TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Another supercharged TBI thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 GMC S15
Engine: 2.5L
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Another supercharged TBI thread

I have a 2.5L iron duke engine im wanting to supercharge...

the supercharger is a Eaton M62 from a 2001 Nissan Xterra...

currently the factory TBI tb is a single injector... but plan on removing the TB.. mounting the blower... customizing the blower case to be a top inlet... and mounting a v8 TBI twin injector on it... run the map sensor to the throttle body... and have a adjustable FPR with boost port to use...

will i have problems with this setup? also, as far as a chip... what would i need for this? would i run into problems using the v8 sensors on the TB? since the tb will think its on a v8...
Old 06-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0L TBI (ebl inside)
Axle/Gears: 3.42 lsd 10 bolt
Re: Another supercharged TBI thread

Your problem will be the bottom end exploding. Iron dukes just were not meant to make lots of power without extreme expense. Even with late model s-10 blocks that are stronger, you can not make more than 135hp without running into reliability issues.

If you were serious in giving it a try, you could use all v8 electronics and you'd definately want an ebl.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:09 PM

I am serious on doing this... starting off with 6-7psi.. not looking for alot of power... just to make it a little more fun...

its in a reg cab GMC S15...

not worried about the short block... going to see when it grenades... getting 30mpg right now... and whats a EBL?

reading up on all the tuning... going to pick up the chip burner and stuff here shortly...
Old 06-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84' Monte
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: ferd 9" posi 3.50 gears

Welcome to thirdgen, you've come to the right place for TBI tech. As a newbie (at least here on thirdgen) you've come up with quite an ambitious project. We get a lot of pie in the sky ideas on this board, but your's actually sounds doable. There are a couple of key ingredients that you are missing from your plan, assuming you can physicaly bolt these pieces together.

First, the map sensor is a generic sensor that is not specific to any one engine.

Second, by taking your manifold reading from the TB you will never see boost, therefore make vaccume referencing the fuel pressure useless. Vaccume referencing the FP isn't the best solution with TBI, unless you are using the EBL system, more on this later.

Third, it's apparent that you are not fluent in DIY chip tuning. We have the ability, with free software and cheap hardware, to retune the stock GM ecm for just about any modification you can come up with except for boost. I'll expand on this later. The key with making power with TBI is in the tune, without tuning your project would never make it out of the driveway.

The EBL, this is the key to making this project work. Rbob has developed an add on board for the stock TBI 746, and 747 ecm's that allows you to run his custom code. This code has better datalogging ability, wide band support and the ability to run a map sensor that can see boost. It also has tables that allow you to tune for the boost. Trying to run boost without using the EBL will be crutch. Up untill this system came out running boost on the stock ECM was a bad idea and required the use of FMU's which are crude in comparison to what you can do with the EBL.

Your best bet would be to start doing your research on the EBL system and DIY tuning in general. Please believe me when I say that this project will never make it unless you do.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:24 PM

fabrication is the easy part... and thanks for the welcome... signed up just for the TBI tuning... not planning on bolting anything up till i do all my homework and the tuning aspect of it still puzzles me some.... I know that when it comes to forced induction... tuning is everything... ill do some searching about the EBL... sounds very interesting...