TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Running Non-Drop air cleaner w/ 1" Spacer in stock hood Within

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running Non-Drop air cleaner w/ 1" Spacer in stock hood Within

If this is common knowledge, I apologise. If it helps someone, I am glad
I recently did the ultimate TBI Mods for a friend of a friend who had the edelbrock Pro-Flow Air Cleaner. It is basically a non-drop air cleaner. Using the ring spacer with a portion removed to allow it to fit flush with the taller lip of the injector spacer, the Pro-Flow raised the rear of the hood up while the hood barely latched.
In order to fix this, I cut the ring spacer down with a pair of metal cutters, so that the lip (where the cleaner meets the ring) so that it was now even with the spacer, at 1/4". I removed the portion completely that was over the spacer.
The end result was a ring that was 1/4" taller than the throttle body, and was flush with the 1/4" spacer, still sealing the openings. There are now no clearance problems.
I am going to make moldings for the spacers I make out of $6 of Walmart cutting board, as it appears I have another set of Ultimate TBI Mods to go when my friend buys an 88 Camaro.
If anyone has any questions please feel free to email me or check out my site.

Yours truly,
Clint

------------------
Flowmaster 80 series muffler
no Air/Cat, straight pipe
no smog pump/pulley
K&N Open Element cleaner
Ultimate TBI Mods
1" TBI Spacer .25" Injector Spacer
Homemade Subframe Connectors
GM Wonderbar
lead pedal foot . See my project rocket turtle @
http://oursportscars.homestead.com/firebird.html
Member of Tidewater Trans Am Club
www.ttac.net
Old 08-30-2001, 05:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2002 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23
I have a 14x3 flat based K&N open element, the lid hits the hood but it still latches. The original spacer ring is off. If i added a TBI spacer, would it also raise the air cleaner, i dont know exactly where it goes because i have yet to do the Ultimate TBI mods. Probably gonna do them this weekend with the headers and cat. is there Any way i can put in a TBI spacer (either .25 or .5 inch) and still have hood clearance.
THANKS
Old 08-31-2001, 06:19 AM

You do not have a spacer, and you do not have the ring between your TB and your air cleaner, and you are still hitting the hood??
Are you running a different, taller intake manifold?

Adding a .25" or .5" spacer to that setup will be even more of a problem. I run a 1" spacer, and use the spacer ring with a drop-based air cleaner and do not have much in the way of problems.

Without looking at your car, it would be difficult to tell. Look at your hood insulation, and if there is a large imprint of your air cleaner on it with a hole in the middle where the wingnut and or screw is, I would say forget about it, or get a cowl induction scoop from someplace like jegs.
If there is no imprint, I am sure you could get away with a 1/4" atleast.
One more option would be to go get a $20 drop-base air cleaner. <- Edit

Clint

[This message has been edited by 91Firecrow305TBI (edited August 31, 2001).]
Old 08-31-2001, 10:38 AM

Car: 91 RS Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
I'm a tad confused here.

I want to go the open element route as well, but have not done so as of yet.

At this point all I have really confirmed is that I have to get a 14" airfilter. Some people say a 3" tall filter will fit while others say a 2.5" tall will fit.

I've heard that you can't fit a drop down air cleaner on a stock TBI because something comes in contact somewhere, adding a spacer would raise it up and a drop down cleaner would then fit (I guess).

Would a TBI spacer give any performance gains on a stock 305?

Can some provide a parts list for the following set-up please?

I'd like to get a spacer and a open element and fit it all under the hood. How tall of a filter could I use??

I really don't want to spend the money on a flat aircleaner now just to find out I need a drop down unit.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-31-2001, 01:54 PM

sunbitz...I did this mod and it is really easy. Get a 14x3 K&N filter and any non-drop air cleaner housing (I used MR. Gasket). Yank the stock single snorkel and the gold ring on the TB. Drill a hole for the IAT sensor and mount it securely on the new base. Plug the line that went to the Thermac sensor (the butter-fly valve on the old air cleaner). Put everything together, and the hood will shut just fine...it did on my car anyway. Or you could order a Ram Air Kit from www.ramairbox.com. It uses your new open filter, but plumbs cold air from the stock snorkel locations with a dual high flow snorkels. If your interested, do a search under TBI for my name, and Ram Air Box.
Old 08-31-2001, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
I'm running an Edelbrock vortec RPM intake manifold with a 1" adaptor plate for my Holley 2" TB unit. There is no hood clearance. I had to remove the insolation and some underbracing while jacking up the hood on all 4 corners by about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I can't afford a cowl hood yet so I'm running an edelbrock $20 proflow air cleaner BUT the cleaner needed some modifing to stay on and clear the injectors (too high). All in all I'm happy for now but let this be warning to all of you that want to install an RPM intake AND spacer.

------------------
, Jon (350 TBI!)
91 Red My website
Old 08-31-2001, 10:50 PM

alright,i'm even more confused now. All i want is a open element,is that too much too ask I'm thinking of buying the edelbrock one. 22 bucks from summit. Can i just yank the 'ol single snorkel out, and plop this thing in? Easily?

And, could i get a TBI spacer,and use the stock intake?
Old 09-02-2001, 11:05 PM

In order to run the stock hood, stock intake manifold, an Edelbrock Pro-Flow air cleaner, and a spacer, you would have to not run the spacer ring.
However, if you want to run both the TBI spacer and the Injector spacer, you would have to trim the spacer ring down so that the lip that the air cleaner sits on is even with the Injector Spacer. This way it still seals, and you have some clearance.
I am running a stock manifold, 1" spacer, Injector spacer, spacer ring, and a 14x3 K&N. The wingnut has put a dent into my hood. I do not really care, because I am going to replace the fake shaker scoop on my car with a cowl induction scoop, and cut a hole in the hood, so that I can run an edelbrock Performer Vortec Intake, an adapter plate, the spacers, and a N.O.S. Fogger system, all below the TBI and 14x3 air cleaner. I do not look forward to setting the idle
BTW JPrevost, you may want to check out Jegs. Look for Harwood scoops. I got mine pretty decently. Double Side tape, rivets, and bondo should do the trick. The fiberglass is good quality.

[This message has been edited by 91BanditII305TBI (edited September 02, 2001).]