since then it wouldnt fire and stay idling... So i proceded to change the plugs and wires (which needed it so i just got that outta the way hoping that was the issue)... still wouldnt fire and stay idling... so then i changed the fuel filter... still wont fire.... the fuel pump is priming and making the noise like its working when i turn the key to on so i dont think thats it.... and i even blew the fuel lines out with a compressor to break up any clogged **** in there... the injectors were also spraying just fine before i ran out of gas aslo... i realize im not getting fuel at the motor so what else should i do?? i figured one of the fellow thirdgen owners out there could steer me in the right direction, so if anyone can add to this it would be greatly appreciated... thanks alot!!

-James
Old 09-17-2007, 01:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: in need of some assistance...

For starters, have you pulled the air cleaner off to see if the fuel getting to the engine looks adequate? May have a pump that went out after a while, or a bad fuel filter due to the varnish from the tank plugging it up. I'd probably want to have a gauge hooked up before I made any real diagnosis about the fuel system though.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 75 Beast
Engine: 383 +EBL Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.11 with 33"
Re: in need of some assistance...

'91Camaro

Since your car sat for two years with same old gas in the gas tank the most likely scenario is:

1) FP is history due to over heating - you did mentioned that you run out of GAS!

2) Fuel pick-up sock has disintegrated and clogged up fuel pickup inlet tube and Fuel Pump (FP).

3) FP outlet port to feed through tube rubber hose has ruptured, fuel never gets out of tank.

To verify that you have adequate fuel pressure RENT a fuel pressure tester from auto-parts store. TBI systems do not have a fuel pressure test port. Fuel pressure tester (on a stock car) can be inserted at TBI inlet port (via T-adaptor) or in place of fuel filter. As always when working with pressurized fuel delivery system proper safety precautions must be observed.

//RF