TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

hard start/ idle hunting STILL!! >:(

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hard start/ idle hunting STILL!! >:(

Hey all, sorry about the long post but I'm desperate here... Any help on this is VERY much appreciated. Here's a list of the things I've done so far to try and track down the cause of these problems:
-new plugs,wires,cap/rotor,ign coil
-new O2 sensor
-rebuilt the TBI with all new gaskets/seals
-measured inlet fuel pressure, = 11.5 psi
-measured idle vacuum, = 20Hg, reasonably steady
-checked EGR, ok
-checked TPS, ok
-checked all wiring, no probs found
-swapped in another ECM, no difference
-here's where it gets weird= when I disconnect the MAP, the idle straightens out but it's still hard to start. Also without the MAP it wants to stall after a few minutes of running on its own. Could a bad or weak distributor module cause any of these symptoms? I'm almost out of ideas here... Thanx again for any replies.
Old 11-12-2001, 05:50 PM

Car: 89 RS 355/ 89 IROC Convert
Engine: Hot Cam 355/TPI 305
Transmission: All 700r4's
Quick question.....do you have the MAP vac line on the right vac. port on the TBI? Everything else looks like all you can do. Keep at it the solution is there we just have to find it for you.

Brian Felts

------------------
1989 Camaro RS

305 .030 over Hydro Pistons
Vortech heads milled to 58cc...Performer RPM intake....LT4 cam..Crane Gold rockers...FastChip custom chip...ALum. Driveshaft...3.73 gears with Posi...underdrive pullys...Rebuilt 700R4 with Vette Servo and B&M shift Kit...MSD ignition...A/C Delete No SMOG junk....1997 SS leather interior...B&M Shifter... Ultimate TBI mods...14X3 K&N open Element Non-Drop...Hooker headers....3" exhaust with Flowmaster Cross flow 16X8 Wheels from 97 RS Spohn LCA's Spohn Panhard Bar..LETS PLAY FORD!!

www.geocities.com/feltsb
Old 11-12-2001, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
2 things:
Retard timing slightly, see if that helps.
Then check to make sure at idle the cars voltage is STEADY at ~13.8v. My problem with the car missing turned out to be my stupid alternator. Darn voltage regulator was on it's way out, would go from 14 to 12 volts and scare my car into stall saver mode which is not the smoothest idles. Good luck and keep us posted, I'm sure we'll figure the problem out. Heck, fixing idle problems is the easiest since the car isn't moving
Old 11-13-2001, 03:13 PM

Hey again all. I never even thought of the alternator- I'll check that when I get home tonite. I dunno why, but I'm starting to think there's a problem with either the EST or ESC (besides the fact that I've checked everything else except for the main cap bolt torque ). Anyhow thanx for the help + we'll see what happens later...
Old 11-13-2001, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stall saver mode? Every once in a while when I start my car the idle doesn't hold steady, it goes up and down and runs pretty rough. One time, it died several times before it stayed running. When it idles ragged its never throws a code. Alternator trouble or is it something else?
Old 11-14-2001, 01:51 PM

stall-saver? what causes that mode? I already thought of the low oil-pressure kill situation, but the oil pressure shows good & doesn't even fluctuate that much. I never got a chance to check the alternator last night, but I plan on doing that tonite. If thats not it, could a failing distributor cause any of this? Seems like it might...?