TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

how safe to remove A.I.R.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 10:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how safe to remove A.I.R.

I want to make my engine bay look as nice as possible and I'm planning on getting Edelbrock or hooker headers soon. I'm seeing that they can hook up to your existing system, but i dont really feel like it. If i remove my pump, do i get a smaller serpentine belt? And if i hollow out my catty, is it going be be a noticeable change with power, and will i be paying mom and pop garages for inspection stickers???

------------------
91 Firebird .. 305 TBI .. 5 speed
-------------------------------
Check out my car please, I want her to be noticed on how nice she is...
http://members.aol.com/deadtrend1/index.html
Old 11-06-2001, 10:58 AM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 mildly modified
Transmission: 700R4 fully modified
if you remove the pump you only have to shorten the belt. You will notice a huge increase in power gains though since you won't be losing power to driving the pump, the extra belt lash, and the exhaust restriction.

I don't know anything about the NJ emissions requirements, but I know that in MA if you disconnect the AIR and gut the cat that you will definatly fail the inspection (and after new reforms you can't even pay someone or find someone to just let you "pass") MA is like the 3rd strictest state though...

If I were you, I would probably look into getting a performance catalytic converter. You may be able to get away with the deleted AIR, but if you have anyone worth their salt doing the visual inspection they'll probably notice...

------------------
1989 RS.. 355, Hypereutectic pistons, double roller cam, double roller timing chain, accel wires, blue streak cap and rotor, rapidfire plugs, chevy caprice 350 chip, 200* fan switch, 3 angle valve job, 3 inch cat-back exhaust, 3 core radiator, 3.73 gearing with POSI.
Old 11-06-2001, 11:27 AM
Supreme Member

Ok, so to shorten the belt, would that mean rerouting it around my water pump and crank, or buying a smaller one (if so what part number). Since now I got 2 1/4 stock exhaust, would it be easier to just let a place intall it all at once?
Im a total moron with major engine mods. At stereos thats a different story .. lol

------------------
91 Firebird .. 305 TBI .. 5 speed
-------------------------------
Check out my car please, I want her to be noticed on how nice she is...
http://members.aol.com/deadtrend1/index.html
Old 11-06-2001, 11:33 AM

look in the tech articles. it tells you how to reroute and it gives you the pn for the belt

------------------
92 Firebird 305 tbi 700R4, 14x3 open element with a K&N filter, 3/8" throttle body spacer, MSD blaster coil, Accel cap & wires, Bosch platnum +4, underdrive pulleys, Hypertech thermomaster chip, 160 deg thermostat
gutted cat 3" pipe, full boar muffler(3" in dual 2 1/2" out), 3.42 posi,polyurethane lower contol arm bushings, B&M street/strip shift kit, polyurethane tranny mount
Old 11-08-2001, 11:09 PM

Car: '89 TA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M5
hold up hold up... there's gonna be no "huge difference" from removing the AIR pump... not even noticable on the butt-dyno... burntblues... I'm sure you meant in conjunction with the gutted cat, but I wouldn't call it "huge." I'd say if your gonna hollow out the cat, do it right and get some sorta pipe to replace it, or put a straight pipe inside an old cat for appearances (inspection). But i wouldn't just run a broomstick through it.

Think about it... given it doesn't flow "well", at least a Cat is DESIGNED to channel air through its chambers. crushing whatever's in there will yield unpredicatable results. wiggle the stick around enough and you prolly just made half a dozen air pockets for exhaust to get caught up in.

Deadtrend: i think you need 98.6" belt if i recall correctly. Offhand guess without looking for the reciept.