TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

How can I get a better ignition

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can I get a better ignition

A typical ignition for me goes as follows:
On cold starts I turn the key and the starter turns alot of times and then bamn! the car turns on......When the car has been running for a bit I can turn the key once and the starter turns once and the car starts up right away.......Im sorry if the explanation isnt that good.....Now what I would like to know is how can I improve my start up to turn key and start......Will a new rotor cap,plugs,and wires help?
Old 12-01-2001, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
New parts always help IF there are noticable reasons. If the dissy and rotor are too far spaced out you have lost spark energy and if the wires are old they could have a high resistance which again would waste energy.
Have you tried playing with your base timing any? If not, it's real easy. Unplug the tan wire on the passengers side, it should be haning out of the really thick wiring harness. Unplug that, start the car and then adjust the timing both ways, try and get a buddy to sit in the drivers seat and tell you the rpm AND have him put the car into gear and take it out etc (obviously with his foot on the brake pedal!!!). Hope this helps. Oh yeah...don't get the MSD stuff. A hotter(higher voltage) coil might be a good idea but even that isn't really important. HEI is already high voltage and good for any motor up to about 10:1 compression and under 400hp. Personally I don't like the cap discharge ignition systems. They're only good if you have a high compression engine. They have to fire multiple times at low engine speeds because they spark isn't as long. The thing about a standard HEI system is that the voltage actually is high enough to jump the distrib cap and rotor gap and there is a longer time under slower engine speeds for the spark to stay "jumping the gap". This is why HEI kicks butt and why I will never invest money in an MSD system.
Good luck and let us know if it was the base timing. I always like to hearing that I've helped .