TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

305 to 355 TBI swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
305 to 355 TBI swap

I have a clean 89 RS that had been sitting with a weak 305 for about 8 years. Had a 355 with a Comp 262h cam and Weiand aluminum intake with Holley 670 Street Avenger carb that ran good. I swapped it into the RS and added Hooker shorty headers. I have ordered a Holley TBI intake and Holley 670cfm TBI. For now I tried to crank it with the old TBI that had been sitting for all this time. It would crank if I primed it but die as soon as that gas runs out. I went and bought a used tbi off a Caprice police car. It cranked right up and ran several minutes. The next time I tried it will crank and run about 5 seconds and die. It will do this over and over. I tried racing up the motor and it tries to run but cuts out real bad. I just found this web site and am going on some advice I read here and go get the chip from the police car along with knock sensor and try that. I just finished my 468 Olds for my 69 442 and I read realoldspower.com for months while doing that. So I was very happy to find this site. I plan on the Camaro everyday, and drive the 442 occasionally. But I still want the Camaro to get attention. I have a 4 in." Harwood hood and think the paint scheme I have chose will get plenty of attention if I can get the performance right. You guys have your work cut out for you. I am 54 years old and recently divorced so can get back to my original love CARS. I have raced chevys in dirt track and drags years ago so all this computer stuff is new to me. So I am depending on you'll. After reading on here for about a week I feel I am in good hands. I was a paint and body shop mgr. for years at a Oldsmobile dealership and didn't realize the potential they had til getting the 442. I know chevys but I know them with carbs and putting a motor in a 69 camaro or 55 Chevy and hooking up several wires and a couple of lines and drive. But I was able to get most every thing hooked up and the motor and trans in so Help Please.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 75 Beast
Engine: 383 +EBL Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.11 with 33"
Re: 305 to 355 TBI swap

'Dreamcar

Welcome to thirdgen.org.

Lets focus on your 89RS ride. In order to make a good assessment of this problem we'll need to have a bit more background information, such as:
Engine specs, compression, cam specs, etc
ECM that you have and Broadcast code,
Measured fuel pressure during cranking and when running
How did you connect Holley TBI injectors - pictures, etc

Initial gut feel based on your description is that your engine is suffering from fuel starvation, Check fuel pressure, TBI needs around 13 PSI stock. Most likely, due to age fuel pump and or in tank rubber hoses must be replaced.

I hope this helps

//RF
Old 07-22-2007, 09:36 AM

I am doing this swap on my patio so it will take a while to get all this info. But I have had my son crank it and watch the injectors and they seem to get gas as it goes dead. I have a 91 Chevy truck with 350 TBI and it looks the same, when comparing them. It is a earlier 350 with about 9.1 compression and a comps 262h cam. I bought the motor in a used car that was rusty, it ran good with a weiand aluminum intake and Holley 670 street avenger. It also had a electric pump in the tank.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 75 Beast
Engine: 383 +EBL Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.11 with 33"

'Dreamcar

Looks like your injectors are getting fuel - raw fuel delivery might be OK. Checking fuel pressure eliminates whole bunch of 'would have beens'

About your ECM - which one are you running and which BCC EPROM you have? Any EPROM alterations that you know of?

If you are running original 305 EPROM, without any modifications, you may have PW issues. To set PW correctly you will need to know engine displacement, fuel pressure and injector flow rates. Also, you are using cop car TBI with (I presume) 68 lb injectors - original factory calibration for 305 will be way off due to a larger displacement and higher flow rate injectors. All of the above can be easily fixed - read a sticky in the DIY EPROM section that covers 305 to 350 conversion!
Initial idle (post start-up) ECM uses open loop idle tables based on factory fuel tables (305)

IF you want to DIY this you'll need to invest into a lappy and ALDL cable and EPROM tools.

//RF
Old 07-22-2007, 09:42 PM

I have the 7746 with a chip from the cop car. I took out the fuel pump today and the hose at the pump was rotten. The fuel gauge was not working so I also checked it, was bad (tank sending unit) so I have to get it before I put the tank back in. Thanks guys for the input, I have a lap top so maybe with some coaching I can get the tuning done.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:14 PM

Dropped the tank, removed the pump had a hole in rubber line "rotten" car now cranks and idols fine. I am putting it back together will report how car runs out when I try to drive it.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:20 PM

The Holley 502-6 TBI I bought off of ebay just arrived. Came from Canada, I am waiting on the Holley Aluminum intake that I also bought from a ebay seller. I plan to drive the car and try and get it running good before swapping the intake and throttle body. What other modifications do you guys recommend? I have a chance to get a gear set out of a 5 speed car, but wondering if I should hold out til I can get one from Grand National or Monte Carlo SS. With the 700R what is the lowest rear gear you guys would run with this combo?