TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

are summit lifters any good

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are summit lifters any good

A summit cam and lifter set is around 65 bucks and just a summit cam is around 52 bucks. I've got a comp cam and lifter set I'm wanting to upgrade and I can't decide if I should just resurface my comp lifters (they tick a little but seem to be ok) or get new summit lifters. I'm just worried about a lifter collapsing or terrible lifter tick and so on. I'm referring to hydraulic flat tappet lifters by the way.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
Re: are summit lifters any good

AC Delco lifters are around 80 bucks. Flat tappet lifters should always be replaced with new when you install a cam. The lifters are crowned .001" so they roll across the cams surface. A worn lifter is wear matched to the old cam and also may not have the crown anymore, which can cause a bunch of wiped out lobes as the lifter will drag across the surface of the cam.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 83 Trans Am
Engine: LT1 350
Transmission: 5 Speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10bolt till it breaks

I notice that usually you can spot a bad lifter and likely wiped out cam lobe by observing the pushrods while the engine is running. If a pushrod isnt spinning you have a problem because the lifter should be spinning and causing the pushrod to spin too. Also it seems that when the lifter no longer spins properly they also dont maintain lash correctly either. I discovered this recently. I had two bad (collapsed) lifters and trying to do a cheap temporary fix i just bought a couple new lifters. But the cam was wiped out and even with new lifters they wouldnt spin, and I never could maintain lash. Spec was 1/2 turn past 0 lash, and I went as far as 1 3/4 turns and it still wouldnt maintain lash. To this day they dont spin and tick like hell when engines cold.

dont be cheap, do it right and replace the cam and all lifters at the same time. Its also a good idea to throw in some new pushrods and a great time for upgraded rockers...some roller tips perhaps....Just an idea.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:02 PM

But I was wanting to know about the quality of the summit lifters, not whether I should or shouldn't replace the lifters if I swap cams. My comp cam has around 20k on it and I put new push rods and everything in it then.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 83 Trans Am
Engine: LT1 350
Transmission: 5 Speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10bolt till it breaks

Originally Posted by oldred95
But I was wanting to know about the quality of the summit lifters, not whether I should or shouldn't replace the lifters if I swap cams. My comp cam has around 20k on it and I put new push rods and everything in it then.
If it means anything, I havent heard anything bad about them. usually no news is good news. As far as Summit brand parts in general it seems that most people are ok with them. Go ahead and try them out and let the rest of us know.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Supreme Member

I havent heard anything negative about them, either. I used some of the cheap no-name lifters for my last swap. They're noisy, take just short of forever to pump back up after theyre drained of oil, but I had no issues with them for over 50K miles. I did notice that the AC delcos that I bought for my current cam are different. They use a different alloy for the heel then the rest of the lifter. Its darker in color and pressed onto the lifter body. I would presume that it its harder and provides additional wear resistance over what youd get with a conventional lifter.

Im sure that if the cam is broken in right and you use the proper lubricants (no GF-4 spec stuff) theyll probably do OK.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Supreme Member

I just got the new cam and AC Delco lifters in. Man, what a difference. Theyre a lot quieter then the el-cheapo lifters. Cant even hear them. Before the lifters where clearly audible over the motor. If its not too late, Id go with the ACs.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: TPIS II Supercharged w/Nitrous
Transmission: 700R4 Probuilt
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Richmond 12 Bolt

Yeah, the A/C's aren't bad at all.. I went with Rhodes 1158XL because of the engine build that I was working on.. Way too Much $$$$ but good quality.