TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Truck TBI future fun & games

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '90 GMC C1500 R/C Step
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 8.5" 10 bolt and 2.73 :(
Truck TBI future fun & games

So I've been reading the TBI and DIY PROM boards for a few weeks now, trying do digest everything out there.

I have a '90 C1500 (5.7L), and I would like some more power come rebuild time - I don't want to spend a fortune, this is just my truck.

I already have some 1 5/8" "mid-length" wysco ceramic headers, and 2 1/2" exhaust going to a Y-pipe, then 3" to a Magnaflow 5x11 3" I/O muffler.

When rebuild time comes, I'd like to add some stuff, but keeping the 193 heads and stock intake to keep costs down. I've heard the stock TBI intake is a pretty good piece up to 4500 rpm.

The engine will never see more than 5000 rpm, with the majority of it's time spent from 1500 to 3000 rpm. I am shooting for 250-275hp here.

Open Element air cleaner (mostly for cosmetic)
LT4 Cam + roller lifters (perhaps a used LT1 cam, they are cheap used?)
TPI Fuel Pump
FederalMogul H423NP pistons (should give me 9.0:1 depending on how far down they are in the hole - my quench will suck though, probably around 0.080")
Ultimate TBI mods
Pertronix or MSD HEI Coil and module (which brand, and are they worth it??)
I'd also like to fab up a dual 14" electric fan setup, and make my own shroud.
I'd like to do a mild port job on the heads, and gasket match the intake. I'm no machinist, but I'm fairly capable with my hands, so I believe this is within my abilities.
Valve springs with pressures similar to LT4 springs.

Now for the questions -

I have a 7747 ECM. I also have access to a 93-95 TBI Truck PCM. I've read Fast355's thread here https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/...light=PCM+swap,

and

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/atta...-x-over-01.gif

Re-pinning makes a few more questions pop up - I do need the connectors from the 7427 right?

The PCM questions keep coming too -

I'm using a 700R4 instead of a 4L60E. What is required to make the 93-95 PCM happy?

I understand that I need a knock sensor from a 93-95 as well, correct?

I have no IAT sensor. After swapping, I would assume I need one? Does it matter where I put it - I was thinking in the base of the air cleaner.

The hardware for burning chips I think I have sorted out.

G1 Memcal adapter
Burn1, because the ostrich is almost 100 bucks more. Would the Ostrich be worth the extra money for the convenience?
HDR1 so I can read the stock chip on the burn1
a couple of 27FS512 chips

Would a WB02 sensor be a worthwhile investment?

The would love to play with an EBL, but I want to keep this project from snowballing.

Is there anything I'm missing as far as the ECM swap goes?

I'm thinking of getting rid of the EGR too. Does EGR actually improve highway mileage, is it worth keeping?

I can't wait to swap out my crappy 2.73 gears for some 3.42's with some sort of locker or LSD as well. Between that and another 75-90hp, it will be quite the change.

MANY thanks in advance!

Last edited by Fracture; 04-07-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:33 AM

Re: Truck TBI future fun & games

Bump for some answers?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's

Originally Posted by Fracture
So I've been reading the TBI and DIY PROM boards for a few weeks now, trying do digest everything out there.

I have a '90 C1500 (5.7L), and I would like some more power come rebuild time - I don't want to spend a fortune, this is just my truck.

I already have some 1 5/8" "mid-length" wysco ceramic headers, and 2 1/2" exhaust going to a Y-pipe, then 3" to a Magnaflow 5x11 3" I/O muffler.

When rebuild time comes, I'd like to add some stuff, but keeping the 193 heads and stock intake to keep costs down. I've heard the stock TBI intake is a pretty good piece up to 4500 rpm.

The engine will never see more than 5000 rpm, with the majority of it's time spent from 1500 to 3000 rpm. I am shooting for 275-300hp here.

More likely its a flat tappet. something with 200-212 at the intake with <.480" lift and a mild ramp should be good if youll be keeping the heads as is

TPI Fuel Pump
FederalMogul H423NP pistons (should give me 9.0:1 depending on how far down they are in the hole - my quench will suck though, probably around 0.080")
Ultimate TBI mods
Pertronix or MSD HEI Coil and module (which brand, and are they worth it??)
I'd also like to fab up a dual 14" electric fan setup, and make my own shroud.
I'd like to do a mild port job on the heads, and gasket match the intake. I'm no machinist, but I'm fairly capable with my hands, so I believe this is within my abilities.
Valve springs with pressures similar to LT4 springs.

Now for the questions -

I have a 7747 ECM. I also have access to a 93-95 TBI Truck PCM. I've read Fast355's thread here https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/...light=PCM+swap,

and

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/atta...-x-over-01.gif

Re-pinning makes a few more questions pop up - I do need the connectors from the 7427 right?

Rosesandwrenches.com has the connectors. The 32-pin blue and red ones are what you need

The PCM questions keep coming too -

I'm using a 700R4 instead of a 4L60E. What is required to make the 93-95 PCM happy?

All you need to do is check off the option for a non-CC trans and wire the brake siwtch up and the TCC to the "PWM TCC" output, and your good to go.

I understand that I need a knock sensor from a 93-95 as well, correct?

Yes, or mod the existing one to have the correct resistance

I have no IAT sensor. After swapping, I would assume I need one? Does it matter where I put it - I was thinking in the base of the air cleaner.

No. TBI doesnt use the IAT due to how the system works. Can put it in if you want, though. The PCM has the options to use it.

The hardware for burning chips I think I have sorted out.

G1 Memcal adapter
Burn1, because the ostrich is almost 100 bucks more. Would the Ostrich be worth the extra money for the convenience? Cant hurt. Itll speed up the process
HDR1 so I can read the stock chip on the burn1
a couple of 27FS512 chips

Would a WB02 sensor be a worthwhile investment? YES!!!

The would love to play with an EBL, but I want to keep this project from snowballing.

Is there anything I'm missing as far as the ECM swap goes? The PCM, adapter, and repinning should have you covered. Just read up on what needs to be connected to what.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the EGR too. Does EGR actually improve highway mileage, is it worth keeping? It cant hurt, but you can live without it if youll be tuning. Not really needed.

I can't wait to swap out my crappy 2.73 gears for some 3.42's with some sort of locker or LSD as well. Between that and another 75-90hp, it will be quite the change.

MANY thanks in advance!
See above...

Last edited by dimented24x7; 04-02-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:05 PM

Thanks dimented - yes, the cam is a flat tappet - I had to change the intake gaskets last year, but the block has provisions for a roller setup, and I'd like to switch to a roller when I rebuild.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:18 PM

Thanks dimented - yes, the cam is a flat tappet - I had to change the intake gaskets last year, but the block has provisions for a roller setup, and I'd like to switch to a roller when I rebuild.
There is a rumor that some did have roller cams but I never have seen proof. Mostly ego talk I believe. But your block most likely has provisions for the spider tray. So all you would need to swap to a roller cam would be the roller lifters, spider tray and retainers, front cam retainer plate and the cam.

Brian

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

I Got the above information from FSC.

- B
Old 04-06-2007, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by 1badz71tahoe
There is a rumor that some did have roller cams but I never have seen proof. Mostly ego talk I believe. But your block most likely has provisions for the spider tray. So all you would need to swap to a roller cam would be the roller lifters, spider tray and retainers, front cam retainer plate and the cam.

Brian

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

I Got the above information from FSC.

- B
Perhaps I wasn't clear - Yes, my current cam is a flat tappet - I've seen it myself when I changed intake gaskets last year. The block is cast with the provisions for a roller setup however. I've got a stock spider, lifters, and dog bones coming, I just need the cam and retainer plate.

Last edited by Fracture; 04-07-2007 at 01:52 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 93 GM300 platforms
Engine: LO3, LO5
Transmission: MD8 x2

The engine will never see more than 5000 rpm, with the majority of it's time spent from 1500 to 3000 rpm. I am shooting for 275-300hp here.

Change your mind on this one. You'll need help to reach your goal and sucking in heated air won't help.

Yes -- cheaper than a new LT4 cam.

TPI Fuel Pump
or step up to either the LT1 fuel pump, or go with aftermarket equivalent.

I'm the wrong guy to comment on the piston choice, but I will comment on the quench --- avoid having a poor quench at all costs. You will throw away power as a result. The TBI fullsize cars and trucks used 9.3:1 on the iron swirl port heads, so you ought to try to equal that.

It is; pay close attention to rounding sharp edges (the boss from which the valve stems emerge for example; the visible end of the swirl ramp as viewed from the intake manifold side of the intake runner). Sharp edges inhibit flow, it's true in the heads just as it is on the ultimate TBI mods. Reread Fast355's and DynoDon's posts and look carefully at the HRM 4.3 v6 ported pix (also swirl port).

There was a recent thread on this -- IMO it's better to place it in one of the unused casting bungs of the intake manifold. THat way it samples the air temp of the air actually entering the head AFTER it's cooled by evapoative fuel cooling and heated by the water jacket in the intake casting.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the EGR too. Does EGR actually improve highway mileage, is it worth keeping?
IMO keep it. EGR doesn't work at WOT so it's not a cause for power reduction when it's working properly.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:33 PM

Thanks

As far as the open air cleaner goes, I was thinking that since the factory intake is a heated design, the slight change in intake air temperature caused by the open element would be outweighed by the greater amount of airflow. I figured the factory air cleaner maintains an intake air temperature that's quite warm because of the flapper that directs air from the exhaust manifold, so the open element couldn't be sucking air any warmer than that. Aftermarket CAI's seem to just stick a cone filter near the hole in the fenderwell that the factory air silencer would sit, so I don't know how much of a benefit that would be. I'll have to look into some of the other designs out there.

As far as pistons goes - I can deck the block so the pistons are .030" in the hole, use a .028" thick head gasket, and that will net me 9.3:1, give or take a wee bit. Quench still is a little big at .058" though.

I'll have to look into putting a coolant temp sensor in the manifold to serve as a MAT then, once I swap the ECM's and get into tuning.

Perhaps I set my HP goal a little high. With an LT1 cam I don't think that 250-270hp is out of line though.

Last edited by Fracture; 04-08-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 93 GM300 platforms
Engine: LO3, LO5
Transmission: MD8 x2

As far as the open air cleaner goes, I was thinking that since the factory intake is a heated design, the slight change in intake air temperature caused by the open element would be outweighed by the greater amount of airflow.
Remember that the heated air is only supposed to be used during warmup; once the exh manifold is hot enough, the Thermac is supposed to move to allow cool exterior air into the engine. So the heated-intake-air is only a means to hasten engine warmup.

Secondly, the mistake almost everyone on this forum makes is the idea that a large air filter will result in big power gains. The truth is that power gains will only happen from an air cleaner swap if the stock air cleaner // element was a restriction to air flow to begin with. Certainly the stock air cleaner is designed to keep engine roar to a minimum, but what about the pressure difference across the air cleaner? Is there much of a pressure reduction? (This subject has been covered before on TGO). The other factor is how stock, or how modified, is the engine? The stock air cleaner might not offer much flow resistance (pressure drop) on a nearly stock engine; on one of Fast355's 300+ fwhp engines it probably would.

Summarized: you might get a power gain from an air cleaner swap if the one being replaced had significant flow losses; you WILL get a power gain by pulling cold air into the engine; if you can accomplish BOTH, then you're doing the best you can.

... Perhaps I set my HP goal a little high. With an LT1 cam I don't think that 250-270hp is out of line though.
GM got to 275-285 in the Fcar using 215/150 cfm LT1 heads, so if you can DIY port to nearly that level while keeping most of the swirl (for fast burn) then you'll have no trouble getting there (proven many times by Fast355). The effort will then be in tuning to get ALL the power over all the rpms.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:13 PM

I thought that the stock air cleaner was more of a restriction than you've made it out to be - I thought the 1 1/2" spacer on top of the throttle body, coupled to a dropped base air cleaner would hamper flow considerably. That's why I was thinking of ditching it in favour of something else.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:42 AM

Car: 1995 K1500 Yukon 2-Dr and 1982 Z-28
Engine: truck: 350hp 454 car: 485hp 355
Transmission: truck:5spd car: Doug Nash 5spd
Axle/Gears: truck: stock car: Dana44 w 3:23

I would LOVE to swap out my crappy 3.42s for a set of 2.73s!!!!!!!!!!!! do you know what's different between the two years? i think brakes changed in 95.

E!
Old 02-15-2009, 09:51 AM

I know nothing about the brakes changing, sorry, or what complete rearends would fit. I'd guess all the 10 (and 12) bolt's from the 73-99 trucks would fit though. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.