TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Car stalls right after startup.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 bored .30 over
Axle/Gears: Posi 342
Car stalls right after startup.

I need some help and/or input on this.... I went to start up my car the other day to pull it in the garage and clean the engine bay and I started it up and about 3 seconds later it died with the engine light on. Did the same thing everytime I started it. I popped the hood and noticed I had the smog canister deal unhooked from when taking it out to clean the body underneath. I hooked it up and thought it was fixed but I guess I just gave it gas right away to move it. I went to move it from the garage and it did the same thing. I changed the fuel filter and it still hesitated to start so I finally started forcing gas in and threw it in gear and took it down the road accelerating hard. I came back and it seemed to run a little rough but it stayed running atleast. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and it finally came down to normal operations and then went out today to start it up becuase I will be needing to drive it tomarrow and it wont start once agian. I can't even keep it running. I did notice this happened on the next start up after I filled it up with gas. Do you think that there could be water impurites in the tank or sumthing...... and also, is there any other filters in the fuel line that could use a changing? I don't know what else to look for, I am pretty sure the fuel pump is fine, you can hear it work right when turning over the ignition...and it was replaced around 40k miles ago with the new engine. Any advice would be great.Sorry about the novel.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:39 PM

Re: Car stalls right after startup.

Noone can help?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:42 PM

Car: 1992 RS Heritage
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: TCI 700r4

Check your fuel pump. Had a similar situation with mine, it would start, then die, then start up and run fine. Sometimes it would die a few times before it run. Good luck. If you've never changed a fuel pump in one of these, you're in for a treat.
-Dave
Old 08-06-2007, 06:15 PM

Hey man, I appreciate the advice but I actually just fixed it. I was talking to my mechanic at work and he said he had bad gas one time and put some HEET in it which is supposed to get rid of water and stuff. I put that in there along with some Berryman fuel system cleaner and the car still did the same thing, I tried it for a while and started to smell the cleaner and the car started to run a bit longer everytime. I finally realized I knew it was bad gas for sure and said f this and syphoned out the gas(around 13 gallons worth), and put some fresh in, car still did a little sputtering and stalling until I worked the rest of the bad stuff outta the line, once that was out the car ideled fine. I drove out and bought another can of that Berryman cleaner since the last one was wasted and put that in with a fresh fill up of premium gas. Car runs great, idles smooth and I am very happy.

Sooo, if anyone has a similar problem, try and drain ur gas
Old 08-07-2007, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Monte Carlo SS
Engine: 400 SBC
Transmission: 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 4.10

That sucks, don't buy gas there anymore!

That stuff bit my friend in the butt too. He has an '89 Mustang that is modded to the teeth. It is one of the best foxbody Mustangs you'll ever see. Unfortunately it is costing him a bundle to mainatin and just own. So he is selling it (it's killing him), but he is buying a Porsche 944 Turbo S instead so he'll be fine. He has been chansing down drivability problem after drivability problem in the past few weeks trying to get it ready for sale. As the buyer was en route to his house he realized he had a clogged fuel filter, the second one in six months! His tank is full of crap!
Old 08-07-2007, 07:15 AM

Car: 1992 RS Heritage
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: TCI 700r4

Cool. Glad you got it sorted out.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:37 PM

Ok, back to the problem. Went out the next day and its doing the same thing. But I can actually give it gas a little at a time and it will finally idle after 5 minutes of that. I am gunna post a new thread and question about injectors for more hits, check it out.