TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

L05 383 STROKER plus vortec heads & summit CAM

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1993 Caprice LTZ
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: 4L60 (700R4)
Re: L05 383 STROKER plus vortec heads & summit CAM

Max...that Flex-A-Lite dual Electric fan was one of my favorite mods....big difference....
Old 10-16-2007, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 caprice / 96 caprice
Engine: 4?? bbc / lt-1
Transmission: 700r4 / 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 4.10/ 3.73

bump
Old 10-17-2007, 12:00 AM

Ok, couple of pics...

454 riser bottom, to spread bore.. good air flow, and heated to help atomize fuel and air mixture... WOT!

blades opened, throttle blades half way into riser... WOT!

454 BBC throttle body, 2" throttle blades... 800cfm!

454 fuel and coolant riser lines.. braided fuel lines

80#s, 90#s, maybe 90#s

my magazines... lol

Headman Long tubes, 1 5/8 primaries

1/4 flange

3" collectors

passenger collector for 3 wire 02 sensor placement..

just got to install them now.. hehe.. complete the dyno tune... and im done... haha finally...

Thanks again Rocko350... the box came yesterday... im very very happy...

Hey John, Im going to do a electric fan swap soon... Ive been reading that up as well... sounds like its a great mod... and im sure it will help on fuel, and keep the ac bumping...
Old 10-17-2007, 03:36 PM

ok, so ive been discussing this on the FSC thread.. FAST305 also runs a dual PCV valve setup.. Im going to do this tmrw... to help vacuum the crankcase as well...

I also made up my mind.. the 3 wire 02 is going into the passenger collector...

Old 10-19-2007, 06:22 PM

well i can score, on a new set of valve covers for a very cheap price. but the pcv and breather sizes are bigger than stock, and the oil cap isnt threaded... what do you guys think about this?

its the same as whats on summit, but a really good price..

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...1&N=700+400405

ok let me know what yall think... cause I was going to use 2 wider diameter pcv valves in each cover, and route them to the TBI... about the oil cover thats not threaded. I believe he has a push in cover with it.. everything is NEW, never used..

okay, i soaked, in degreaser, clorax, scrubbed, soaped, hot rinse, carb cleaned, wd 40, & lithium marine white greased.. here are some of the photos..

riser cleaned up - im just going to plug all the pluming holes for the lines.. as I will not use them anytime soon...

454 tbi cleaned & greased up...

hopefully everything will be installed next week, along with new exhaust... cause I think Im going to get a Maganaflow muffler, b4 the valve covers..

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...30+4294783264+

yea, this should be aggressive, very deep, and loud when i open it up...
Old 10-21-2007, 01:33 PM

I know everyone is waiting... patience is virtue...

look at what will be here this week... get ships tmrw...

here are the details, I got this thing, its been used for 300 miles... scored for 45$ shipped
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

this what he said it sounds like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i92Azi7gyhM

granted that is a smaller 5.3L stock headers, and cat... VS my 6.3L, long tubes, no cat, true 3" signle exhaust, and a good duration cam with lots of lift...

what sold me, is that its fairly quite at idle...

so the exhaust gets done at the end of this week, and well its going to take me no time to get the 454 tb on and working.. then Im going to give Alvin a call at the end of the week, and leave it there next week.. so he can have some fun...

ps, just got my drivers seat welded... TQ breaks ****!!
Old 10-24-2007, 05:02 PM

I smell the final completion of this build...

i will get err done, like tmrw or by weekend.. getting close yall!
Old 10-29-2007, 02:49 PM

aiight guys, i finally got off my ****...

the process has started... everything has gone very smoothly, what took some time is the bracket @ the alternator, to the headers on the drivers side... so I just bent the snot out of it... as its really useless... it has a front bracket for support as well, but the way i bent it, it will still be supported from the back also.

here are the pictures so far... i still have to install the headers, and then get yall a open header video... im sure yall will love that...

awesome pics thus far.. but got to take a "smoke break" when i get done ill have completed pics and video and what not... i cant believe i spent about 1/3 of the time on that bracket... thats why planing is always good to complete something in time, or allow for extra time.

install should be a sinch, if everything works well...

stock WYE pipe, small tiny pipe... unbolted from stock headers..

cat thats missing with 3" pipe - still stock pipes

stock muffler, finally gettin ready to get the hell out of there...

----------
here starts the TROUBLE... the bracket that took 1/3 of the uninstall time...

nothing a Vice Grip cant bend or fix..

aiight here is the MONEY SHOT... lol
stock VS Headman! (pass on top / driver on bottom)

I must admit, I took my time, listening to music, and i also painted another coat of black on the headers... but the job wasn't too bad at all. I still have to remove the entire exhaust, to make things easier on the install price$$

thats all folks... got to eat and light up...

Last edited by Tbi-MAX; 10-29-2007 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-29-2007, 08:12 PM

old exhaust manifold gasket test fitments on flange and bolt holes to align.

being replaced with the new fresh set...

two middle exhaust ports, like you see they all aligned up perfectly...

felpro header gasket set folded up package special...

the driver side, hardest to get off, gotten on the easiest, so thats the only side on right now..

all bolted up, with gaskets, ready...

i know 1 thing, its a MF to change that #5 cylinder with these heads..... good thing I did them 1st..

it looks mean as hell from the bottom... will get better pics tmrw.

so ALL the spark plugs got regaped to .045, down from .065... for good reason of a more violent hotter spark. the driver side is all ready, just got to work on the pass side tmrw. Im working with limited tools here, and no lift... I have my stanly set that can be pictured in some of the pics.. lol I got the exhaust unbolted from all hangers, (3) as I bent the tip and twisted/pulled it out, pretty easy. the exhaust sits on the frame now. but I have to chop it in 2/3 or 1/2 or something to get it out completely. ill pick up a sawzall tmrw... and straighten that drivers accessory bracket as well. should be finish pretty early on the exhaust tmrw... ill take some video after..

but it looks to be another long day, solder up some wires to the harness i have for my IAC, and TPS on the BBC tb... then extend my 02 sensor 3 wires, with some solder and good wire-loom. got to get a rebuild kit for a 454 tb, then I got to rebuild the BBC tb with new 90#s, but after that i got to spray the riser silver, adjust fuel pressure... im also going to re-wire-loom all the wires on everything as they are dry and brittle and break easy... going to wire-loom the spark plugs as well...

then i got to hook up the tb riser, with rubber lines, etc, then put a new tstat housing or cap on... then i got to drain the water out the radiator and put some coolant, as the temp is dropping...

but its progress, as I drop it off to the dyno for the re-tune...

Last edited by Tbi-MAX; 10-29-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 402 Likes on 344 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

Originally Posted by Tbi-MAX

all bolted up, with gaskets, ready...

i know 1 thing, its a MF to change that #5 cylinder with these heads..... good thing I did them 1st..
Kobalt makes a nice set of sockets that are hollow, the extension is hollow and the ratchet handle has a hollow opening. The socket is only about 1/2" wide, it will slip right over the end of the plug, then the ratchet slips on too. It is less than 1" wide when setup. Works great for changing out the plugs on my Van. Doug Thorley Tri-Ys on a van are a pain in the rear to change the plugs, especially the tighter passenger side bank. The nightmare on the passenger side is painfully obvious.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...398&lpage=none

I would also get ahold of a wire loom kit. Spectre markets one through Autozone that is less than $30.00. Bolts over the valve covers and directs your plug wires neatly along side. The way you have them zip-tied togather, is a good way to induce crossfire under higher loading, especially on cylinders 5 and 7 in a SBC.

Last edited by Fast355; 10-29-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Fast355
Kobalt makes a nice set of sockets that are hollow, the extension is hollow and the ratchet handle has a hollow opening. The socket is only about 1/2" wide, it will slip right over the end of the plug, then the ratchet slips on too. It is less than 1" wide when setup. Works great for changing out the plugs on my Van. Doug Thorley Tri-Ys on a van are a pain in the rear to change the plugs, especially the tighter passenger side bank. The nightmare on the passenger side is painfully obvious.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...398&lpage=none

I would also get ahold of a wire loom kit. Spectre markets one through Autozone that is less than $30.00. Bolts over the valve covers and directs your plug wires neatly along side. The way you have them zip-tied togather, is a good way to induce crossfire under higher loading, especially on cylinders 5 and 7 in a SBC.
thanks Fast355, ill check into those special sockets... tools are key.. if i had a sawzall, both header would be on now... i just couldnt fit the pass side with the stock wye still in the way... buy yeah, the middle plugs on my headers are tight to switch plugs... but that tool will slip in there easy, where my stanley couldnt.

I will also check the zone for that spectre wire loom for the plug wires. i had plan on changing them also, when i exchange them for a new set, when i exchange the 02 for a new 1 tmrw too... i can also route them better.. thanks for the tip on crossfire uner load...

the plugs look great granted they have about 4-5K on them.. everything in all cylinders look great. but i really need a set of valve covers on the driver side.. i put some sealant on the manifold in between the cover, and it has been almost none existent compared to b4... but i got to get those valve covers and do the dual pcv setup.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:18 PM

Your almost done Max! Take your time!

What's up with the dual PCV valves you are talking about? What benefits does it provide to have two?

JB
Old 10-30-2007, 07:22 PM

here is the entire stock restricted exhaust system...

stock muffler 250cfm...

driver side header top

driver side header bottom

passenger side header top

passenger side header bottom

the new pipes will have a more free flowing wye, all customed, and single 3" pipes all the way back... both headers are full installed, the passenger side was a bear... as these headers are not specifically for my truck, but the 95 down pickups c/k...

i had to remove the ac lines, oil dip stick, bend the heat core metal line slightly, and still had to force it in place some.. it was beyond tight.. the headers are well seated, and sealed, doesn't sound like any audible or visible leaks... these manifold gaskets are great...

i installed a new stock tstat housing, new clamps, to stop my little leak and the old aftermarket neck. painted the heated riser solid black, and will hook that up when i do a coolant flush tmrw...

i have to process the video with the open headers....
----------
Originally Posted by JohnBlazeLTZ
Your almost done Max! Take your time!

What's up with the dual PCV valves you are talking about? What benefits does it provide to have two?

JB
yea, i have to get some vacuum hoses a T and 2 pcv valves tmrw... the dual pcv valves help clear the crankcase vacuum. this just help the system, and can allow for more power to be made... Fast355 can explain it better.. but its good to have on a high compression engine.

Last edited by Tbi-MAX; 10-30-2007 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-30-2007, 07:25 PM

"Your almost done Max! Take your time!"

The man has a point, don't accidentally jam the Sawzall blade into the gas tank and burn that bad *** truck to the ground (at least until we can all see how much its making on the dyno).

Seriously, thanks for taking the time to document this build up, I'm new to EFI and I've learned a lot by following your progress.

Paul T.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:49 PM

the camera does it NO justice... as the frequencies are so deep for the camera to capture... it shook the entire complex, the little kids were scared, and said thank you when i shut if off...

i didnt think it would be that deep and low, with just headers, sounded like music, the engine is very muscle sound... a few people was looking like thats a burban???

Last edited by Tbi-MAX; 10-31-2007 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by titchener
"Your almost done Max! Take your time!"

The man has a point, don't accidentally jam the Sawzall blade into the gas tank and burn that bad *** truck to the ground (at least until we can all see how much its making on the dyno).

Seriously, thanks for taking the time to document this build up, I'm new to EFI and I've learned a lot by following your progress.

Paul T.
yea thanks man, i was carefull with the sawzall to cut away from the tank or any lines.. lol i should get the exhaust done either today or tmrw... got to drain the cooling system and refill wiith coolant today, check my 02 wire length, as it may not need to lengthen... install the bbc 454 riser, and wire up the bbc unit after i rebuild it... but im going to schedule the dyno appt 1st..
Old 10-31-2007, 12:38 PM

Max...as far as the headers go...did you have any emissions air tubes from an air pump on the stock exhaust manifolds? I am just curious if you had any A.I.R. injection equipment you had to delete to add the headers. My Caprice has A.I.R. tubes fitted into my stock exhaust manifolds and I am wondering if yours did too.

JB
Old 10-31-2007, 02:26 PM

Max...as far as the headers go...did you have any emissions air tubes from an air pump on the stock exhaust manifolds? I am just curious if you had any A.I.R. injection equipment you had to delete to add the headers. My Caprice has A.I.R. tubes fitted into my stock exhaust manifolds and I am wondering if yours did too.

JB
No air tubes were on my 95... im glad thank god! talk about how tuff and tight these were to get in the passenger side is amazing... ground straps removed, ac lines removed, dipstick removed, heater core pipes bended and still had to force them past the heater core lines... but just enuff to scratch a little paint off... it was alot of clearance to be done..

i got the water out the radiator this morning, and refilled it with coolant, flushed the radiator & overfill tank 2 good times, with clean water 1st.. then refilled with 50/50 mix.

the leaking tstat housing was replaced with a new stock gm unit for my truck, and magically no more leaks at all...

I have the riser, and BBC tb, getting those ready, as i have the rebuild stuff for that, and got a little paint on it. im going to wire in the riser and tb wires soon..

all my gaskets for the rebuild..

and the cleaned up riser and tb unit... just was test fitting...

ill get started on that once i do the exhaust, cause i want some video of the new exhuast 1st... hehe
Old 10-31-2007, 02:38 PM

Max how much was the TB rebuild kit? Where did you get it from?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:00 PM

Max how much was the TB rebuild kit? Where did you get it from?
well they tried to tell me everywhere they dont sell rebuild kits, so i went to napa where i got my old 350 rebuild kit, and asked them for a 89 454 burban rebuild kit.. they said no, and tried to sell me some kit for 75$...

i told them hell no, and to look up a rebuild kit for a 95 chevy, they found it in stock for 32$.... then i told them to go back to the 454 burban, and sell me the gasket for the tb to intake & tb to riser... so all together like 42$

these people at the parts store only know what the computer tells them, so you must no how to manipulate them as well..

napa is your best bet... the part number is: 2-1752
Old 10-31-2007, 03:03 PM

Is that about the same price as your 350 rebuild was?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:09 PM

Is that about the same price as your 350 rebuild was?
yea same price as the 350, cause its the same thing, thats why i bought the 350 rebuild kit, and just the 2 separate gaskets for the 454 riser...
----------
getting ready to spray the headers with some great black paint i got, that i tested, and it dont seem to burn off or smoke like the others.. after than im going to remove the roof rack, and start the debadging process...

Last edited by Tbi-MAX; 10-31-2007 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-03-2007, 11:24 AM

well i couldnt get the 1st exhaust shop to do it, without a cat. he said if he knew me he would, my other guy will do it, but 15 miles away.. and the truck is gutless with open headers... no bottom end. so i decided to gut the cat, and take it up there, see if he does it for me. cause we did have a long talk, and he technically said what he could and couldnt do...

my stock cat is also 3" si/so which will work fine, and i can still put the 02 bung in the pass collector.

i will put my cat and muffler, in stock locations.. so they cant b!tch... and i wont have to worry about the cat failing or rattling, or smelling, none of the BS that comes with a cat... plus ill always pass a visual if i get hassle..

stock cat, plugged and rattle snake..

honey comb crap

pile of the honey comb crap

honey comb closeup

in & out gutted/better than ANY high flow cat...
1000+ cfm

compared to the b4 and after, i couldnt see anything b4.. it was like a black hole.. now i can see everything inside.. just the casing shell...
Old 11-03-2007, 08:01 PM

Car: 2000 xtreme
Engine: 4.3L

i cleaned out the cat on my thirdgen but it gave it a kinda hollow sound at the cat and that was very annoying so i replaced it with a pipe hope you dont have that problem good job on the truck im getting ready to start something similar with my 1989 3/4 ton gmc 4x4
Old 11-04-2007, 08:33 AM

Max...

Dude...there are high flow cats that are SUPPOSED to flow as good as if they aren't there. Just so you know. I have also seen where guys have rigged cut outs to by pass the cat but that is like running open headers.

The thing that I have seen a lot of Impala SS guys do is where they make it where the Cats can just be unbolted with ball-style exhaust fittings on each side of the Cat and then use another straight exhaust pipe with ball fittings on each end...so they can be swapped back and forth.

I know what you mean about exhaust shops not wanting to do the work. I have gone to many places and no one would do true duals on my 1993 Cappy because it didn't come with dual exhaust. It only came with a single out. I did find one shop where I can talk to the workers and not the owner and they would do it but I would have to bring it in with the trans member cut out to allow the drivers side exhaust to pass. In stock form...the trans member isn't notched on the 1991-1993 Caprices. Actually...the funny thing is that the Caprice was designed to allow true duals but true duals didn't get put into effect until the 1994-1996 years. So duals can be hooked up pretty easy but the trans member needs to be modified. I got a guy that modified one for himself but he got rid of the car. He sent me the mod'd cross member for ....get this...35 bucks! Sweet deal huh? Its been reinforced with steel and it is solid. Other guys have used a tubular trans-X-member and apparently it folds up like a wet noodle under heard acceleration. The mod'd stock x-member...although not any where near as pretty...is stronger because its made out of steel and the notched area was reinforced with welded steel. Welds are generally stronger than the original steel so it should hold up under hard use.

Are you running an air pump at all? I mean...without the cats honeycomb...its not retaining the excess gas fumes and they are going to cause the exhaust to be rich....meaning there is going to be a lot more unburnt fuel. The cat is designed to hold the excess gas fumes in the exhaust and they are supposed to be combined with air from the A.I.R. injection system and then get burned off in the Cat. Without the cat...the excess is not getting burned off and it will cause you to have higher tailpipe emissions. I don't think you have emissions do you?

Anyway...when I deleted my air pump...I thought I was being really smart. Well...then the excess fuel wasn't getting burned up in the cat...then I melted the cat and it got plugged. I failed emissions and had to spend a few hundred bucks changing everything back. Big waste of money and energy. That's just my experience...take what you can from it.

JB

P.S.
Glad you are getting all the drive-abilty things squared away!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by icemanohio69
i cleaned out the cat on my thirdgen but it gave it a kinda hollow sound at the cat and that was very annoying so i replaced it with a pipe hope you dont have that problem good job on the truck im getting ready to start something similar with my 1989 3/4 ton gmc 4x4
my pipes are so long, and the muffler is so long 24" i dont think it will have a hollow sound... also im getting my other guy to not even use the cat, as im limited on space, just trying to make it flow more freely... and less bends...
Old 11-05-2007, 09:48 AM

Max...

Dude...there are high flow cats that are SUPPOSED to flow as good as if they aren't there. Just so you know. I have also seen where guys have rigged cut outs to by pass the cat but that is like running open headers.

The thing that I have seen a lot of Impala SS guys do is where they make it where the Cats can just be unbolted with ball-style exhaust fittings on each side of the Cat and then use another straight exhaust pipe with ball fittings on each end...so they can be swapped back and forth.

Are you running an air pump at all? I mean...without the cats honeycomb...its not retaining the excess gas fumes and they are going to cause the exhaust to be rich....meaning there is going to be a lot more unburnt fuel. The cat is designed to hold the excess gas fumes in the exhaust and they are supposed to be combined with air from the A.I.R. injection system and then get burned off in the Cat. Without the cat...the excess is not getting burned off and it will cause you to have higher tailpipe emissions. I don't think you have emissions do you?

JB

P.S.
Glad you are getting all the drive-abilty things squared away!!!

yea, i don't like cutout, too loud for me, and no back pressure, or bottom end.. i guess i could make the cat unbolt, and replace with pipe, but it just introduces more places to have and exhaust leak...

i dont have a air pump system, never did on my truck.. im glad too.. my stock exhaust just had a cat and a muffler, thats it... everything in the pics above is how it was. without a cat, yes the exhaust stinks, if you hold your hand to it, then your hand smells like unburnt gas a few hrs later... comes with the territory of have no cats... its just normal to those guys.. as long as no little kids are playing around the tail pipe.. like i said you don't notice it unless your playing at the pipe...

i don't have any emissions at all, maybe a visual test or something.. but last inspection i got my sticker so quickly it wasn't funny.. plus its a lot of shade tree inspection stations..

okay here are the new exhaust plans...

Headman LT headers 3" collectors > to 2.5" reducer to 2.5" pipes (WYE) > into single 3" main pipe > hollowed cat 3" si/so > to 3" main pipe > to 3" si/so magnaflow muffler > to 3" main pipe out to exit behind passenger side tire..

so b4 the single 3" main, im using 2.5" pipe with bends less than 45* turns, no 90* angles.. to help with free flowing exhaust..

by deciding to do this, the outcome will be incredible low end - mid and even upper power... as i need as much low end as possible and mid... the 2.5s to 3" will be perfect for what i want to do... i had really great advice from a good friend who knows his shh!t with exhaust setups...

also i dont have to extend my 02 sensor wires, as the collector brought it even closer to the harness.... sweet, its so much room, you cant even tell i have longtubes from the bottom of the truck, looking at the sides..

im also schedule for appointment tmrw... but if the cat cant fit, forget it.. but i was still thinking of a cat to muffle the sound.. cause here are some numbers... yes it will be loud, but not too loud im hoping.. lol

stock at idle is about 75 db and WOT is about 85 db.......something like that....with the setup...you are probably looking at about 85db idle and 98 WOT

----------
also just wanted to say, i have debadged the entire truck, chrome lips at wheel wells, side markers, back decals, roof rack, etc.. it looks awesome, i should have done that along time ago.. im going to lift the front 2" next week to level it off, then add 4" spindles around xmas, for an overall 6" of lift... then i get to pickout some AT tires that look beastly...

Last edited by Tbi-MAX; 11-05-2007 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-10-2007, 05:14 PM

big burb... my tint looks alot darker than this for some reason... good camera

front

yes im sporting a debadge and no roof rack...

ohh yea, my good painted headman headers...

but i expected that... i think they look better with out paint anyway..

ok here starts the exhaust..........

3" main run, all the way to the pass behind the rear tire...

the sleeper stock look i wanted...

my WYE pipe, customed...

closeup of WYE

crossover to driver collector...

passenger collector, and 02 placement...

as you can see everything is tuck high as hell, & cant be seen from the sides...

collector bolts were also tack welded, to insure it will never unloosen!

thats about all the pics i took, took em really really quick too.. lol
Old 11-10-2007, 07:16 PM

My Little Drummer Boy Video

i guess its time for the re-dyno and installation of the BBC tb...
Old 11-11-2007, 08:23 AM

okay, i wasnt going to post this 1.. but its specially requested... 88fastgta this is for you man...

Old 11-12-2007, 08:12 AM

is it just me or is TGO very slow lately??

anyways, im working on getting to the dyno this week... I also have some more video... I will also be looking to purchase some tunning stuff around xmas... I will also have the .bin file for my tune... ill tweak it with the Ostrich...

anyways here is some video...

3 separate stalls, 1 video...

had it fixed in about 3 mins...

the culprit...

the cleaned IAC with pin fully closed and spring compressed...

works like a charm... the new video... good idle..

interior revs.. just a lil bit..

let me know what yall think...
Old 11-14-2007, 02:18 PM

i need wire diagrams for the BBC IAC & TPS wiring so i can solder up to the SBC wiring.. i dont think the colors are visible on the wiring i have now, so im getting ready to pull the gourmets, and see what i got below it.. I already have the harness ends that plugs into the BBC tb.. so I just need to make a connection to the wires...
Old 11-14-2007, 03:57 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck on wireing the 7.4L IAC. I was able to get it to respond to steps but it would never seat at zero steps as commanded and apparently was not following by .bin. I receive several recommendations on crossfire forum and this one but it never was right. I tried just about every combo I could muster. IAC is new and ohms out and I am getting the Volts as expected from the ECU. I finally gave up and plugged the IAC channel and disconnected it. I did not really miss it in warm weather. I had planned on researching it further this summer but time is running out. I have a former crossfire vette so stock wire harness is a bit differrent as is my GM 7.4L TBI IAC harness. I run a 8746 ECU(F body). Eagerly awaiting any advise here.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ronny
Good luck on wireing the 7.4L IAC. I was able to get it to respond to steps but it would never seat at zero steps as commanded and apparently was not following by .bin. I receive several recommendations on crossfire forum and this one but it never was right. I tried just about every combo I could muster. IAC is new and ohms out and I am getting the Volts as expected from the ECU. I finally gave up and plugged the IAC channel and disconnected it. I did not really miss it in warm weather. I had planned on researching it further this summer but time is running out. I have a former crossfire vette so stock wire harness is a bit differrent as is my GM 7.4L TBI IAC harness. I run a 8746 ECU(F body). Eagerly awaiting any advise here.
yea appreciate it.. im going to wire it up on Sun.. then get the re-dyno completed early next week.. that is strange about your IAC, nobody on here could help you? sounds like some wiring issues.. or a IAC with its own mind... i run the newer PCM 95 so i should be okay.. the donor is a 89 454 TBI.. so im sure it will handle it ok.. ill post results.. and video of it running afterwards when i get back into town..

ANYONE KNOW OR HAVE a link to these diagrams? or color codes? i will research some more when i get back, as i plan on doing the swap and rebuilding the TB in about 2 days..
Old 11-18-2007, 06:35 PM

i guess this thread is like a diary or something.... talking to myself...

i did the BBC to SBC toady... rebuilt the BBC tb with all new gaskets, etc, new 91 454 injectors... it went easy as expected.. bolted it up to the intake manifold, soldered up the TPS and connected the IAC.. made sure of no leaks or drips... while in ON position.. everything was fine.. started right up... the TPS works great as it revs, and have no codes... the IAC moved, but it revs high @ 2K rpm.. so i have to research that some more tonight.. thats why i didn't solder it like the TPS. i changed my base timing for 25* down to 6* cause i want it this way on the retune... it even idles better and everything.. idle now was 800 rpm... its starts pretty quick on 6* also... it runs rich still, but no where near as much.. im towing it to the dyno with a 96 burban.. so im just waiting on Alvin...

IMO a 800 SBC rpm idle VS 800 rpm BBC idle is night/day difference... it is loud as hell, it LITERALLY sound like a BBC... ITS amazing... the AFPR is also all the way on minimum... the injectors spray heavily, and wide streamed..

anyone have a IAC spec for 89 TBI to 95? the color are different, but i hooked it up as ABCD... i need to find whats what, if the letter cross or whatever..

i know its alot of help on here, I NEED HELP!

ps* i dont have my camera, so i cant take any video.. but OMG!
Old 11-19-2007, 10:03 AM
TGO Supporter

Maybe someone could post whether the GM harnesses have any uniformity for TBI-IAC. My 1995 TBI unit is on a 1984 Vette. Old IAC from the Crossfire is "labled" 1-2-3-4 straight accross and the 1995 unit is a square A-
B-C-D. I took all suggestions on Crossfire Forum and same on here and nothing worked. Cold start is at 1200 rpms but then it rises somewhat just opposite of what it should. As I said I am running without and honestly dont miss it. I think the throttle follower might be injecting fuel however(i can see on WB?) but no IAC as disconnected. I dont think it is a big deal but I dont run car in cold weather.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:08 AM

Maybe someone could post whether the GM harnesses have any uniformity for TBI-IAC. My 1995 TBI unit is on a 1984 Vette. Old IAC from the Crossfire is "labled" 1-2-3-4 straight accross and the 1995 unit is a square A-
B-C-D. I took all suggestions on Crossfire Forum and same on here and nothing worked. Cold start is at 1200 rpms but then it rises somewhat just opposite of what it should. As I said I am running without and honestly dont miss it. I think the throttle follower might be injecting fuel however(i can see on WB?) but no IAC as disconnected. I dont think it is a big deal but I dont run car in cold weather.
its cold here, and i want everything with the IAC working well.. my 95 TBI SBC has that same square plug, ABCD...
A=blue /white stripe
B=blue /black stripe
C=green /white stripe
D=green / black stripe

but the BBC IAC harness has a totally different color code, and its also labeled ABCD... its from 1989...

it sounds like your problem is that the wires are swaped somehow, as its doing the opposite to what is comanded..
Old 11-19-2007, 10:29 AM
TGO Supporter

Yup. That is the problem. I was going to to get voltage on a cold start from ECU(100 steps) for all 4 leads and then same on a fully warmed engine (0 steps) and possibly use that info somehow(?)to determine which wires from ECU do what? If I could provide 5V to IAC I might be able to sort this out. Do not apply 12 volt. I do have the pin sequence for my ECU known as well but dont know what each pin is supposed to do at IAC. maybe someone here can help us.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:00 PM

Yup. That is the problem. I was going to to get voltage on a cold start from ECU(100 steps) for all 4 leads and then same on a fully warmed engine (0 steps) and possibly use that info somehow(?)to determine which wires from ECU do what? If I could provide 5V to IAC I might be able to sort this out. Do not apply 12 volt. I do have the pin sequence for my ECU known as well but dont know what each pin is supposed to do at IAC. maybe someone here can help us.

i wish you luck...

i got mine all wired up and working properly, cold start its around 1200 rpm, then it steps down pretty quick to like 11, 1000, then 900... im sure it will step down to 850 or whatever when its fully warm.. but i didnt run it too long as its rich. so yea, i need tuning now... everything on the BBC works fine for me with my 7427 pcm... the wiring took some time to figure out, but basically i wired it like you would wire a holley tbi.. the pcm controls the IAC great.. for the tables not being set yet..

i finally got my ignition cylinder replaced with a new unit, so i can start the truck now.. i talked with Alvin today, he is ready to get me back up there, and tweak the list of things

180* tstat
3" exhaust with LT headers
454 bbc tb
85# injectors
6* base timing from 25*
.045* gap from .065

so he will be able to set everything perfect for me he said, ill have the Alvin.bin afterwards, so when i get the Ostrich around xmas, i can install a MAT sensor, and tune that in...

hope your BBC tb work out for you...
Old 12-03-2007, 04:10 PM

454 BBC tb WOT...

open element... my guess is more than 1000cfm!

should be more than enough for the BBC tb... it has lots of surface area..

how everything sits now... but will all change soon...

air cleaner getting painted black.. and my new tall black valve covers will dress things up well... should have the updated pics later this week...

im going to install some black tall valve covers this week, and im going to paint the air cleaner black.. so far i got the BBC tb wired and working properly, the heated riser is also hooked up, i set up a dual pcv setup as well... the base timing is set precisely @ 6*.. 180* tstat is installed as well, and my plugs are gapped @ .045...

it idle @ 800 rpms with the ECU wire unplugged.. got to get to the dyno this week, just waiting to install my new valve covers 1st..

Last edited by Tbi-MAX; 12-04-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:39 PM

just redid some things today... tweaked the fp a little bit... and made sure everything under the hood was set right for the dyno... i also found my oil leak from the drivers side cover... it wasnt the cover to begin with... it was a threaded hole on the driver side of the intake manifold...

the leak i thought was my driver side cover.. that had the spray pattern...

driver side of the stroker

front side of the stroker

passenger side of the stroker

454 BBC throttle body, and heated riser

454 BBC throttle body, and heated riser

open element opened
Old 12-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 178 Likes on 155 Posts

Oh my goodness, I just went through all nine pages. Awesome build man, I really appreciated the whole documented process. Now, get that thing on the dyno, me wanna see some numbers....!!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
Oh my goodness, I just went through all nine pages. Awesome build man, I really appreciated the whole documented process. Now, get that thing on the dyno, me wanna see some numbers....!!!!
thanks, well Alvin said Tue of next week... so ill be waiting till then.. but everything is ready.. its a lil rough & loud, but i guess thats expected cause its rich from the BBC tb.. i have to change the oil, and plug that hole on my intake..

but i should have it back by the end of next week, ill keep yall posted.. i dont know what to expect.. but im guessing near 400ftlbs to the ground.. hp considerably less... not sure... just guessing, and from what ive been reading etc..
Old 12-08-2007, 12:55 AM

the new arrival is here...

got all the stuff to setup the dual pcv... ill install them this weekend.. dyno on TUE.. but here is what i got from desktop dynos...

385hp/410tq

343hp/421tq

both dynos were done by 2 different people who know their stuff with the software... i was told to expect 18-22% loss in the drivetrain...
Old 12-10-2007, 07:22 PM

well its gets droped off tmrw...

this is what it looks like as of today...

Last edited by Tbi-MAX; 12-11-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:40 PM

your very last picture shows a breather instead of an oil cap like the two pictures above it. having the breather on the same side as the(one of) pcv valves is a major vacuum leak!
Old 12-12-2007, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by rocko350
your very last picture shows a breather instead of an oil cap like the two pictures above it. having the breather on the same side as the(one of) pcv valves is a major vacuum leak!
my plan was for a dual pcv valve setup, like Fast305 and Oldred have done... they both have a pcv in each cover, with no breather or source of clean/fresh air...

when i tried that, it felt like my engine was about to suck itself inwards.. and when i pull 1 pcv, it would run 100x better.. so i figure it just need a source of clean air..

that is what i was asking on FSC... 2 pcvs in 1 cover is better than 1 in each cover?

i put the breather where the oil filler cap was (no baffle)... cause without a breather in the system, it felt like it was fighting each other, and searching for air, the intake manifold was almost about to vent without a breather...

so should i just run the breather on the driver side cover?

it runs best how its setup now, believe it or not... its actually smooth as silk...

what do you suggest?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:56 PM

well i finally got the BBC tb working flawlessly! the truck is ready for the dyno, im going to tow it up there, or baby it the 10 miles.. not sure. but it idles all day long now, and everything is a go for the dyno..

its getting lifted 4" more after the dyno...
Old 12-12-2007, 05:47 PM

keep the pcv in the drivers cover and delete the one in the passenger side. it will work just as it did from the factory. they had specific issues they were solving by doing it that way such as improving ring seal on an engine at low rpm which increases torque . they also probably were not drawing as much idle vacuum as you are(more aggressive cams)good luck on the dyno. am very anxious to see your results
Old 12-12-2007, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by rocko350
keep the pcv in the drivers cover and delete the one in the passenger side. it will work just as it did from the factory. they had specific issues they were solving by doing it that way such as improving ring seal on an engine at low rpm which increases torque . they also probably were not drawing as much idle vacuum as you are(more aggressive cams)good luck on the dyno. am very anxious to see your results
thanks Chris. yea, i cant wait to see results as well.. im going to switch the valve covers around tomorrow.. great info right there, i was really confused before that bit of info.

Quick Reply: L05 383 STROKER plus vortec heads & summit CAM